Author Topic: NBC's Dracula Series - Alec Newman ('04 Barnabas) Guest Stars - See Reply #19  (Read 3772 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

I may be the only fan posting here who has been watching this series.

Oh, you're not the only one - I've watched every ep and I'm really enjoying the show.

It's all very character driven but has enough spectacular violence to keep horror fans tuning in.

One of the things I like most about it. If only hoDS had used a similar balance. But no, when it came to too many character moments, DC's mantra was cut cut cut.  ::)

The actress who plays Mina Murray has a quality to her that I find very reminiscent of Joanna Going.

I've had similar thoughts.

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
I'm also enjoying it - there are all sorts of unexpected twists to it.  There are a couple of plot points which are straight from the original DS, which was interesting.
Josette

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
In the previous post I forgot to mention the bit where they used his sense of smell and how he was able to sniff out where they had gone.  One hears of traits like that with vampires, but I don't recall ever seeing one depicted like that.  I thought that was a really good touch.
Josette

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
I agree, Josette.  In general, the physicality and animal verve of JRM in his performance is one of the main things that really gives this show a different twist.

I really can't get over how stunning the clothes are, as well.  Those trailing trains in the ball sequence kept making me think of Aubrey Beardsley.

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
More Dark Shadows plot elements surfaced in episode 6.  The series seems to make reference not just to the original series, but to hoDS, 1991 DS, AND the Burton/Depp production, at times.

I have heard through the grapevine that the show is now on hiatus until sometime in Jan.

G.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Alex Newman's DS connections are strengthened by his involvement with Big Finish. He plays 3 roles in the audio plays. Two new characters and [spoiler]he also plays an adult David Collins[/spoiler].

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
The Dracula series ratings have been going up and it is now tied for #1 across significant demographics:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/12/07/nbc-ties-for-1-with-week-to-week-gains-for-dateline-grimm-dracula/220758/

The next new episode airs Jan. 3.

Meanwhile, one of the producers is in the throes of pitching a Wolfman pilot (with Universal's copyrighted Lawrence Talbot character) to the network.

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Impressive numbers! Thanks so much for posting the link, Gothick.  [santa_smiley]