Author Topic: NBC's Dracula Series - Alec Newman ('04 Barnabas) Guest Stars - See Reply #19  (Read 3779 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: NBC's Dracula Series
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 07:11:08 PM »
I know it's been mentioned, about "Dracula" having same time-slot as '90 DS series; but, the Zap2It didn't really seem to thrilled....

Funny that I haven't seen any type of 'coming this fall' type commercials; I may not watch NBC perse, but NBC is partnered with USA and other channels.

Patti
What a Woman!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 07:21:20 PM »
Speaking of promos, I'm loving all the teaser promos NBC is currently running for the show - I've caught like five different ones in the past two days. In more ways than one the situation definitely reminds me of the buildup to the '91 DS. I can't wait for the October 25th premiere!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 11:55:51 PM »
Access Hollywood did a segment on Dracula ("with all the blood, love, and lust you'd expect") tonight. Now I really can't wait until the 25th!!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 12:45:09 AM »
Sounds potentially intriguing. 

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 07:35:15 PM »
'Dracula': A sexier, naughtier retelling of Bram Stoker's original version

The "True Love Never Dies" promo is probably the one that most reminds me of the '91 DS promos. And that tag line is reminiscent of the '91 DS' tag "A Love Story Beyond Time." If the marketing campaign for Dracula is any indication, I suspect we're going to see a lot of similarities between the two shows. Though Dracula will have an even shorter run than the '91 DS did because I'm pretty sure they're only making 10 one hour eps.

Also, the "Dracula: First Look" featurette makes the show look even more interesting than some of the promos do. The show just might turn out to be quite an enjoyable and wild ride - well, for those of us who love vampires.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 01:41:38 AM »
I haven't really had a chance to see most of the previews, with the exception of a couple of quick ads, but I'm in!  I look forward to it starting!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 08:28:43 PM »

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 05:10:02 AM »
Why You Should Take a Stab at NBC's New Dracula
For starters, it's grotesquely erotic!

And this isn't the only article to recommend the show - I've seen nothing but fantastic reviews.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 10:46:31 PM »
Episode 1 is available for free streaming here:

http://www.nbc.com/dracula/video/the-blood-is-the-life/n42270/

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2013, 12:00:40 AM »
There is a blonde vampire hunter in this one who would make a fab 1890s Angelique...

G.

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2013, 06:59:51 AM »
And this isn't the only article to recommend the show - I've seen nothing but fantastic reviews.

I liked it.  I hadn't  read anything about it before seeing it, and so was surprised by a lot of it.  I then read a number of reviews and all of the ones I've seen DIDN'T like it.
Josette

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2013, 04:47:40 PM »
I liked it as well. Was it perfect? No. But then, as I've often said, no show (or film) is. What I have seen I've enjoyed.

As far as reviews go, I've now seen slightly more favorable than unfavorable. Variety and Entertainment Weekly really liked it. TV Guide and Zap2it did not. And on the PBS review show Just Seen It, which uses three critics in its reviews, one reviewer literally hated it, while the other two really liked it. Apparently the show is one of those that you either love or hate with little middle ground.

Of course, purist reviewers have had problems with the changes. One thing I've most often seen cited in the unfavorable reviews is making Van Helsing Dracula's ally rather than his main protagonist. But making changes like that can actually freshen things because they're not what's expected. I suppose it does remain to be seen how things in that relationship play out, but at this point I think having Van Helsing revive/release Dracula is a great new twist.

Also, reviewers have complained that the show isn't violent or sexy enough. Though the mere fact that some are complaining on those fronts is interesting in and of itself because this take on Dracula isn't on cable, it's on network TV, where there are much stricter standards against violence and sex. That being said, though, apparently the quotient of both will be ratcheted up in future eps because Variety says the "series pushes boundaries in terms of gore, torture and sex."

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2013, 07:56:28 PM »
A friend said that she read somewhere online as regards the forthcoming plot twists that[spoiler]a gay subplot is due to surface, and I'm really hoping it will be Dracula/Harker.  Even PG rated, those two together will be INCENDIARY.[/spoiler]

I think if you're a fan of Victoriana, steampunk, and Jonathan Rhys Meyers, you'll love it.  Especially if you're a fan of all three. 

The actress I think would make a good Angelique is apparently named Victoria Smurfit and she is the mother of three children.  Great screen presence from her... and like JRM, born in Dublin.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile