Author Topic: Who are the lucky ones....who's going to the Fest and/or Newport?  (Read 8185 times)

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
  • Jag gillar Dark Shadows!
    • View Profile
Re:Who are the lucky ones....who's going to the Fest and/or Newport?
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2003, 04:12:35 PM »
It looks like I will be going to the Festival this Saturday and plan on returning on Monday.  Unfortunately, I will not make it to Newport or the Sunday banquet.

I do hope to meet at least some of you there, although I am disappointed that you will not be one of them, Birdie!  Don't suppose that Vlad can make it either?  When I attended the Fest back in 2001 (weeks before 9/11), GingerCat and I were happy to connect with several of you.  Unfortunately, this time GingerCat has family obligations Labor Day weekend and I'll be coming solo, but I guess we happybats sometimes do that.   ;D

But I have no costume - yikes!   Does anyone here have a schedule of events for the weekend other than what I see in the Fest site?  I'll be buying my ticket at the door.

Question no. 2: Is there anyone here driving to the Boston area on Monday?  I live in Concord.  Can't hurt to ask!

Hope to see many of you soon!!!  [wavey]
Happybat

"One can only truly understand what one can create"--Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2003, 05:15:09 PM »
But I have no costume - yikes!   Does anyone here have a schedule of events for the weekend other than what I see in the Fest site?  I'll be buying my ticket at the door.

Go to http://mrjuggins.topcities.com/gram/gram.htm and select Update #99.

Your 2001 costume was SO gorgeous, HappyBat!  But costume or no, it's a bummer I won't get to see you.  *sigh*

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2003, 05:45:54 PM »
Go to http://mrjuggins.topcities.com/gram/gram.htm and select Update #99.

Your 2001 costume was SO gorgeous, HappyBat!  But costume or no, it's a bummer I won't get to see you.  *sigh*

Thanks a bunch for the info and the compliment, Midnight!  Frankly, I thought I looked like a little fat piggy in that costume.  :-   Lesson learned:  never, ever wear a dress like that without the appropriate ... ahem ... support.

So I won't be seeing you either?  A bummer indeed!

I gather that the Fest will be in the Brooklyn Heights area?  Am seriously considering Priceline for an even better deal on a room in the area, if there is one to be had.
Happybat

"One can only truly understand what one can create"--Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher

Offline LoveAtFirstBITE

• Full Poster
  • A repressed hysteric
    • View Profile
Re:Who are the lucky ones....
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2003, 08:08:31 PM »
I'm in love with Barnabas so you can hang with me if Terry isn't there.  I'll be in the lobby at 4 p.m. ish on Friday. 

Awwwww, thanks Victoria.  ;)
But I don't think I'm going to be there Friday.

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2003, 02:34:03 AM »
And i'd love to help folks get around. . .i'll be around the weekend before Halloween but soon thereafter hoofing it ot San Francisco to deal with all my crap that's in storage since I'm staying in New York . .oh did i mention that?
Julia99

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2003, 03:04:25 AM »
Well, this is starting to sound excellent!

maybe we could do the Halloween parade in Greenwich Village!

Sat. before H'ween is likely to be a good one for me.  I'm in  Canada the weekend of Columbus Day, and am helping to run workshops the following weekend.

I'm feeling very excited at the thought of being once again in the company of the legendary Marginalia du Pres!  Not to mention the handsome and mysterious Claude North ... and the Legend That Is Connie!

Jennifer, would be great to have you come too!  maybe we could do the bus from Chinatown together.  Having a companion would make the time on the road pass more pleasantly.

wow maybe we can make this work!i also agree fall is the best time
this w/e is just too hard and i curse that it was changed!
steve i work in the cambridge area and will have more free time
in the fall so we really should meet!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2003, 07:03:35 AM »
Awwwww, thanks Victoria.  ;)
But I don't think I'm going to be there Friday.
I'll still be there on Sat. and Sunday.  I'll also be in the costume event.  See ya "backstage"?

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2003, 04:18:25 PM »
It looks like I will be going to the Festival this Saturday and plan on returning on Monday.  Unfortunately, I will not make it to Newport or the Sunday banquet.

I do hope to meet at least some of you there

I remember meeting you, fellow librarian, outside the bar on Saturday night in 2001. I will be at the Fest and hope to get the chance to say hello.  [wavey]

Bette [read]
Life works if you let it

Offline LoveAtFirstBITE

• Full Poster
  • A repressed hysteric
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2003, 05:34:55 PM »
I'll still be there on Sat. and Sunday.  I'll also be in the costume event.  See ya "backstage"?

Forgive me for being dumb, but what is the costume event about?  I mean, is it a contest or something?  Where is "backstage?"  The lobby?

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2003, 08:49:19 PM »
For the benefit of those of us that can't be there, one of the fans attending this weekend generously offered to email some pics of the event via cell phone (ain't technology grand?!), and I'll try to get them up on this board as quickly as I can.  They'll be cell phone quality pics, but it should make for some good vicarious enjoyment (GVE ;)).  So please be sure to check back this weekend cuz after that, depending on their quality, it's hard to say how long some or all of them will remain posted.  :D

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2003, 08:58:43 PM »
If my plans go through successfully, I will be at the fest all three days.  I am having a t-shirt made that says, "Buy Robservations Here."  I will have Robservations CD's with me for sale, and I hope to meet all the wonderful people I've known in the past and and those I haven't yet met!

Love, Robin

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2003, 09:17:36 PM »
I remember meeting you, fellow librarian, outside the bar on Saturday night in 2001. I will be at the Fest and hope to get the chance to say hello.  [wavey]

Dear Fellow Librarian Bette, your memory is obviously better than mine! Looking forward to meeting you and the others Saturday evening and Sunday.

I'll be the shy, blonde gal looking a bit daunted by the crowd ...  [blshy] [book2]
Happybat

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2003, 09:34:22 PM »
And, for you Willie Loomis fans, be sure to stop by Mary Overstreet's table and pick up a copy of her latest fanzine, Karlenzine IV. It is full of great stories and pix on our lovable servant/slave of Barnabas. Just received my copy today and it is chock full(320+pages) of stories, poems and wonderful art work.
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2003, 04:08:15 AM »
Forgive me for being dumb, but what is the costume event about?  I mean, is it a contest or something?  Where is "backstage?"  The lobby?

It's mostly about either dressing as your fav DS character or performing a speech or singing a song.  Last year I recited an opening monologue of victoria.  Some have very elborate costumes, other wore street clothes.  This year I'm going to sing sans elborate costume.

I used quotations around "backstage" because it really isn't backstage, it's another conference room that they have where they line us all up.  It's really not a contest because there are no prizes or judging, it's about having fun.  To see what happened last year, you can check out page 4 of my Fest 2002 page.  Here is the click.
This is more than likely my last chance to check the board.  All my drugs are packed and I'm ready to go!  So, hope to see you there!

P.S.  There is never a dumb question.