Author Topic: Favorite character in 1795  (Read 4803 times)

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
Favorite character in 1795
« on: March 02, 2002, 11:39:46 PM »
It would be interesting to know from the posters on the board, who their favorite charater is from the 1795 storyline and why.  Sort of a poll being conducted here. Since I initiated the request, that, of course ;D, eliminates me from participation!
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

thom

Re: Favorite character in 1795
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2002, 12:08:08 AM »
Hi! New to this board and I love it! The screen caps are excellent. I loved DS from its first episode in 66 - I was 5 years old and watched the first show w/ Victoria andwas hooked. I had a massive crush on Carolyn and her long blonde hair when I was little -sort of like the crush I had for Mia farrow and her long blonde hair on Peyton Place in the 60's. Oh well...answer to your question...Angelique of course. Lara Parker was masterful in this role and you can see her confidence growing everyday in the role. The way she fixed her eyes was priceless. You hated Angelique's evil deeds but you loved her for doing them.  :)

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2002, 12:36:56 AM »
There are several characters in this story line that I really like.  My favorite is probably Ben Stokes.  He faced a great conflict, torn between aiding "Mr. Barnabas," his friend and master, and serving Angelique, Barnabas's greatest enemy; the former he preferred to do, the latter he was forced to do.  In spite of the negative circumstances in his way, Stokes managed to develop into a positive force and stands out as one of the most admirable 'good guys' in the whole show.  I was a little surprised by his violent attitude in the first few episodes.  His murderous hatred of Joshua struck me as reminiscent of Matthew Morgan, quite unlike the nonviolent figure that Stokes later becomes.  Like many people in 1795, he didn't deserve the terrible things that happened to him, but unlike them he managed to come through it rather well.

Countess Natalie is a pretty interesting character too.  She's a very strong and independent woman, which is unusual for this time period and for DS in general.  I really enjoy her scenes with Joshua.  I also like Naomi.  She's one of the nicest characters in this tragedy, as upcoming events will show, and one of the most innocent.  It's clear that she hasn't had a very happy life.  Of all the victims in 1795, I think that she was the least deserving of suffering.  

ProfStokes  

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2002, 01:21:57 AM »
Another Poll?

I liked Stokes so far.  I thought TD was masterful in showing his joyful emotions at working for Barnabas rather than Joshua, so touching.

Natalie is cool too. Those 1-liners are priceless.  But she doesn't do too much in this storyline.

And thought I'm not the biggest LP fan, I do admire what she's doing. . just a few days on the job and she's already seduced us. . .

Julia99
p.s. yes the glow thing is the only font attribute i've figured out so far. .

Julia99

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2002, 02:01:24 AM »
I love Barnabas.  It came on when I was 10 years old, and I had this big crush on Barnabas.  A few years have gone by and I still have a crush on him.  Barnabas, hands down.
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2002, 02:13:51 AM »
Well, of course, Josette DuPres.  But since that's a given, I'll go ahead and say that my other favorites are the Countess Natalie DuPres and - for some totally unknown reason - Auntie Abigail.  Something about that woman rocks my world.

Gerard

Offline dsannabelle

• Who refuses to grow up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2002, 06:22:05 AM »
I agree with you Gerald :)

I like dear "sweet" Aunt Abigail. She reminds me of
another lady we both know - Mrs. Johnson. It doesn't
matter to her what other people think, she just
calls it like she sees it  :P

Annabelle
;D

This is fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2002, 06:47:58 AM »
Any role Lara Parker plays would be one of my favorites. She is fantastic! :-*
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2002, 08:52:25 AM »
Hi! New to this board [snip]I had a massive crush on Carolyn and her long blonde hair when I was little -sort of like the crush I had for Mia farrow and her long blonde hair on Peyton Place in the 60's.

Welcome Thom!   -- Love it when new folks turnup, or carrot, or potato --  as a 'first generation' viewer as well, isn't it great to see these kids catch the 'fever'.

[insert Sarcasm Icon here][jester]
But I can't imagine having a 'crush' on one of the ladies on the show, could you, Gerard?
[removing S/I]

Now if you asked who was the loveliest, that would indeed be a gimmee, per Gerard [pls see avatar]

But my fave character, is Ben.  What a friend.
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2002, 02:06:22 PM »
Hey Ringo,

Now that is a good looking couple pictured on your post! :o
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2002, 04:38:53 PM »
I like Ben the best in this storyline becauses he tries so hard to protect barnabas but just can't win against Angelique
jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2002, 05:35:17 PM »
It would be interesting to know from the posters on the board, who their favorite charater is from the 1795 storyline and why.  Sort of a poll being conducted here.

I am assuming that by "favorite" we aren't talking the best critical performance.

If that is the case, than I'm going to go with Millicent.  Nancy Barrett was hysterical playing the epitome of the empty-headed "ideal" female.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2002, 10:01:09 PM »
Barnabas will always be my favorite character, in this and every other storyline, but Angelique's evil and beauty fascinates me now as it did when I first saw this storyline in the 60's.  I think Joshua is a most complex man, a man who feels emotions, particularly love of his family, deep down inside, but can't show it because that's not what was expected of men back then.  Naomi's sadness and drinking reminded me of my mother's problems, sorry to say, but I admired and pitied her, and wished her more happiness than she found.

While Josette seems relatively superficial at first, sweet and demure, she displays a strength and courage later in the storyline that surprises.  She is far more than she appears to be, and I can understand why Barnabas fell in love with her.  

Natalie delighted me with her forthright nature and retorts to Joshua; Millicent's silliness masked a deepening insanity and inability to deal with life; Nathan went from good friend to Barnabas and protector of Vicki to something completely opposite.  As well as Forbes filled out his Navy uniform, he was also a character of depth and complexity.  

Even Andre had his moments in this storyline, enough that I've never forgotten him.  

Love, Robin

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2002, 10:18:25 PM »
I guess I would have to say Barnabas because I do look forward to the episodes he is in.  What a hard poll!  This is a fantastic story line with wonderful charactors.  Everyone else who has posted has brought up great points.  Even though I watched in the 60's I didn't start until the pre-Quentin story line.  I am loving 1795!  I think I might have said this before. :).  Looking forward to tomorrow episode.  My fingers are crossed that the VCR is working properly.  A big sign will be on the T.V. not to touch as I will be leaving for work before everyone else leaves for work/school.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Thom

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2002, 10:29:34 PM »
Hi Ringo - thanks for the welcome and loved your 'sarcasm'! Of course my 'crush' on those lovely ladies ended when I realized I was gay and then I started looking at David Selby in a different way. And Don Briscoe and so on and so on. Did any daytime show(other than maybe Y & R or Love Is A Many Splendored Thing) have so many goodlooking people? Hmmm...