Author Topic: OT: Joan and George  (Read 614 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
OT: Joan and George
« on: March 15, 2013, 07:47:29 PM »
I finally purchased the current (January-March?) issue of Video Watchdog--if you have a Barnes and Noble store in your area, you may be able to see the mag there.  There's a big feature with Quentin Tarantino (noted DS fan) discussing his list of his 50 favorite sequels.  One of the more obscure titles is "Son of Monte Cristo" co-starring George Sanders and our very own Joan Bennett.  There's a great still in the article showing Joan and George playing a tense scene together.  It was a cool thing to see.

There has been correspondence in the past couple of issues concerning last Summer's roundtable feature on DS, and editor Tim Lucas has made known his interest in doing a follow-up roundtable at some point on aspects of the series not covered in the original feature.

The mag also includes a long review essay on the upgraded Universal "Blu Ray" releases of their classic horror films (including The Mummy, The Invisible Man, and The Bride of Frankenstein), and reviews of releases of two of my favorite horror films, Horror Express (1972) and The Torture Chamber of Dr. Sadism (1967).  Unfortunately the latter review is for a Germany-only DVD release.

cheers, G.

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: OT: Joan and George
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 10:01:35 PM »
Hi  Gothick  how cool  is that !   Will  have to check it out.  Thanks for sharing with us.
              Love  Anne   [snow_kiss] :):)
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

David

Re: OT: Joan and George
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 10:31:39 PM »
Son of Monte Cristo was directed by Rowland Lee, who also directed Karloff & Lugosi in Son of Frankenstein (1939).
Which means that dear Joan bridged the gap between the Universal Studios monster flicks and DS, which was inspired by those movies!