Author Topic: OT (sort of): Veronica Mars Fans Funding Film  (Read 619 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
OT (sort of): Veronica Mars Fans Funding Film
« on: March 14, 2013, 08:26:54 PM »
I don't know how many of you were fans of the series Veronica Mars, but the long rumored and hoped for film follow-up to the series is finally going to happen thanks to fans funding the film themselves. Creator/writer Rob Thomas set up a page at kickstart.com for fans and other supporters to potentially raise $2 million dollars to get the film rolling - and in a bit over a day they've already surpassed that goal and are on their way to $3 million or more: The Veronica Mars Movie Project (And just look at the extras one gets for pledging.)

If only someone had tried this tact with a potential DS film - something that could have been a sequel to the original show with the original cast (as was proposed back in the mid-'80s) or another new take on the show as in a TV film. Though, of course, there are probably far fewer DS fans around than there are Veronica Mars fans because the fanbase for that show is still legion, so who knows if it could have even worked with DS fandom? But I suppose we'll never know...

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: OT (sort of): Veronica Mars Fans Funding Film
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 05:06:22 PM »
A very interesting follow-up article, particularly considering VM is a WB project:

'Veronica Mars,' Kickstarter and (maybe) the brave new world of fan-funded projects

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: OT (sort of): Veronica Mars Fans Funding Film
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 06:23:39 PM »
Well, I bought the entire series, so I do hope that 'helped the cause'.

Patti

PS, I haven't even started watching it yet, and I've owned it for about six months.....
What a Woman!