Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0413  (Read 731 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0413
« on: March 14, 2013, 05:34:44 PM »
Robservations #413

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0413

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 09:12:53 PM »
Vicki doesn't want to drag Peter down with her. She breaks a social norm by kissing him on the cheek, thus proving to him that she really is (all together now) from another century.

Tender little scene on the stairs of the Great House with Naomi and Sarah. Both seem so unconcerned with the formality that so constrains Joshua. Sarah tells her mother that Riggs helped her make a candle, although this would not be among the duties of a male servant.

In trying to talk Barnabas out of suddenly materializing in front of Josette, Ben gets the quote of the day: Maybe just suddenly appearing would be a great shock to Miss Josette. After all, saying you're going to return from the dead and actually doing it are two different things.

Peter and Vicki persuade Naomi to keep Sarah indoors for a few days--just till after her birthday.

Looking out the window, Sarah sees her beloved brother. Wearing only her thin little nightdress and cap, she follows him--straight to the mausoleum. (The cemetery has somehow moved closer to Collinwood, temporarily at least.) She stands forlornly in the midst of the graveyard. Barnabas! she calls. Why won't you answer me? Then she opens the gates of the mausoleum and steps inside. Suddenly the gates blow shut, trapping her inside. She calls to Barnabas one last time, then disconsolately sits down on the icy stone floor. Her thin little robe is no protection. Already she is beginning to feel the damp and cold....

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 12:40:18 AM »
I wonder if someone suddenly realized, hey, we let Angelique (and her blackmailing of Barnabas) die without having Ang kill Sarah, so they had to invent another reason....

Bradford and Vicki's case needs to be that while she did come from the future, she's in the dark as to how or why, therefore she could be just another victim of the witch's mischief.   They wouldn't have to prove it, just point out that it's at least as likely as her being the witch, therefore nothing can be proven.

Sarah follows Barnabas (five miles on foot to Eagle Hill!), [spoiler]and thus she's the second to die because of loving Barnabas.[/spoiler]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 12:01:33 AM »
'Love' Bennett's last line in the OVO - "Held captive on a charge of witchcraft, Victoria Winters is the one person who knows that this is but the beginning of a two hundred year nightmare."

Vicki's holding up pretty well under the circumstances (She looks great!). I guess Vicki has met her match in the idiot department with Peter. Time will tell. For those of you who didn't like Burke & Vicki together - I hope you are satisfied now. Peter is falling for Vicki. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for her to fall for him and forget Burke.

So, the family history book says that Sarah dies on her birthday of exposure. I would have sworn Angelique killed Sarah with voodoo, but I guess I confused the two events. Hell, I am still waiting for Ange to reappear but I am beginning to think it's not going to happen. Vicki asks PB to bring Naomi to the jail so she can warn her of Sarah's impending death & it is obvious that this will only hurt her case, but I think at this point in time we have to assume that Vicki is never going to put herself first, before knowingly letting someone die, if she feels she can prevent it. That's pretty honorable and also, perhaps she feels that she is already doomed, so why not go out with dignity and self respect. I don't know.

Sharon Smyth is starting to look a bit more mature in the face. Has it been at least a year she since we met her? I agree with you DarkLady, I too, found the scene with Naomi & Sarah on the stairs very touching; It is a charming bit of realism and a nice break from all the tension and high drama. The fact that they both sat on the stairs was a real nice normal touch. And as you touched upon, a nice respite from the formality Joshua imposes on just about everyone. I must exclaim that Bennett looks totally gorgeous all made up and in this light with this particular camera. And those diamond emerald earrings are hypnotic - I found myself trying to find the center, lol. DarkLady! No fashion comments on Naomi?! I think you are working from notes? I think she is wearing a new dress. The lighting is very subdued so I am not sure of the color but I would say it is (crushed?) velvet, dark green, with lace frill around the neckline and short cuffs. I hope we see more of it in brighter light. Back to S&N, I really liked the writing here, using the candle to open up the dialogue between them regarding Barn & Josette and all that. Some might think 'filler', perhaps, but still engaging, and not totally wasteful as will be seen by episodes end.

Okay, I have been wanting to mention this 'forever'. Any 1950s TV Superman fans on here? The music playing during the beginning of the cemetery/mausoleum scene with Barnabas & Ben - this so reminds me of the suspense music that is used in the early (Phyllis Coates) Superman episodes. I keep meaning to try and find this music on the DS music library collection but I never remember to. Now that I've located it on the DS tape, I can at least compare it to Superman which I have on DVD. Anyone ever get the same impression?

So, the town bell tolls 19 times - I get it, but it was funny to me anyway. Ben meets Barn as he rises. Love the subtleties of Frid's performance until he opens his mouth. Frid has trouble with this scene, but that aside, it is a marvelous scene. Why I never noticed how perfect a character Ben is before this viewing is beyond me. Well, it probably has to do with the daunting task of trying to get through the whole series as soon as possible the first time around. This watching project is making all the difference for me. Ben is just what the doctor ordered where Barn is concerned. I mean he is really taking his job seriously and appears to have Barn's best interests at heart. When Barn asks what they are saying in town about the attacks I was hoping Ben was going to tell him that they are accusing Vicki. I've got Vicki on the brain - it's all I care about right now and I am getting impatient for Barn to take action.

Naomi & Vicki - I loved this scene and I am so grateful that Bennett made no mistakes. We can usually expect great scenes between these two and it is comforting as a Vicki fan when Liz or Naomi sides with her.
Barn & Sarah - Stupid Barnabas.
Sarah in the mausoleum - She looks less mature again. It must be that her neck is covered up, unlike when she was on the stairs with Naomi.

I'm still liking this series of episodes so far - no big complaints or distractions to whine about.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 12:28:42 AM »
Apologies, dom! Yes, Naomi's dark green velvet dress is a knockout. I love all Naomi's gowns in this story line. And somehow JB is at her most beautiful in 1795. She gets all the shadings of Naomi's character: patient, caring wife whose husband treats her coldly, so she resorts to the sherry bottle--her one weakness; excellent, loving mother whose love is returned with interest by both her children. She's really the heart of the family.

Better now? [snow_wink]

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 09:12:13 PM »
I agree that Joan Bennett looks breathtakingly beautiful here and much younger than how she was filmed in the present as Elizabeth. Suddenly Sarah's death is brought up. I don't like how some characters and stories are brought up then dropped for a long period of time. Barnabas can't stay away from Josette and causes Sarah to see him and go running outside into the coming storm. Vickie tries to change the past without thinking of the consequenses of her letting someone live who should have died. It would have been interesting to have her prevent someone from dying and then reading about what happened in the history book and realizing she has to make that person die or there will be no future for her.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 10:53:55 PM »
Vickie tries to change the past without thinking of the consequences of her letting someone live who should have died. It would have been interesting to have her prevent someone from dying and then reading about what happened in the history book and realizing she has to make that person die or there will be no future for her.

Yes, I'd like to see Victoria Winters, Time Fixer... roaming the countryside with a loaded musket, offing everyone she saved earlier, because as everyone knows, everything in the past must be left exactly totally and completely like it was before.   Unless you're Barnabas Collins...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor