Author Topic: NODS Podcast: Collinsport Historical Society Night of DS special  (Read 1293 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: NODS Podcast: Collinsport Historical Society Night of DS special
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 05:29:45 PM »
Wow!  this looks incredibly cool.  Excitement! I look forward to listening sometime over the weekend.

Best, G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 06:13:40 AM »
Just finished listening... truly fascinating!  It was cool to hear the clip of David Selby talking about re-looping his dialogue, too.

I think your point about Dan Curtis having anxiety around being perceived as somehow "arty" with the original cut of NoDS was very perceptive.

I'm surprised that the fans involved seemed unaware of the historical phenomenon of the double feature with horror movie marketing, which I'm sure had a lot to do with Aubrey's demand that it be cut down to a 90 minute (or close) length.

Best, G.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 10:21:17 AM »
The double feature point was raised during the podcast recording, by Mr. Nahmod I believe, but the recording went very long and had to be edited down...

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 03:45:54 PM »
How ironic is that?

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 06:03:56 PM »
It was kind of cute (if maybe a little stereotypical) that the main guy got so excited when he thought there might be footage out there of either Parker or Jackson displaying breasts in the lost footage.

Again, thanks for a fascinating evening!

G.

David

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 06:11:43 PM »
I, for the most part, can't recall what I said, lol, and can't listen to my own voice!

The one thing that I remember saying, which I also wrote in a monster mag:
HODS is Curtis' Hammer film.
NODS is his Ingmar Bergman film.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 11:30:49 PM »
I have to disagree with one thing that was said on the Podcast. There was a point made, and I'm paraphrasing here, perhaps incorrectly, that NODS was not truly a DS story. I can't speak for everyone of course, but for me, it always felt like true DS. I started reading the Ross novel, the comics and watched DS in the first syndication in 1976.  For me DS was Barnabas, Quentin, and the...whatever.  The fact that it had Quentin and Angelique and haunted goings on at Collinwood made it feel like DS to me. It's true I found it disoncerting that Quentin was not a werewolf or immortal as he was in the novels and the comics. The feeling was strengthened by the presence of Nancy Barrett, John Karlen, Grayson Hall, and Thayer David. I had no idea who Pennock, Storm, and Millay were, aside from images from old magazines. I never had a problem with it as a DS story.  Keep in mind also, NODS is a reworking of the PT 1970 story and as such is still fairly closely linked to the original show.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 04:34:54 PM »
Hi, Doctor and K9, what I recall from my own listening is that a fan (maybe David, b/c I know he was around back then--don't know about the others) was commenting that he saw the movie in a theatre at the time and his friends were saying that the story did not feel like DS to them and they felt it WASN'T DS.  Presumably, they were expecting the second movie to involve Barnabas, or at least material more directly related to what was shown in the original series.  I think once you drop that expectation--that it's going to be somehow a re-telling of a story from the OS--it's actually a much better film--and certainly would have a greater likelihood of being seen as such, if the story it told were all there.  As Darren carefully explains in the tape, the whole climax, and point of the story, is missing from what we have now.

One comment about Darren's summing up of the missing climax:  [spoiler]Darren quotes a line of dialogue where someone, I think the John Karlen character, says after the recovery of the bodies of Charles and Angelique (btw, I had missed that Angelique's remains were left in the same cubbyhole where Charles was walled up alive--egads!)  that it's clear now that Angelique wasn't a Witch.  I still feel from what is seen and shown in the movie that it's ambivalent.  The Chinese would describe Angelique as a "hungry ghost," a spirit who had acquired great power due to having suffered a death through injustice.  At the very least, it's clear that when Angelique was alive, she was a very strong-willed woman who had the ability to make others do her bidding.  Witchcraft or sheer human charisma?  I think it is ambivalent and that blurry area is, to me, one of the most satisfying things about the story.[/spoiler]

btw, I do not know if it was ever announced here, but Wallace did an earlier podcast with KLS about hoDS.  I plan to listen to it at some point soon.

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 05:31:18 PM »
One comment about Darren's summing up of the missing climax:  [spoiler]Darren quotes a line of dialogue where someone, I think the John Karlen character, says after the recovery of the bodies of Charles and Angelique (btw, I had missed that Angelique's remains were left in the same cubbyhole where Charles was walled up alive--egads!)  that it's clear now that Angelique wasn't a Witch.[/spoiler]

It's a line delivered by[spoiler]Quentin during the seance:

NoDS: Scene #233 - Quentin: 'We know you were
not a witch, that your death was unjust. We have
found your bodies...yours and Charles'. We have
buried them in holy ground.'
[/spoiler]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 01:11:26 AM »
Thanks, MB.  I still don't see, even within the logic of the full script, how Quentin "knows" that.  In fact, I'd argue that what happens in the remaining action of the film pretty much belies his belief in that altogether.

Just how I see it--other viewers may disagree, of course!

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 01:33:07 AM »
You're not alone - I agree with you.  [snow_wink]  And I think an interesting discussion would be to try to pin down just what it is that allows Angelique to continue on at Collinwood after Carlotta's death - particularly because a few different possibilities are pointed at. Though, of course, none of that is a discussion for this topic. It's much more suited to the type of topic that would be on the Current Talk board.  [snow_smiley]

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 05:19:18 AM »
Gothick your point about expectations is a valid one. I knew up front that Barnabas would not be in the movie. I also forgot to mention that Cobert's music helps make it DS. Think about it. The Trek movies all had new music. Lost in Space had another score.I would like to know if John Williams was asked. If they never bothered, I would consider that to be a major blunder, one of many in that movie. MOst if not all TV shows that crossover to the silver screen end up having all new music. DS is blessed to have the same composer in all of the versions done in the 20th Century.