Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0409  (Read 678 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0409
« on: March 09, 2013, 05:40:09 PM »
Robservations #409

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0409

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 10:49:07 PM »
Wow, what a great episode. I was totally engrossed. At this point, Natalie's sarcasm towards Vicki seems a bit misplaced. Natalie & Josette browse the family history. The all-wise Natalie rationalizes as she reads so as not to upset Josette. Josette ends up freaked anyway. Natalie trying to convince Josette to ignore the book because it's wrong sounds a bit ridiculous but I guess I'd do the same thing under the same set of circumstances. (Of course the fact that Vicki arrived with the book in-hand in the first place is ludicrous, but I digress.) The one thing that Natalie reads that is a comfort to Josette is that Barn lives and goes to England to live. The whole segment was quite fascinating to watch. I liked it.

Joshua comforts Naomi and they both try to comfort Barnabas. It is all quite touching. Frid's still acting up a storm. Edmonds is off the charts too. Is this the first time Joshua has absolutely no pompousness in his voice? Frid & KLS also tear it up. I love their scene together. Barnabas dies but not before he tells Josette how much he loves her -- I wish it would have been in Josette's arms.

The bat scene in the drawing room with Natalie & Naomi is atrocious but the whole damn foolishness is saved by Joshua's confirmation to Naomi that Barn has died. I teared up.

Josette and Natalie -- Another fantastic scene -- very well done -- very touching.

Joshua & Naomi -- Nicely written. Interesting conversation. Enter Natalie & Josette. Joshua decides to keep Barn's death a secret and to protect that secret will announce to the town that Barn has left Collinsport on a business trip to England. This of course raises the hairs on the back of Natalie's & Josette's necks. Perfect ending to the episode.

I loved this episode.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 10:58:05 PM »
Yeah, this is one of the best!

Joshua holds Naomi in a stiff embrace--not from dislike, but because he doesn't know how to show tenderness. The scene with Barn and his parents was wonderful. So was the scene where Barn tells Joshua to keep Angelique away from him. Barn tells the story of how Joshua came home wounded during the war (the Revolution). The first time I saw that I teared up.

Barn doesn't die in Josette's arms, but I'm pretty sure he heard her promise to wait for him.

Great final scene where Joshua tells Naomi, Natalie and Josette that he'll spread a rumor that Barnabas has gone to England on business. Natalie and Josette are horror struck because they know the book terribly wrong--but right again.

Fabulous acting from all concerned, with Frid and Edmonds outstanding.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 03:32:13 AM »
Barnabas sees his family and he reveals he loves Josette still. Barnabas is dead and Joshua decides to keep it a secret as to not scare of the townfolk with plague news. Even thought I hated that Vickie told about the book, it worked well into this episode and I loved it when Natalie and Josette realized the book was coming true. Now will Josette flee Collinwood as she has been told to do by two people?
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 05:50:25 AM »
Barnabas asks Joshua to keep Angelique away from him, so he knows something's up.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 06:17:29 AM »
You've got to wonder why Barn didn't expose Ange as the witch, even if just to try and help Vicki before he died. I understand that he is probably keeping quiet so as not endanger his loved ones. I guess he did all he could between fits of delirium.