Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0384  (Read 829 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0384
« on: February 01, 2013, 06:08:16 AM »
Robservations #384

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0384

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 04:35:14 AM »
KLS calls D Ford "Pop"!

BANG.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 11:20:48 PM »
FAREWELL, ANTHONY GEORGE!

Poor Josette's marriage has come down to telling Jeremiah, If anyone is to be punished, let it be both of us, by our lives--not only you, by your death.

Once again, Angelique's belief that she controls all the puppet strings makes her plot go horribly wrong.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 03:02:54 AM »
Interesting conversation between Josette & Andre. Not very well acted but interestingly written with Andre being somewhat comical and at times blunt -- all for Angelique's sake, to put her, once again, in panic mode and APU having her tempt the hand of fate. It makes sense to me that Josette would try to stop the duel between Barn & Jeremiah and have only her father to plead her case to Barn.

Barnabas is the most fascinating character on the show right now, IMO, with all he is dealing with and as a different man than he was before the betrayal. I find it kind of interesting that Barn would have the conversation with Ange, take the amulet, thank her, etc. But he is not the Barn he once was, so, there you are. Andre tries to plead Josette's case to Barn but to no avail and no surprise.

Josette's having a bad day. She can't convince her husband not to duel Barn. Their scene was interesting as DarkLady noted. Josette isn't as stupid as I thought I remembered.

Barn & Jeremiah: How weird a situation that would be in real life. I can't imagine being in it today, even without the violent aspect. The scene was pretty well written, very believable considering the circumstances.

I don't understand what Jeremiah was doing when he got shot? Was he praying? Did he purposely die so Barnabas' could live? That whole scene was pretty odd to me. Bad camera work or am I missing something?

Jeremiah: "You must believe that in all these years I never lied to you until this. And that lie made me a stranger - even to myself." Barn: "Then I will fight a stranger and not the man you were." I love this exchange, especially Barn's line.

My other favorite exchange was between Josette & Barn after Jeremiah falls.
Barn: "He will die without help." Josette: "And you will have killed him." Josette goes hardcore and doesn't cut Barn any slack. You go girl. Great stuff. Josette gets my vote for most interesting character for this episode.

I thought the acting in this episode was mostly pretty weak. I don't think Josette fainted, I think she fell back from the weight of all that hair, the poor dear.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 05:12:21 AM »
Was this the episode where Frid made a major flubb and stayed late to re-do the scene and then was allowed to watch as the tape was edited?

G.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 08:05:54 AM »
Jerimiah (I have a reason for spelling it that way) definitely was praying, concentrating on that rather than the fight, because he expected to die.   2013 is overall less religious than 1967, and I think viewers wouldn't have had doubts about that back then, though they'd have had to take time to mull over what they just saw.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 03:48:02 PM »
Jerimiah (okay, okay) should have been praying--suicide was considered a sin. According to most versions of Christianity, he would have gone straight to hell.

I also love the exchange that dom highlighted between Jeremiah and Barnabas. Even if some of the acting isn't great, the writing can be very good indeed.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 05:03:16 AM »
Pop goes up on his lines. This episode should have been more exciting. Where is Joshua in all this? Naomi? Sarah? It was hinted that Millicent was after Jeremiah. What was her reaction to the elopement and duel.
It was inspired that Jeremiah was shot on the stairs where he kissed Josette.  It would have been a much more interesting story if Jeremiah had really loved Josette and when the spell was cast on Josette he was unable to resist.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 01:37:54 AM »
It appears that Millicent has eyes for Nathan Forbes. Your right, the family's absence is conspicuous.