Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0384  (Read 1091 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0384
« on: September 13, 2007, 04:49:53 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0384
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 07:35:47 AM »
You win some, you lose some.  On the one hand, Angelique would have lost all hope forever of obtaining Barnabas if Jeremiah had killed him in the duel, so she came out OK.  (I wish I knew more about that medallion.)  On the other hand, since Barnabas has killed Jeremiah, Josette is now free to marry Barnabas, and Angelique may have to do some more conniving.  If Angelique could get Josette to marry Nathan Forbes barely a week after being widowed, it would be quite a coup for Angelique, and I think she could even consider hitting the professional witch circuit.

It's a pity that Anthony George wanted out from the show.  I have said elsewhere on this forum, and thought so more and more since I said it, that there could have been some interesting scenes if there had been no duel, and if Jeremiah had lived.  Jeremiah and Vicky had been showing signs of interest in each other before Angelique starting doing her thing, and it is conceivable that, with Josette unavailable for marriage, Barnabas would have noticed Vicky's existence.  Things could have gotten rather messy, and with Angelique stirring the pot, who knows what strange situations might have developed before the 1795 storyline was through?

Still, the duel gave us that amazing scene out on the terrace, with Josette telling Barnabas flat-out that he was a monster.  The announcement of the marriage of Jeremiah and Josette would have been difficult for Barnabas, but at least by the time he heard it, he couldn't have been taken completely by surprise.  And at that point, at least Josette didn't seem to hate him.  Now suddenly he hears from her very lips that she can't stand him, and she never loved him.  And he still loves her.  Absolutely horrible for him.

By the way, it was a very irregular duel: no seconds.  Sheriff Patterson would not approve.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 07:59:22 AM »
This was a great episode - one of the best!  [cheer]  I agree, Lydia, it is too bad that Anthony George wanted out of the show! A lot more interesting things could have happened if he had stayed. I actually like him better as Jeremiah than as Burke.

I felt so sorry for Jeremiah when he was trying to explain to Barnabas what happened, and all he could say was that they had to do it! It's so sad that Barnabas lost his best friend, and mistakenly thought Jeremiah must have hated him all his life!  [cryg]  I hate Angelique!  [furious3] It's too bad that Angelique put the spell back on Josette by rubbing rose-water on her forehead again.  [Witch_Potion_Animated]  That added insult to injury for Barnabas. Barnabas had a double whammy - knowing he probably just killed Jeremiah and Josette professing her undying love for Jeremiah instead of for him, the way it should have been.  [sad3]  Great acting by all!  [clap2]

Yes, that was a weird duel with no seconds.  [hdscrt]  In fact, the only other people who were there were Josette and Angelique. Also, there was a discrepancy - they didn't take 10 paces... it was more like 6. The writers should have realized that the set was too small, and written it for the correct amount of paces.   [undg]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 08:25:42 AM »
It's so sad that Barnabas lost his best friend, and mistakenly thought Jeremiah must have hated him all his life!

It can happen.    I'm dealing with something similar in my family.    Things can happen that lead you to throw out everything you thought you knew, about people you've 'known' your entire life.

I gotta remember to put rose water on more people's foreheads.   That is almost certainly the reason I haven't achieved greatness in my life.   Knock down the great and stand tall upon their remains, good plan.    And all it takes is a little rose water, whatever that is.

"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 09:35:21 PM »
It's so sad that Barnabas lost his best friend, and mistakenly thought Jeremiah must have hated him all his life!
It can happen.    I'm dealing with something similar in my family.    Things can happen that lead you to throw out everything you thought you knew, about people you've 'known' your entire life.
Yes, I know what you mean, Magnus. Something like that happened in my family, too. It's sad when it happens. [cryg]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 02:05:08 AM »
Spoilers ahead:

When I watched this episode for the first time, I didn't think there was any way Barnabas and Jeremiah would go through with the duel, and if they did, they certainly wouldn't really fire their weapons. How wrong I was!

I can't stand Angelique! She was as much responsible for his death as was Barnabas. How could she be so heartless to tear a family apart?  >:( :'(
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2007, 05:51:14 AM »
I have one question. Did Angelique know what she was doing when she did the rose water.  It seemed to me it was done out of concern.  But then it could have been Lara's acting that made it seem that way.  I wonder how lling it took Angelique to get someone?  She  knew that Barnabas would be OK.

It makes me think of one thing at the end. From a different show. Star Trek,

When TuPow(?) Says live ling and prosper Spook, He say " I will do neither, for I have killed my Captian"  You can correct me if I am wrong.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate