Author Topic: Playin' With Fire....but I Gotta  (Read 3923 times)

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re:Playin' With Fire....but I Gotta
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2003, 07:12:21 AM »
Davis wins hands down. Pennock had several extraordinarily good scenes over time on the show.   Plus I thought he was damn sexy, while Davis is simply ... nauseating.

I agree Gothick.  Jeb may be a real s.o.b. but he plays the part well and he does have a sexy way about him.  As for R.D.  hard as I may try I just can't seem to find anything sexy about him.

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
  • Jag gillar Dark Shadows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2003, 04:22:14 PM »
Actually I don't think CP is all that bad as Jeb Hawkes.  He succeeds in making us hate him.  The worst actors are those that make us all too aware that they are acting ... or trying to.  Unfortunately, even our dear JF has had his bad moments there, although somehow that became part of his appeal.

The same can't be said for RD, unfortunately.  His characters all tend to be the same - irritating!  So I agree with everyone else that he wins hands down over CP.

But RD and CP seem like Oliviers next to the ghastly non-acting by whoever played Sky Rumson.  Now, that is BAAAD!!!  [puke]
Happybat

"One can only truly understand what one can create"--Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2003, 05:14:28 PM »
Chiming in with the majority here, which I ain't always known for doing.   ::)

Can't STAND Roger Davis as any character he plays.  He is least objectionable as Peter Bradford in 1795, but still...

Chris Pennock gets off to a rocky start as Jeb Hawkes, who is way annoying and arrogant, but does have a sexy body.  His acting got lots better by the time the Leviathan storyline ended, and he was quite good as Cyrus/Yaeger and as Gabriel Collins.

And yes, the "hairbrush scene" is riveting in it's own sick way.  [shkdy]
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2003, 07:48:36 PM »
But RD and CP seem like Oliviers next to the ghastly non-acting by whoever played Sky Rumson.  Now, that is BAAAD!!!  [puke]

Geoffrey Scott is in a class all by himself. His acting is legendarily bad! Just ask the editors of Soap Opera Digest. [wink2] I've never seen them say as harsh things about anyone else as they have about Scott. And in an industry that's often criticized for hiring based on looks rather than talent, singling Scott out as the worst among the worse is really saying something. [lghy]

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2003, 03:23:20 PM »
Hello gang i go with Roger Davis as well!!!
          Love Anne ??? :o
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2003, 08:58:58 PM »
Geoffrey Scott is in a class all by himself. His acting is legendarily bad! Just ask the editors of Soap Opera Digest. [wink2] I've never seen them say as harsh things about anyone else as they have about Scott. And in an industry that's often criticized for hiring based on looks rather than talent, singling Scott out as the worst among the worse is really saying something. [lghy]

I remember when he got the GL gig to replace Jordan Clarke. Oy, that was bad. Really bad. I didn't recognize him immediately from DS, but I still thought he was atrocious.

The thing is though, he's only on DS for a relatively short period of time. RD just kept coming back again and again.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Debra

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2003, 10:33:17 PM »
The thing is though, he's only on DS for a relatively short period of time. RD just kept coming back again and again.

Yeah and each time he only got worse and worse! You would think with all that time and experience his acting would have improved, but apparently not so.   I know he had been on other shows, such as Alias,Smith and Jones for awhile, but I never watched this so i can't comment on if his acting did improve later on with time.

Deb

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2003, 10:55:37 PM »
I know he had been on other shows, such as Alias,Smith and Jones for awhile, but I never watched this so i can't comment on if his acting did improve later on with time.

As hard as it might be to imagine for anyone who's only seen him on DS, RD is quite good in almost everything else he's ever done, both prior to and after DS. It certainly makes one wonder what sort of influences affected his work on DS so badly. ::) (Maybe it's the fact that in almost every other recorded environment actors often have the opportunity to do retakes until they get it right? ;) And then there's always the miracle of editing, which can frequently do wonders, making even a bad actor look good by piecing together only the best moments of each attempted performance. [wink2])

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2003, 11:13:55 PM »
I've never seen Alias S&J, but on Twightlight Zone, younger, ergo 'cuter', but still somewhat obnoxious.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2003, 12:50:15 AM »
I know he had been on other shows, such as Alias,Smith and Jones for awhile, but I never watched this so i can't comment on if his acting did improve later on with time.

As hard as it might be to imagine for anyone who's only seen him on DS, RD is quite good in almost everything else he's ever done, both prior to and after DS. It certainly makes one wonder what sort of influences affected his work on DS so badly. ::) (Maybe it's the fact that in almost every other recorded environment actors often have the opportunity to do retakes until they get it right? ;) And then there's always the miracle of editing, which can frequently do wonders, making even a bad actor look good by piecing together only the best moments of each attempted performance. [wink2])

i quite agree MB and have to add in thinking about this feel CP is worse i liked Alias!i hated Yeager more than Jeb if that is possible feel he overacted big time !!so go ahead
whip those curse buttons at me but i'm starting to like RD's roles the more i see of CP's i had it a tie before now feel i lkie Rd better!

jennifer

Sky is in a class by himself!

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2003, 02:38:57 PM »
Chris Pennock got better and better in my opinion. I really liked the overly dramatic scenes with him and Carolyn when he played Jeb.  I thought he was fantastic as Yeager and Gabriel.

Although RD was annoying to most people here, I rather liked his Peter Bradford, and Dirk Wilkins (sp?), and most of all Charles Delaware Tate. The other characterizations left a lot to be desired IMHO.
[spoiler]However, I did enjoy Angelique putting the bite on him, heh-heh.[/spoiler]
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2003, 03:55:11 PM »
i quite agree MB and have to add in thinking about this feel CP is worse i liked Alias!i hated Yeager more than Jeb if that is possible feel he overacted big time !!so go ahead
whip those curse buttons at me but i'm starting to like RD's roles the more i see of CP's i had it a tie before now feel i lkie Rd better!
lololol.....BEFORE I read this, I had cured you honey...wish I could again...cause I [size=12]HATE[/size] loathe, abhor, detest...guess you could say I just don't like CYRUS/JEKYLL/HYDE...that (okay, tying with Adam) is
 T H E worst DS plot ever.

EVER!!!

EVER!!!!

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2003, 07:36:25 PM »
lololol.....BEFORE I read this, I had cured you honey...wish I could again...cause I [size=12]HATE[/size] loathe, abhor, detest...guess you could say I just don't like CYRUS/JEKYLL/HYDE...that (okay, tying with Adam) is

EVER!!!

EVER!!!!

Patti

thank you Patti (cured you back!) :-*and i agree i liked his roles as Gabriel
but Yeager was too WEIRD! That HAIR ALONE!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2003, 09:00:22 PM »
I've never seen Alias S&J, but on Twightlight Zone, younger, ergo 'cuter', but still somewhat obnoxious.

I saw that episode too Patti, and you're right,  he was screaming to high heaven during the whole show and acting like a lunatic!!  It's no wonder the poor woman who married him in that episode went mad!!![spin][rollb]

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2003, 09:38:35 PM »
CYRUS/JEKYLL/HYDE...that (okay, tying with Adam) is

EVER!!!

EVER!!!!

I couldn't disagree with you more, Patti. And perhaps we'll get a chance to debate it once the 1970PT storyline gets underway. ;)