Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0315  (Read 1688 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0315
« on: October 06, 2012, 06:25:59 PM »
Robservations - #315

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0315

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 09:08:10 PM »
We have one of the many great fight scenes between Barn and Julia as she tries to keep him at the Old House for another injection. Julia accuses him (correctly) of jumping to conclusions in assuming that David know what he is. Barnabas agrees and says with utter calm, That’s why I want to find David and question him. I don’t want to harm David, Barnabas claims, but he’s been seeing far too much of Sarah, and children are always telling each other secrets. As he opens the front door, he comments, It would be a pity if David has to be done away with. I was getting rather fond of him. But if I have to choose between sentiment and survival, he adds with perfect sang-froid, I’ll choose survival. Even Julia is shocked at this declaration and points out that maybe David has already been found.

Barnabas has begun to accept the concept of women doctors. He remarks, For a professional person and a doctor, it’s surprising how many traits you share with Willie--squeamishness, for example. She retorts, I’d hardly call it squeamish, not wanting to see a child die at the hands of a v-- She stops herself just in time. A what? Barnabas asks her quietly. Julia warns him, If any harm comes to David, you’ll be writing your own death warrant. There may be one or two other death warrants, Barnabas answers, regardless of what happens--and you can pass that on to Willie when you see him.

At Collinwood, Vicki is wearing the unfortunate Mondrian-style orange tent dress. Unknowingly, she pushes Barn's buttons when she worries that the maniac who kidnapped Maggie might have David now. He decides to join the search. Take care in the dark, Vicki warns him. Barnabas reminds her, You forget that I’m more used to the dark than most men. No harm will come to me.

We have another great scene, this one with Barn and the dotty old caretaker, who remarks on Barn's resemblance to the famous portrait. It must have been published in a newspaper or magazine--surely the humble caretaker wouldn’t be a guest at Collinwood!

The caretaker says he heard the voice of a child coming from the wall of the Collins mausoleum. He adds, But there's only one child buried here--little Sarah Collins. Yes, yes, Barnabas answers impatiently, I know. When the caretaker asks how he knows about her, Barnabas snaps, Because I am her-- I am a Collins, he finishes, I know all about the family history. Barnabas says he wants to go to the mausoleum--maybe the voice will talk to him. You mustn’t go there alone at night! the caretaker protests. Barnabas answers, The night holds no dangers for me. The caretaker is inclined to disagree, saying, The night holds unseen dangers for every living soul. Barnabas indulges in a tiny, ironic smile.

Poor David is very cross by the time Sarah finally shows up and tells him how to get out. But he goes from the frying pan straight into the fire--that is, he runs right into Barnabas's arms!

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 12:24:11 PM »
The caretaker's hair looked better today.  No greasy kid stuff.

But if I have to choose between sentiment and survival, he adds with perfect sang-froid, I’ll choose survival. Even Julia is shocked at this declaration and points out that maybe David has already been found.
"Even" Julia?  I don't think that's fair to Julia.  She has said right from the start she didn't want anybody murdered.

I, on the other hand, can see Barnabas's point.  If he is presented with the choice of either David's survival or his own, why shouldn't he choose his own?  Granted, Barnabas has enslaved Willie and murdered Jason.  (I'm leaving Maggie out of this, since I don't care to discuss right now what permanent damage she may or may not have suffered.)  So David would seem like the worthier candidate for survival.  But David has committed some nefarious acts of his own.  He seems like a reformed character now, but the process of his reformation has been mysterious, and it is quite possible that he will fall back into his old ways.

Sarah made David promise not to tell anyone about the secret room.  Very interesting.

I've decided to drop out of the Watching Project for a while.  I'll watch...probably...and read...probably...but that will be all...probably.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 03:35:22 PM »
On consideration, Lydia, I think you're right about Julia.

I for one will miss your witty and welcome presence in the WP. Hope to see you back soon.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 02:41:40 AM »
David falls on the step and accidentally pushes it out and then quickly pushes it back as he's not supposed to find it yet. I'm not sure what the purpose of hiding the way out of the room is for unless it was meant to be a prison, but not the one it became for Barnabas.
I thought that Jonatan did a good job wirh the above mentioned lines. Sometimes I cringe when he goes up on his lines and can't even improvise something.

you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 09:53:48 AM »
Thanks, DarkLady!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 04:00:38 PM »

I've decided to drop out of the Watching Project for a while.  I'll watch...probably...and read...probably...but that will be all...probably.

I've wanted to PM you but my PMs don't work.  I've wanted to find out how things are with you lately, if that isn't being nosey.   I can't do much on the WP without a VCR, but I'm alarmed at the thought of your drifting off.

2012 has been a strange and discouraging year.  It seems to me that ever since we approached the 2011 holidays, the online world (or that portion I come into contact with, on 3 boards or so) has had the wind knocked out of it.   The life is drained out of everybody.   It's as if everyone simultaneously started just going through the motions.  Is all this leading up to something?

Perhaps you have a site where you talk about what you're reading, and I might drop in and do the same.  Just a thought.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 04:17:51 PM »
Thanks, Magnus.  I don't have any other place online where I talk.  I'll send you a PM, though, and try not to drift off.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 04:56:19 PM »
Thanks, Magnus.  I don't have any other place online where I talk.  I'll send you a PM, though, and try not to drift off.

I will if you will!  Just read your update, and thanks very much.   Perhpas you noticed it when I mentioned that I can receive PMs, but I can't send any.   It's OT here, but I hope you can move on soon to the things you don't have to do.

I'm working my way through a list of supposed greatest novels of all time, many of which I've never heard of, which is nice since they're almost guaranteed to be very good, but are total surprises.  No idea as to content ahead of time.   I'm making up for decades of having stuck to science fiction.

[candle_in_skull] [candle_in_skull] [candle_in_skull]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 02:17:45 AM »
Take good care, Lydia.  I don't read these at all consistently but whenever I do, I always enjoy your astute and wittily phrased insights.

Best, Gothick

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 10:42:23 AM »
Thanks, Gothick.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 06:12:17 AM »
Alexandra used the pronoun we in the opening voiceover and it struck me as odd. I don't know if it was odd but it really grabbed my attention for some reason. The voiceover was the best part of this episode.

OMGoodness, Frid's acting was boring and Grayson's and Henesy's and Smyth's acting, uneven at best. It's as if they were reciting their lines or their timing was off, I don't know. It wasn't at all natural. Even Moltke wasn't pulling it off as well as usual though she did much better than the others. Daniel Keyes as the caretaker gave the best performance in this ep. and that speaks volumes. The opening scene between Frid and Hall could have been a classic battle scene but fell far short of fabulous; it fell flat.

Still lovin' the way Frid looks - must be the eyeliner.

Vicki, in sleeves, leaks the info about the caretaker hearing voices at the mausoleum to Barn and all but seals David's fate. The caretaker puts the final nail in that coffin.

Sarah to the rescue, finally. (I'm done trying to understand.) She makes David promise not to tell anyone about the secret room in the mausoleum before she'll tell him how to escape. Why? Oh that's right, I don't care anymore. Perhaps I'll feel differently on Monday.

David escapes the secret room and makes a bee line into the arms of a waiting Barnabas. Why they bothered to have Barn say anything is beyond me. I'd have saved it for the Monday ep.

(At this point, I wish Barnabas would kill David. I might even actually be looking forward to the Adam story line. I am so dreading Anthony George in tights.)

I didn't like this episode at all. It might have been fabulous. It was directed by John Sedwick. I am going to start taking note of his episodes to see if this one was a fluke.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 09:51:51 AM »
I only read these sporadically but I'm glad I caught this one. Your sharp and keen observations will most definitely be missed, Lydia. And, hopefully, come back.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 07:44:15 PM »
I keep forgetting to post this capture from this ep:

I love it because Barn and Julia's facial expressions just say it all and sum up their relationship perfectly.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 11:38:36 PM »
Nice one, MB...