Author Topic: Jonny Lee Miller's Elementary May Be A Hit  (Read 4566 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Jonny Lee Miller's Elementary May Be A Hit
« on: September 28, 2012, 07:04:00 PM »
Just maybe what the reviews have been saying is true - maybe Jonny Lee Miller really does have a hit on his hands because Elementary debuted big:

10 p.m:
CBS: "Elementary" premiere (13.3 million, 8.4/14)
ABC: "Scandal" premiere (7 million, 4.7/8)
NBC: "Rock Center with Brian Williams" (4.2 million, 2.9/5)

18-49 leader: "Elementary" (3.1)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Jonny Lee Miller's Elementary May Be A Hit
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 12:33:09 AM »
For anyone who might have missed the show, I just noticed that CBS is rerunning it tonight at 9pm ET.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 06:45:58 PM »
It's still looking like Elementary could be a hit because -

10 p.m.
CBS: "Elementary" (11.2 million, 7.2/12)
ABC: "Scandal" (6.8 million, 4.8/8)
NBC: "Rock Center with Brian Williams" (3.4 million, 2.4/4)

18-49 leader: "Elementary" (2.6)

- even though it lost 2.1 million viewers in the Fast Overnight ratings, it's pretty par for the course for every new show to lose some viewers who simply tune in to sample the premiere, its viewership is still far and away the highest in the time period, and it retained its leadership in the all-important 18-49 demo.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 10:03:28 PM »
Who's watching this show?  I am really enjoying it and hope it succeeds.  It's fun to be able to hear Jonny Lee using his natural accent, as I've mainly known him before this for his roles in DS and Dexter.  I think there have been some complaints that the show was "stealing" too much from the British series, Sherlock, which is also set in modern day (which I caught up on last summer and really liked, too).  But I think there is room for both, especially since most Americans are more likely to see Elementary than Sherlock.  Good luck, Jonny!

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 11:14:34 PM »
I was looking forward to it's premier since the teasers started showing up on TV, but missed the first two weeks. But I was able to catch them On Demand, and I really like the show. Nothing extra special about it but I like the Holmes character as portrayed by JLM. I had no idea that JLM played Roger in the 2012 DS movie so that made it all the more fun and interesting to watch for me. I really, really like JLM. My only problem so far has been catching all the dialogue. I had to do a bit rewinding to re-listen to words I couldn't make out. I don't know if it's the TV I was watching it on (not mine and it did have sound quality issues) or a sound problem with the show or even perhaps his accent. Most likely, it's my hearing that's going.

I plan on watching all season. I thought JLM as Roger was fantastic and so is his Holmes. Big fan here.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 05:36:37 PM »
Elementary held pretty steady for its third ep, retaining its sizable viewership lead over the competition and its lead in the 18-49 demo despite extra competition from the baseball playoffs:

10 p.m:
CBS: "Elementary" (10.8 million, 6.9/11)
ABC: "Scandal" (6.4 million, 4.5/7)
FOX: NLCS Game 4 (5.7 million, 3.6/6)
NBC: "Rock Center with Brian Williams" (3.45 million, 2.4/4)

18-49 leader: "Elementary" (2.3)

I haven't even had the chance to watch anything beyond the premiere. But hopefully I'll get the chance to catch up at some point over the weekend.

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 06:22:04 AM »
It's interesting that Dom mentioned having trouble hearing parts of it.  I mentioned that after the first episode.  There seem to be lots of times when they almost mumble and speak very quickly and softly, so that I miss a lot of the dialogue.  Other than that, I like it.
Josette

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 07:15:49 PM »
I did indeed catch up last night, and I think that the 3rd ep was my favorite so far, not only because the mystery seemed to be better plotted, but because the relationship between Holmes and Watson was becoming deeper and more interesting. It's definitely going to fun to see their relationship progress over the season.

And I know the people having a hard time sometimes understanding the dialogue aren't alone because some of my friends have said the exact same thing. Oddly, though, I haven't had any problems understanding. Maybe it's that years of watching all sorts of British imports on PBS has tuned my ears for all sorts of British accents. Or maybe because I'm part English, being able to understand is just ingrained in my DNA.  [hall2_grin]  However, what I always tell my friends is that closed captioning can be their friend, too.  [hall2_wink]  And the nice thing about some TVs and DVRs is that all you have to do is mute them for the closed captioning to automatically come up. So, if you're lucky enough to have that option in your setup, and if you have trouble understanding under any circumstances, all you have to do is rewind, mute, read, unmute. A few of my friends have said that they wished they'd thought of checking the closed captioning but it didn't even occur to them, so that's why I pass it along here.  [hall2_smiley]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 08:26:26 PM »
CBS Orders More Vegas and Elementary

A full season order. Yay!  [clap]  [thumb]

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 10:38:12 PM »
Good for Jonny, good for us.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 11:41:14 PM »
A friend who has been watching this faithfully reported last week that the episode began with a scene of JLM with his shirt off and she said that the sight was a fine ravishment for the eyes (I am paraphrasing).

I realize that nobody here watches television to gratify their lustful urges for male pulchritude--apart from myself, of course--so I am simply reporting this as a "by the way" bit of factoidiana.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 11:52:36 PM »
And perhaps someone, someone who still has all three aired eps on his DVR, could provide a screen capture of JLM in all his HD glory from that scene. Well, that is, when said someone has a chance.  [hall2_wink]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 12:04:05 AM »
That would be extremely kind of someone.  Someone who has fed Gothique's desire to drool and pander to the glories of the male physique in the past.  Someone who always takes Gothique's tacky remarks about nipples, shoulder blades and other ... appendages with sterling good humor.  Someone who has a kind, generous, giving heart.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 04:44:42 PM »
It's interesting that according to this article:

'Elementary' and 'Vegas' picked up for full seasons by CBS

Elementary has been averaging 14.3 million viewers, making it the second most successful new show this season in viewership (the first is Vegas with 14.9 million), and it's the second most successful in the 18-49 demo with a 3.5 average rating (the first is Revolution). Both those figures are higher than what we've been seeing is the Fast Overnight ratings figures, so apparently the show is doing even better than we thought once the complete ratings figures are calibrated.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 05:25:59 PM »
I just caught up with the last episode, and am really enjoying this show so far.  I'm so glad it's been picked up for a full season!  I'm sorry I don't have it DVR'd- I streamed it from cbs.com.  Perhaps you could take a screen shot from the streaming video?  The shirtless scene is the first scene- btw I enjoyed it too ;)   [hall2_smiley]

Jonny Lee is a doll- it really is too bad that he didn't get a bit of a larger role in DS :(