Author Topic: Chat?  (Read 3216 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Chat?
« on: May 05, 2003, 07:10:50 AM »
Observant cousins may have noticed the new "Chat" button on the main menus. Does this mean chat has arrived for YaBB SE? Well, the answer is yes and no. Midnite, dom and I are in the process of checking out this new feature and so far we really like what we see. However, we're not quite ready to open the room up "officially" yet. That doesn't mean that the rest of you can't check out the link, though. You won't get too far because the room is password protected and none of you know the password. ;) (Once we're ready to hold our first chat, the password will be automatically entered for all cousins registered with dsboards.) But I *think* you should be able to register your usernames with the chat server. The server will automatically know the name you're using on the forum (and it will append the extention "_srabsdod" to it, so don't be surprised to see that). If the server recognizes you, you should be able to choose a password (which I highly recommend so you can protect your account) and fill out a profile. ( The server was undergoing maintenance yesterday, so it was offline intermittently. I believe that maintenance has been completed now. But if you find that you can't get in, try again sometime later. :) )

Keep a lookout for an announcement of when we'll be holding our first "official" chat...

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
Re:Chat?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2003, 08:47:13 AM »
YES!  love to chat... i'm there just name the date and time but please not during working hours on PST or PDT.  thanks much.

luv ya,
victoria

Offline Minja

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2003, 09:47:18 PM »

Well I went and registered.  Then I left and went back again and it asked for my password and accepted it!  Looks like I'm in OK!  And this one seems to have more fun stuff!

Thanks for the feature!  I missed our old chats!

Always, Minja [clap][/color]
Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.
-From the song "For Good" from "Wicked"

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:Chat Question
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2003, 12:32:30 AM »
When I clicked on chat..it asked me if I want to install chatjava something???
do I??

Patti
What a Woman!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2003, 01:30:19 AM »
do I??

I suppose so. But that didn't come up for me when I first accessed the room (but then, so what else is new? - I never seem to get these prompts), so I'm not quite sure what's coming up for you.

When I access the room, a large gray square appears below the forum's logo and menu, and then a bar appears in the middle of that square, showing me the progress of the files it's accessing to allow me into the room. I'm assuming you're not seeing any of that?

It could be that the version of Java on your computer needs to be upgraded. But that doesn't seem right because didn't you get a new computer within the last year or so?

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2003, 05:27:02 AM »
do I??

Patti

it did for me too pattie.  i just said yes.   i think it may have something to do with I.E. and the anti-trust litigation and the settlement thereon.  ooo sound so legal do i?

well it's my guess because the same thing happens to me in yahoo groups when i got to their chat rooms.  then i have to go through netscape navigator.

oh well no matter.  got in and it looks pretty MB.  well hope to see you in the room soon.

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2003, 05:33:05 AM »
me too Patti says i'm registered but won't accept a password!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2003, 07:38:59 AM »
me too Patti says i'm registered but won't accept a password!

As MB mentioned, the chatroom itself is password protected, so if you're referring to being asked for a password to enter #The_Drawing_Room, this is different from the password you used to register.  The pw to enter the room was preset but we haven't revealed it yet because the room isn't yet open.

You need to register in order to chat because you'll eventually be able to enter the room using IRC (without having to come in through the forum), so the pw prevents someone else from impersonating any "cousin" in the chat.  You can choose the same pw as for your login, but either way it's important that you keep it safe and NOT share it.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2003, 07:21:19 PM »
it did for me too pattie.  i just said yes.   i think it may have something to do with I.E.

me too Patti

Hmmm... I don't think it's an IE thing because I've accessed the chat room using both IE and Netscape and I didn't receive the prompt. What it might be, though, is that the people receiving the prompt have their browsers' security set higher than I do. I have IE set to Medium, which "Prompts before downloading potentially unsafe content" (and apparently IE didn't think the chat room's files were "unsafe"), but High will prompt you for the least little thing...

Offline Debra

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2003, 08:39:39 PM »
Im still trying to locate the button?  You said its on the main menu but is that the same as the home page?  I cant find it? :-
Deb

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2003, 09:23:33 PM »
Im still trying to locate the button?  You said its on the main menu but is that the same as the home page?  I cant find it? :-

The main menu is at the top and bottom of almost all the forum's pages. While you're logged on, the sequence of buttons goes: "home, help, search, profile, chat, notifications, logout". :)

Offline Debra

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2003, 09:28:27 PM »
The main menu is at the top and bottom of almost all the forum's pages. While you're logged on, the sequence of buttons goes: "home, help, search, profile, chat, notifications, logout". :)

I found it!!!  I was thinking the first page that comes up when we first get to the site was the one you were referring to,  now I got it.  Thanks!

Deb :)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2003, 02:41:43 AM »
MB...I know this is gonna [size=12]SHOCK[/size] you ::) but I didn't know what the heck I was doing...can you see if I registered, just used Patti and my current DSboards password; put in a quote and an avatar.

Thanks...it looks ??? ??? cool ???

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2003, 05:55:34 AM »
can you see if I registered, just used Patti and my current DSboards password; put in a quote and an avatar.

Hope you don't mind if I answer...

Yes, you registered successfully as Patti_srabsdod (an anagram of dsboards that gets added).  When you log into the chat, that'll be your chat username.

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2003, 07:15:18 AM »
it did for me too pattie.  i just said yes.   i think it may have something to do with I.E.

me too Patti

Hmmm... I don't think it's an IE thing because I've accessed the chat room using both IE and Netscape and I didn't receive the prompt. What it might be, though, is that the people receiving the prompt have their browsers' security set higher than I do. I have IE set to Medium, which "Prompts before downloading potentially unsafe content" (and apparently IE didn't think the chat room's files were "unsafe"), but High will prompt you for the least little thing...

I think so MB.  I checked my security setting which is set to prompt when asked to "Download Signed ActiveX Controls."  I have it this way on purpose so I don't download unwanted content.  I do make a living off this computer, besides it being fun, so a girl can't be too safe.  I also have it at high security on Java permissions.

I expect to be asked to download the chat applet download.  Normal operating procedure for me.