Author Topic: Instant Message  (Read 2819 times)

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Instant Message
« on: April 20, 2003, 09:44:04 AM »
Hi MB,

What's going on with the Instant message box?  Not sure if it's just happening to me but when I go to IM to send a message to someone I now get a message box that's about a mile long horizontally.   The box is so big it's hard to find anything and I have to manuever my mouse all around just to find the send button.

This just happened suddenly when you upgraded the forums.  Is there a certain setting that Im suppose to go to or click on in order to have the IM box back to the size it was before?

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:Instant Message
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2003, 11:53:24 PM »
What's going on with the Instant message box?  Not sure if it's just happening to me but when I go to IM to send a message to someone I now get a message box that's about a mile long horizontally.

I wish I could tell you that I know the exact reason why this is happening to you and how to fix it, but I can't. :(

Now, it's not like I haven't seen something similar to this happen, BUT it has always been under special circumstances - say, if someone has included a really long URL in an IM/post, or perhaps if they've included a really wide image. But clearly neither is the case with you because you're obviously indicating that it's happening to you every time you open the Post reply window to send an IM.

This just happened suddenly when you upgraded the forums.

I checked the forum's access_log and noticed that you're using IE 5.0, but I don't really see why that should make a bit of difference - particularly considering that we're using the exact same Advanced Instant Message script now as we were before the recent system upgrade. (That script was one of the very few that has had no changes whatsoever made to it.) Also, more than a dozen other people have sent IMs using IE 5.0 today, and none (so far, anyway) have reported having the same problem.

I'm really sorry, but you're situation has me stumped. I do honestly wish I could be more help, but...

:-

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2003, 02:43:14 AM »
Hi MB,

What's going on with the Instant message box?  Not sure if it's just happening to me but when I go to IM to send a message to someone I now get a message box that's about a mile long horizontally.   The box is so big it's hard to find anything and I have to manuever my mouse all around just to find the send button.

I am having a similar problem Cassandra, though not quite as bad as yours. This only happens when I log on at home on my Imac with AOL 5.0. The message box is so long that I have use the arrows to move it  to see what I'm typing.  It is a pain in the you-know what. The finished message does come out OK on the Board.

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2003, 07:18:41 AM »
MB wrote:
Now, it's not like I haven't seen something similar to this happen, BUT it has always been under special circumstances - say, if someone has included a really long URL in an IM/post, or perhaps if they've included a really wide image. But clearly neither is the case with you because you're obviously indicating that it's happening to you every time you open the Post reply window to send an IM. 

Yes, it just appears that way as soon as I hit "reply" and go to send a message.  It happens when Im using AOL also.   It's really not a big deal.  When I first saw it I got a bit nervous because I thought something was wrong with my computer but when I finally found the "send" button I realized I could still send messages.

I am having a similar problem Cassandra, though not quite as bad as yours. This only happens when I log on at home on my Imac with AOL 5.0. The message box is so long that I have use the arrows to move it  to see what I'm typing.  It is a pain in the you-know what. The finished message does come out OK on the Board.

Thanks Bette.  I have AOL 8.0 and it happens there also so I don't know what it is.  I did notice though that the finished message does come out okay also.

It was a relief to see that someone else had this also because I was beginning to think that my computer was possessed!!  LOL!!!
"Calamity Jane"

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2003, 08:48:46 PM »
I am having a similar problem Cassandra, ...

It was a relief to see that someone else had this also because I was beginning to think that my computer was possessed!!  LOL!!!

What I find fascinating about this from a programming standpoint is that the same PHP script (Post.php) is called for posting both topics/replys on the boards and sending/replying to IMs. It should act the same way in both cases. But, Cassandra, you seem to be indicating that you're only having the problem of a wider box when you use the IM feature. Or does the same thing happen for topics/replys? And what about you, Bette - do you only get it for IMs or both?

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2003, 10:15:35 PM »

What I find fascinating about this from a programming standpoint is that the same PHP script (Post.php) is called for posting both topics/replys on the boards and sending/replying to IMs. It should act the same way in both cases. But, Cassandra, you seem to be indicating that you're only having the problem of a wider box when you use the IM feature. Or does the same thing happen for topics/replys? And what about you, Bette - do you only get it for IMs or both?

I think that it happens even in reply, but I'll have to let you know for sure when I try it from home, which probably won't be until tomorrow after work.

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2003, 10:15:08 AM »
It should act the same way in both cases. But, Cassandra, you seem to be indicating that you're only having the problem of a wider box when you use the IM feature. Or does the same thing happen for topics/replys?

No, this doesn't happen at all when I send a reply to a message from one of the threads. The reply box is a normal size.  It's only when Im going to send a message via the IM feature that the reply box comes up exceptionally large.  This just happened recently.

The funny thing is the size measurements of the box. It measures about 2 1/2 inches lengthwise and close to 30 inches widthwise. It just seems way out of proportion to me.  I think the other way around would seem more normal to me?

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2003, 03:27:02 AM »

OK, I'm replyng to your post and my message box is still too long for the screen, just like it is when I IM.

Bette

Life works if you let it

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2003, 11:06:20 PM »
Don't know if this will help, but there's a setting in IE under Tools, Internet Options, Advanced, that says "always expand ALT text for images".  When I check it, select OK, and refresh the page the reply window goes off the screen.  The window returns to normal when I uncheck it and reload.

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2003, 07:31:46 AM »
Don't know if this will help, but there's a setting in IE under Tools, Internet Options, Advanced, that says "always expand ALT text for images".  When I check it, select OK, and refresh the page the reply window goes off the screen.  The window returns to normal when I uncheck it and reload.

Thanks Midnite but that didn't help either. I did exactly just that and it's still the same.   It's probably something to do with IE as it doesn't seem to happening to too many others.
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2003, 03:34:02 PM »
It's probably something to do with IE as it doesn't seem to happening to too many others.

Thank you for letting me know, Cassandra.  Bobubas is having the same problem, which means all 3 reporting it when IMing also have AOL in common.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2003, 04:20:08 PM »
which means all 3 reporting it when IMing also have AOL in common.

Well, now that REALLY doesn't surprise me. :(

Have any of you tried bringing up IE separate from AOL? I don't know if that would make any difference, but it might be worth a try...

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2003, 06:47:45 PM »
Bobubas says the Preview feature returns the IM reply window to normal.  It doesn't solve the problem, but at least it's a way to manage it.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2003, 07:38:06 PM »
Bobubas says the Preview feature returns the IM reply window to normal.  It doesn't solve the problem, but at least it's a way to manage it.

This whole thing just continues to get more fascinating for me. The exact same routine that displays the reply window in the first place is the same routine that the Preview feature calls on to display itself. Who knows what the hell is going on with the way IE interprets it at first and then for the Preview feature for IE to display the window in two so completely different ways?! :-  And for IE to also display the window correctly for some people when they're replying to a post - but not for others! ???

But you've gotta love those Microsoft programmers, don't ya? ::)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2003, 03:38:44 PM »
Have any of you tried bringing up IE separate from AOL? I don't know if that would make any difference, but it might be worth a try...

Bobubas said it doesn't make a difference.