Author Topic: Dan Curtis' Alternative to Leviathan  (Read 2337 times)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:Dan Curtis' Alternative to Leviathan
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2003, 03:33:28 PM »
I admit to being memory-damaged but I'm pretty sure that there was a "Ross" novel involving Barnabas, Quentin and a Mummy's Curse or somthing like that.....wasn't there?
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2003, 07:39:32 PM »
You name it, there was a Ross novel for it. Yes, there was a Barnabas, Quentin, and the Mummy's Curse. Take the generic Ross plot, plug in a mummy, a young and beautiful Collins cousin, and that's the gist of it.

--Mark

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2003, 10:51:54 PM »
That's what I loved about those Ross novels.  Everyone had a pretty Collins cousin, although sometimes distantly related.  And there was always a dashing young man, who might or might not be dangerous to the heroine.  I.E., they were typical gothic novels, with Barnabas and Quentin thrown in.

Gerard

LorraineAAB

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2003, 02:45:24 AM »
References to the 1932 Karloff film The Mummy remind me that I recently screened the commercial Universal VHS of the film released several years ago.  (snip)
I was struck while watching it at a certain resonance between how Boris Karloff moved and his facial expressions in this, and Jonathan Frid's performance as Barnabas on Dark Shadows.  Particularly in the original 1967 storyline and in the episodes on view now where Barnabas is evil again.  I'm not at all saying that Jonathan Frid was influenced by Karloff or modeling his performance upon Karloff's work (more snip)
Gothick

This reminds me of the running joke of "Arsenic and Old Lace", back when J. Frid toured with the production 1986-87--- that his character, thanks to inept plastic surgery, was supposed to resemble Boris Karloff, only as he appeared in "Frankenstein" (who DID shamble about, certainly more than the reanimated "Imhotep" ever did.  HE used a walking stick anyway, am I correct?  "Adam", DS's Frankenstein guy, also moved quite clumsily, but that was okay, I guess.)

The resemblence between J. Frid and B. Karloff actually went far deeper, and as was intended, created the jarring serious note in the otherwise loony story.

L.