Author Topic: Two Josette's Music Boxes?  (Read 1436 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Two Josette's Music Boxes?
« on: April 11, 2003, 12:22:54 AM »
I mentioned this in another thread, but the subject seems important enough (to me, anyway) to warrant a separate thread -- and hopefully the Subject line will be noticed by someone who knows.

I've been carefully examining every episode where Josette's music box is shown in closeup ever since I bought my copy from the DS Festival.

I am sure that there are TWO Josette's music boxes being used!  Has anyone else noticed this?  The one shown in Wednesday's episodes was the more elegant looking one -- somewhat wider, and with the glass wider at the top.  The last closeup of the music box that I remember from maybe a week or so ago seemed like a more slender and possibly taller version, and the glass seemed not to have the outward curvature.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re:Two Josette's Music Boxes?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2003, 03:23:22 PM »
I always kinda thought that there were two Josette's music boxes used throughout the series, just some subtle differences between them.  I wonder if they had two of them made (or purchased two very similar nick-nack, brick-a-brack thingies from a junk shop) just in case one got busted; you can see how they were sometimes a bit clumsy with the props.

Gerard

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2003, 02:24:05 PM »
Speaking of Josette's music box, I picked one up at the fest in LA two years ago.   I've never noticed if there was a difference in the props on TV but I do think that the musical versions are slightly different.  What I mean is that the version playing on TV is different from the one that plays on my music box.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2003, 11:52:45 PM »
I always kinda thought that there were two Josette's music boxes used throughout the series, just some subtle differences between them.  I wonder if they had two of them made (or purchased two very similar nick-nack, brick-a-brack thingies from a junk shop) just in case one got busted; you can see how they were sometimes a bit clumsy with the props.

Whew!  I was expecting to be written off as crazed and demented ...  thank you, Gerard!   :)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2003, 11:56:09 PM »
Speaking of Josette's music box, I picked one up at the fest in LA two years ago.   I've never noticed if there was a difference in the props on TV but I do think that the musical versions are slightly different.  What I mean is that the version playing on TV is different from the one that plays on my music box.

Miss Winthrop, this was discussed not long ago in an earlier thread about Josette's music box.  If you have the newer model (Dan Curtis Productions, circa 1996), the melody plays much faster than it ever does on the show; also in a higher key.

I wish I could remember what the first, original Josette's theme sounded like ... I liked that too; I missed those episodes in the most recent SciFi airing so it has been a few years since I've heard it.

Offline Latisha

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Catcam.tv
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2003, 12:34:58 AM »
I meant to write about this a long time ago, but isn't the music a totally different tune when the music box is introduced than it is now.  I could have sworn it was totally different.
Signed Latisha (owner of a 90's version of the music box, bought on Ebay at a RIDICULOUS amount of money, who also has finally overlapped and now seeing episodes remembered from before - the most memorable being when Garth saved Judith from Aristede).

Offline Debra

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2003, 08:53:10 PM »
I believe that the first music box tune was much more harmonous, with more a musical backround sound to it with more instruments playing.

The second one was a bit more "tinkling" and you didn't hear the whole muscially melody playing. It was more like maybe one or two instruments instead of whole band sound.

Alot of people prefer the first one but I have always liked the second one, tinkling music and all.  I prefer to hear the melody of the tune without all of that band music in the backround,which is what the first one reminded me of.

Deb

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2003, 03:44:14 PM »
I believe they are planning on offering the remaining music boxes from the 1990's at this years fest for $150.00 :o I also read that they are not planning on having any more made for them.

I bought mine in 2000 at the LA Fest for $40.00.

The tune is played faster and sounds has a more tinkly sound then the earlier version played on the show.

There is a music box site on the internet that is offering a music box with Josette's theme.  However, there is no example of what that  sounds like available on the web.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Debra

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2003, 02:06:00 AM »
Miss Winthrop, I wonder why they jacked the price up so much for the music  box?  That's a big price jump from $40.00 to $150.00!!   You were lucky to have gotten yours before the price went up.

I would love to have one myself but I'll have to wait and see a bit.  Im like you though, I'd be a little leary about buying it from another internet company, especially since there's no sample for you to hear first.

Deb