Author Topic: Josette's Painting - 1797?  (Read 3299 times)

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
Re:Josette's Painting - 1797?
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2003, 10:13:45 PM »
Love the archduchess and the Jack Smith references.  Haven't ever seen Ms. Montez in action, but an "auntie" of mine swears by her.

I hear you on the Friday thing!  Can I pour you a virtual cocktail, Gothick?  I make a killer martini! [lick]
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline sheenasma

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Sheena
    • View Profile
    • NancyMck's Dark Shadows Events
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2003, 01:30:04 AM »
  I think that Jack Smith's ideas about movies and culture were the source for the opinions Myra expressed in her classes in Gore Vidal's "classic" Sixties novel, Myra Breckinridge (I'm sure Liz and Julia were reading it behind closed doors at Collinwood in 1968).

Gothick having a difficult Friday

I read it behind closed doors in the 70's.  I wanted to get my hands on every book that made the banned list the nun posted in the HS library.  There was also a banned list of movies, things no good Catholic girl should see.  I was thrilled when NODS showed up on it.

Nancy, who feels sorry for the parochial school kids of today, pissing off a nun can't be nearly the fun it was when they still wore whimples, and their faces nearly exploded out of them when you got one worked up into a fine rage.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau

Screw Thoreau - sheenasma
GHP

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2003, 12:08:46 AM »
Here I had it all figured out that this portrait of Josette was simply a copy the Collins family commissioned from the original (perhaps having returned the original to Josette's father or surving relative).

But if 1795 is hereafter referred to as 1797, I guess that shoots my theory ...

However, I did think that this portrait looked more like KLS than what we had seen before ... which would support the theory that DS produced a new portrait for this storyline.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Raholt

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2003, 03:44:49 AM »
Actually, while the 1795 storyline supposedly took place in just 1795, You had Victoria Winters arriving in the fall of 1795 and staying for several months, which would have made it the winter of 1796.  The goof I like the best connect to the dating of the 1795 storyline happens after Vicki returns and searches for Peter Bradford's tombstone.  That stone says he died in April of 1795, yet that would have been months before Vicki's arrival.

The writers later did take it to 1796 when we had the mini flashback, when Barnabas went back to save Vicki from the gallows, but apparently they just couldn't keep their years straight and 1796 became 1797 and had the show last 20 years, it would have 1817.

Richard Holt