Author Topic: Josette's Painting - 1797?  (Read 3273 times)

Offline Blue_Whale_Barfly

• Full Poster
  • What do you mean last call!
    • View Profile
Josette's Painting - 1797?
« on: March 28, 2003, 01:40:05 AM »
It was done two years after her death?  How? Couldn't be with a picture.  From another painting?  Was it really done by CDT?  I'm so confused.

Offline Maria_Merriweather

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re:Josette's Painting - 1797?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2003, 01:57:18 AM »
Her [ghosty] sat for the portrait ? [confused5]
MM

Offline ms._hoffman

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2003, 02:01:44 AM »
It was done two years after her death?  How? Couldn't be with a picture.  From another painting?  Was it really done by CDT?  I'm so confused.

I'm told the signature was "Coswell"  but the date on the picture was 1797.

Offline Blue_Whale_Barfly

• Full Poster
  • What do you mean last call!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2003, 02:59:56 AM »
Yea, I saw that it was Cogswell but I figured CDT might have congered her up.  Just being a smarty pants.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2003, 03:15:36 AM »
I'm so confused.

Nah, but the writers were.  ;)

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2003, 04:45:41 AM »
Her [ghosty] sat for the portrait ? [confused5]

~ ~ ~
   Now that would be quite something to behold...
     There was no doubt the year was in error, also isn't that  signiture a bit big! I know it was never there before.
     The proper year should have been 1795 what were they thinking    ???

Sarah's  [ghost]
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2003, 04:46:28 AM »
It's a goof - bizarrely, from this time onwards, the writers seemed to decide that 1795's flashback had actually taken place in 1797, which is the date you'll hear given pretty much every single time it crops up from now on.

And yeah, it makes my brain hurt too  :-
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2003, 09:03:10 AM »
  Now that would be quite something to behold...
     There was no doubt the year was in error, also isn't that  signiture a bit big! I know it was never there before.

I noticed the same thing Sarah.  The signature was so big and so clear that you couldn't miss it. Yet, it was missed in 1795!  Usually an artist will sign their signature very small where it's barely legible. This one definetely wanted to be noticed. ;)

Cassandra[/font]
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2003, 12:45:15 PM »
I noticed the same thing Sarah.  The signature was so big and so clear that you couldn't miss it. Yet, it was missed in 1795!  Usually an artist will sign their signature very small where it's barely legible. This one definetely wanted to be noticed. ;)

Cassandra[/font]

Wanting to be noticed is definitely a Charles Delaware Tate thing ;D  Having said that, I think his character is one of the most interesting ones on DS. I understand that there is a lot of fan fiction about his character.  I'd love to know what he was doing between 1897 and 1969.  There were some landscapes painted and he apparently had some sort of reputation.  Perhaps he even painted some portraits too.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2003, 04:27:27 PM »
I think it was a deliberate "goof".  The writers simply wanted to make this Josette storyline take place exactly 100 years after the first one.  They just hoped no one would notice the discrepency.  It's kinda like the Laura storyline in reverse.  She was s'pose to show up every hundred years to wed a Collins, reproduce, and then shake-and-bake her kids, but it didn't work out that way.  She was always off by several decades each century (but I imagine when you're a few thousand years old, a decade here or there doesn't really mean much).

Gerard

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2003, 04:52:28 PM »

The new Coswell signature is so noticeable that its disappearance later on in the series is just as incredibly obvious.  ::)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2003, 05:42:57 PM »
I thought that signature was a hoot!  For some reason the sheer comic travesty of it all had not hit me before.

Also, I must be out of my mind, because I am sure this portrait is a copy, not the original.  I don't remember the trim of J's dress looking as if it had been ripped off in a bar fight, as is the case in this one.  I can see the scene now.  J-Co (sorry, can't resist) staggers into the Eagle having had just about as much as she can stand of Jeremiah's marital attentions.

Lorna Doone Bell, queen of the C'port doxies, spots J-Co, trying to sip a whisky in her wedding dress, screams "Whore!" and rips the trim.  J tries to grab Lorna's wig, makes a big swipe, misses and goes tumbling off the bar stool as the men of the Eagle watch the lady from the big house on the hill in mingled horror and amusement.

Goddess, where did THAT all come from?  I'd be curious whether others think the Josette portrait we're seeing now was a copy.  They could have decided to make it look more like KLS, if that was the case.

The girl in the picture looks a lot more like Maria Montez than Our Katie!

Crazed senile fan in Boston,

Gothick

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2003, 07:43:52 PM »
J-Co?!?!?!?  [clap] [scrm] [a1f5] ;D

Bar fight between J-Co and Ms. Bell?!?!?  [clap] [scrm] [a1f5] ;D

And, ohmigoddess!  That portrait really DOES look like Maria Montez!!! Wherever did you come up with that, Gothick?
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2003, 08:40:52 PM »
Just blame that bizarre archduchess's jewellery-chest known as my mind, Cassandra darling.  One of my favorite pieces of writing is "The Perfect Filmic Apotheosis of Maria Montez," by the late Jack Smith.  He regarded a bit of dialogue from Cobra Woman, "Give me that cobra jewel" (which comes out sound more like "GEEF me that copa-rah chewel") as the most perfect line in American cinema, perhaps even world cinema.  I think that Jack Smith's ideas about movies and culture were the source for the opinions Myra expressed in her classes in Gore Vidal's "classic" Sixties novel, Myra Breckinridge (I'm sure Liz and Julia were reading it behind closed doors at Collinwood in 1968).

I still think it's mega-weird that it looks as if Josette's dress is torn.  And, those colors!  bizarro.  The red chosen for the artist's sig is particularly excruciating.  Mary, turn off those sirens!

Gothick having a difficult Friday

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2003, 09:27:14 PM »
Just blame that bizarre archduchess's jewellery-chest known as my mind, Cassandra darling.  One of my favorite pieces of writing is "The Perfect Filmic Apotheosis of Maria Montez," by the late Jack Smith.  He regarded a bit of dialogue from Cobra Woman, "Give me that cobra jewel" (which comes out sound more like "GEEF me that copa-rah chewel") as the most perfect line in American cinema, perhaps even world cinema.  I think that Jack Smith's ideas about movies and culture were the source for the opinions Myra expressed in her classes in Gore Vidal's "classic" Sixties novel, Myra Breckinridge (I'm sure Liz and Julia were reading it behind closed doors at Collinwood in 1968).

I still think it's mega-weird that it looks as if Josette's dress is torn.  And, those colors!  bizarro.  The red chosen for the artist's sig is particularly excruciating.  Mary, turn off those sirens!

Gothick having a difficult Friday

oh Steve darling the weekend is coming! i'm planning on
relaxing and kicking back a few pink drinks! ;D

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV