Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0204  (Read 1497 times)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Discuss - Ep #0204
« on: May 04, 2012, 10:18:42 AM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0204
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 10:23:56 AM »
I really like this episode, for a couple of reasons other than the fact that the scene in the drawing room with Willie and Carolyn was well-done.

First, I like the fact that I'm relieved that Willie finally left Burke and Vicky alone at the Blue Whale - and then he shows up at Collinwood, and I wish he had stayed at the Blue Whale.

Second, I like the fact that our episode-ending cliffhanger was not about poor little Carolyn helplessly facing Willie, but rather that we got past the shortterm problem, and were left with the more serious longterm problem of Willie still being at Collinwood.

I find it surprising that Mrs. Johnson had a steak immediately available for Willie's breakfast, and I find i alarming that Roger kept a loaded gun in an unlocked drawer in the drawing room (does anybody really believe that David doesn't know about that gun?) but those are minor details.  I find it terrifically hard to believe, after watching that scene in the drawing room, that James Hall is a nice guy - and that's pretty neat.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 01:16:46 PM »
I believe that Lela Swift persuaded DC to get rid of Hall, that she sensed something about the actor wasn't right. 

This was JH's last filmed episode.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 03:30:26 PM »
Loved loved loved Roger's sour, sarcastic answers to Willie's questions.

The scenes in the kitchen and the drawing room were truly frightening, however not-right James Hall was for the part. We get what I believe is Willie's first reference to himself in the third person. Nice bit by NB at the end of the drawing-room scene.

Not the last time we will see "Uncle Roger's war pistol." Try as I might, I can't imagine Roger in the military, let alone in battle. And anyway, the timing is wrong, I think. He's too young for Korea and too old for Vietnam. The draft was still in effect, but he might have wheedled Elizabeth into getting him a deferment. Anyone have any ideas?

The closing credits for this episode roll over a shot of the foyer--and at a very oblique angle, a certain portrait is visible for the first time....

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 05:35:07 PM »
Willie certainly has a lot of gall, ordering the women around to do this and that for him, telling him they can only leave when HE says so. I'm sorry but I wouldn't have put up with that, a total stranger giving me orders in my own home. I know Vicki didn't want to see any trouble between Carolyn and Willie but I don't think she had any right to expect Carolyn to just sit there and take it...Willie bossing both of them around. The more they bow down to the creep the more he's going to take advantage of it.

At least later on Carolyn manage to show Willie she wasn't going to take any more of his crap without doing something about it. Was the gun really loaded, I wonder...because if it wasn't and Willie didn't shrink away from her and decided to 'help himself' to her, I think Carolyn would have been in real jeopardy.

Roger mentioned that Elizabeth told him that he and everyone else who doesn't approve of her houseguests can split if they don't like her houseguest. Very foolish of Elizabeth, because if Willie continues to harass the girls and irk Roger, that's exactly what she's going to wind up with...an empty household. If Willie continues to be threatening to the girls, I doubt they're going to want to live under the same roof with him and I don't imagine Roger is going to want David around this creep, either bullying him or starting to be a negative influence on him. I don't know about Mrs. Johnson, seeing as Jason and Willie flattered her with their bogus positive review of her cooking skills, but outside of her, Elizabeth might wind up with only Jason and Willie to keep her company and that is the last thing in the world she would ever want.

I also think Vicki should have let Burke beat the crap out of Willie...the guy could really use a good butt-kicking. [spoiler] Of course we will get the pleasure of a Burke/Willie scuffle a couple more episodes later on. [/spoiler]

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 05:40:33 PM »
Willie certainly has a lot of gall, ordering the women around to do this and that for him, telling him they can only leave when HE says so. I'm sorry but I wouldn't have put up with that, a total stranger giving me orders in my own home.

No kidding. As I was reading the Robservations synopsis of this episode, I had to laugh. If this character had come into my home ordering me about, I would have had some very colorful words for him. Well, I have colorful words for everybody anyway.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 03:21:18 AM »
Willie certainly has a lot of gall, ordering the women around to do this and that for him, telling him they can only leave when HE says so. I'm sorry but I wouldn't have put up with that, a total stranger giving me orders in my own home.

It's not that Vicki and Carolyn were weak-willed marshmallows.  It was clear to them both by this point that Loomis was a violent criminal and maniac with a rage against women.   They were afraid of being attacked.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 04:19:21 AM »
I don't blame Vicki and Carolyn for being scared, I just don't think that they should have allowed Willie to order them around like he was their boss. If I had been them, I would have told Willie politely and in a calm, quiet voice...I'm not your personal slave...make your own damn breakfast!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 04:59:00 AM »
In their minds, he already had the knife at their throats... and he may have had that knife on him at that moment.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 06:49:36 PM »
I agree. The girls were afraid, certainly angry, and were doing their best in an awful situation. And see my post above about sex crimes in 1968.

Watching Project

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 10:15:29 PM »
The Robservations caps for this ep have been posted.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 10:25:39 PM »
Loved loved loved Roger's sour, sarcastic answers to Willie's questions.

One of my all-time favorite Roger quips from this ep, probably from the entire series, is when he sarcastically says that maybe they should install a revolving door for Jason's other guests. I can't help but laugh uproariously for several minutes every time I see/hear him deliver that line.  [stfl]  [thumb]

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 11:00:24 PM »
Roger at his best :)
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 11:47:57 PM »
Roger at his best :)

And for once with an appropriate target. :)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 06:24:14 AM »
Take 3.  Who goofed, Hall?  This ep was all about Willie One being scary.   Roger's ego has bounced back pretty fast hasn't it?  This is the first we hear from after his shaming and confession.   That was a good scene with him and Willie.    It's always enjoyable when you know something's coming which Roger isn't going to like one bit....