Author Topic: Petofi's Nose  (Read 5642 times)

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
Re:Petofi's Nose
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2003, 09:14:55 PM »
Lord knows i tremble at the mere thought of disagreeing with Gothik but I too think its a fake nose.  There were a few eps were you could see some of it not completly cemented down on the right side. . .or he got into a fight at that bar they all hung out at and they used a lot of make up to hide the damage???[thinking2]
Julia99

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
the nose knows
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2003, 05:29:00 AM »
No idea about Petofi's,  I never noticed it at all. I do find it odd that he continues to wear ONE glove, and NOT on the disfigured, hideous "hand of Petofi"!

And if we are going to talk about Karl Malden's buttcrack nose, I just have to comment that Owen Wilson has one just like it.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re:the nose knows
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2003, 09:24:12 AM »
No idea about Petofi's,  I never noticed it at all. I do find it odd that he continues to wear ONE glove, and NOT on the disfigured, hideous "hand of Petofi"!

ROTFL!!! OMG, Im going to have to start watching Petofi alot more closely now!

Cassandra[/font]
"Calamity Jane"

Connie

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2003, 11:20:59 AM »
Lord knows i tremble at the mere thought of disagreeing with Gothik but I too think its a fake nose.

Well, Lord knows I tremble at the thought of disagreeing with Julia99 - LOL -  but that nose is his.   I looked closely at his last couple of scenes today.  The one in the foyer with Angelique - absolutely normal looking.  However, in the last scene with Quentin, when Petofi is looking down, the lighting in the drawing room right above him makes the nose look different - maybe a fake sort of look.

After he's done massaging Quentin....cozy, no?.....and is leaving the room, his nose looks totally normal again.

Jeez...all I'm doing now is staring at Petofi's nose!!   :-

-CLC

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2003, 06:16:42 PM »
Am I the last person to realize that Petofi's nose is prosthetic?!?

To be honest I never noticed Thayer's nose in the role of Petofi.  However, I've wondered how he could have seen anything at all with those glasses as thick as coke bottles! He must have been amazingly adept at learning his lines and where to be standing at all times without help from the tele-prompter.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2003, 10:35:23 PM »
To be honest I never noticed Thayer's nose in the role of Petofi.  However, I've wondered how he could have seen anything at all with those glasses as thick as coke bottles! He must have been amazingly adept at learning his lines and where to be standing at all times without help from the tele-prompter.

LOL!  You're right there, and the last thing this poor guy needs is more baggage added to his face and head!  He already has those coke bottle eye glasses, thick camel haired beard, and a lambs wool wig on his head.  What else does he need? LOL!!    Could you imagine the Directors telling him they're also going to add a fake nose to the picture?   It's a wonder he didn't pass out.  [6184]

Cassandra[/font]
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2003, 08:36:36 PM »
It's funny, my son home from college for a day or so came in while I was attempting to watch an episode.  I love the reaction of someone who does not watch the show.  He looks at the TV screen and very casually says "Nice wig, nice glasses, is that guy on crack."  Than we have to go into the whole thing is the werido a good guy or a bad guy.   Never got to look too closely at the nose, the wig thing was a big topic of conversation.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2003, 02:07:49 AM »
What does it say about how slap-happy WE all are, that we have 22 posts on a thread about whether or not Thayer David is wearing his own nose as Count Petofi?   ???

rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2003, 03:22:54 AM »
looked closely at his last couple of scenes today.  The one in the foyer with Angelique - absolutely normal looking.  However, in the last scene with Quentin, when Petofi is looking down, the lighting in the drawing room right above him makes the nose look different - maybe a fake sort of look.

After he's done massaging Quentin....cozy, no?.....and is leaving the room, his nose looks totally normal again.

It's obviously fake across the bridge of the nose.  Of course it's not supposed to look "fake."

As you mentioned (but then contradict), you can see this best when his head is tilted downward. You could see fairly clearly that it was an "attachment" in the scene you mention, and that this was not an illusion due to lighting or a reflection. A couple days ago I even started laughing because it looked like his nose was made out of silly putty!

The shape of the nose across the bridge is completely unlike Thayer Davids' nose as the other characters he plays. Maybe this is the real one and the others fake?
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2003, 04:12:35 PM »
This thread is really fascinating.

I've watched some of these shows 4 or 5 times and never paid any attention whatsoever as to what was going on with Thayer's nose.

If I can tear my attention away from his amazing performance as the Count long enough to check, I'll be sure and have a look at the bridge of his nose next time I watch these shows.

Thanks for clueing me in,

Gothick

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2003, 03:36:56 PM »
NOZE????  What about the lips???  when he is sitting there in a stupor/trance today, he looked like a carp! [or Ryan Styles doing a fish!]

The noze is real, the lips are fake!
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2003, 03:36:30 AM »
NOZE????  What about the lips???  when he is sitting there in a stupor/trance today, he looked like a carp! [or Ryan Styles doing a fish!]

The noze is real, the lips are fake!

I've been noticing for a long time, too, that his lips look really weird, but can't see that anything could have been done to them -- short of collagen injections.  ;D

In today's first scene you could actually see where the fake nose comes down the length and middle of the nose, and the square edges of the "piece" (or possibly adhesive strips) were apparent.

O.K., that's the last time I'll mention his nose, since everyone seems to think this aspect of costuming and characterization is trite ...

Thayer David's performance, as always, is sterling, but I have to say that when I first viewed 1897 (during the last SciFi run), I was so distracted by the whole wig/glasses/etc. getup that I had a difficult time even noticing his performance.

This viewing I've been able to appreciate Mr. David's acting in this role, but I personally prefer his other characterizations to this one, perhaps because the others are more realistic and believable people (Ben Stokes, Professor Stokes).

In trying not to be distracted so much by Petofi's wig this time, I've come up with a theory:  the wig is not a product of the costume department -- it may actually be Petofi's accessory because he's bald!

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2003, 03:45:14 PM »
O.K., that's the last time I'll mention his nose, since everyone seems to think this aspect of costuming and characterization is trite ...

Thayer David's performance, as always, is sterling, but I have to say that when I first viewed 1897 (during the last SciFi run), I was so distracted by the whole wig/glasses/etc. getup that I had a difficult time even noticing his performance.

This viewing I've been able to appreciate Mr. David's acting in this role, but I personally prefer his other characterizations to this one, perhaps because the others are more realistic and believable people (Ben Stokes, Professor Stokes).

In trying not to be distracted so much by Petofi's wig this time, I've come up with a theory:  the wig is not a product of the costume department -- it may actually be Petofi's accessory because he's bald!
     I don't know, Vlad, but I'm kinda having fun with this.  I catch myself staring at Petofi's nose instead of listening to the dialog.  I agree the costume is distracting(too much costume, too much make-up, too much sweat, etc.)  Petofi always looks like he needs a shower and some deodorant. 
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2003, 05:31:07 PM »
Well, I happened to be home this morning and turned on the set, and the show was on, and the camera showed the top of Petofi's face and was right over his nose--and I'm sorry, but if there was any tape or putty there, *I* didn't see it.

And so it goes.

Gothick

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2003, 09:34:14 PM »
 i have to admit i trynot to look at him too closely
 He is just too ICKY! but he is a great  actor! Poor Quentin too lose that face 8) for PETOFI"S  i rather go back to being a wolf man!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV