Author Topic: Petofi's Nose  (Read 5683 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Petofi's Nose
« on: March 12, 2003, 03:45:11 AM »
Am I the last person to realize that Petofi's nose is prosthetic?!? I just noticed that on a closeup as I was randomly inserting cassettes into my VCR, not sure which ones where which.

The prosthetic nose works much better in Thayer David's case, IMO, than the much-ballyhoo'd prothesis used by Nicole Kidman in "The Hours" (if I can go by the various clips I've seen of the movie). It obviously changes her appearance, but it certainly doesn't make Ms. Kidman look remotely like the cool, regal/Bohemian genius Virginia Woolf.

And then there's always Michael Jackson's ... If Vanity Fair is to be believed, the guy only has two nostrils and no nose ...  :o
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

ClaudeNorth

Re:Petofi's Nose
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2003, 05:34:42 AM »
Hmmm...I never noticed that it was a prosthetic nose.  I'll have to go back and look.

And no discussion of prosthetic noses would be complete without a mention of the one worn by Christopher Pennock during his early days as John Yeager.  CP revealed that it was the one worn by Jack Palance in the DCP of THE STRANGE CASE OF DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE.

One size does NOT fit all!

Regards,

John

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2003, 05:37:51 AM »
Vlad,

While waiting on one of those insufferably long check-out lines at the local supermarket, I did what most other people do to kill time, read the tabloids!

Anyway, there happened to be an article on famous (and, not-so-famous) Hollywood actors/singers who had undergone the surgeon's knife in an attempt to improve the appearance of their proboscis(es?).

I don't think that I should mention any of the names of the before and after surgically-improved actors (with accompanying photographs).  Suffice it to say, that the nose knows.

Bob the Bartender, a big fan of Lee Majors, Paula Abdul, Tom Jones, and that Lisa (?) Hartman actress from Knott's Landing (?).

PS People who should consider undergoing that particular cosmetic surgery:  former Clevland Indian pitcher Bob Lemon, "Uncle Tonoose" from "the Danny Thomas Show," Max Klinger from "M*A*S*H," John Yeager of "Dark Shadows," the great Tony Bennett, the extremely talented Ms. Barbara Streisand and the bulbous Bob the Bartender!

RIP: Ernie "The Schnozz" Lombardi, star catcher of the New York Giants and one of the great schnozzolas of all time!

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2003, 06:48:54 AM »
Vlad,

While waiting on one of those insufferably long check-out lines at the local supermarket, I did what most other people do to kill time, read the tabloids!

Anyway, there happened to be an article on famous (and, not-so-famous) Hollywood actors/singers who had undergone the surgeon's knife in an attempt to improve the appearance of their proboscis(es?).

I don't think that I should mention any of the names of the before and after surgically-improved actors (with accompanying photographs).  Suffice it to say, that the nose knows.

Bob the Bartender, a big fan of Lee Majors, Paula Abdul, Tom Jones, and that Lisa (?) Hartman actress from Knott's Landing (?).

PS People who should consider undergoing that particular cosmetic surgery:  former Clevland Indian pitcher Bob Lemon, "Uncle Tonoose" from "the Danny Thomas Show," Max Klinger from "M*A*S*H," John Yeager of "Dark Shadows," the great Tony Bennett, the extremely talented Ms. Barbara Streisand and the bulbous Bob the Bartender!

RIP: Ernie "The Schnozz" Lombardi, star catcher of the New York Giants and one of the great schnozzolas of all time!

so funny Bob sometimes i pick the long line just to catch up om my "reading" ! Lisa was good on Knot's landing and is married to Clint Black
jennifer

can't forget Karl Malden!
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2003, 09:10:16 AM »
Jennifer Wrote:
can't forget Karl Malden!

And Jimmy Durante too!

Cassandra[/font]
"Calamity Jane"

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2003, 09:23:18 AM »
charles de gual.  il est grand nez!

one of the few things i remember from french class lol!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2003, 05:53:39 PM »
Sorry to disagree, but I don't think Thayer wore any facial prosthetics as Petofi.

It's all him, so far as I can tell.  And what a wonderful job he did as the Count.  Such delicious unpleasantness.

Wasn't there a discussion of his nose the last time we all went through 1897?

Gothick

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2003, 10:56:06 PM »
Jennifer,

Do you remember those great American Express Traveler's Check commercial parodies that Johnny Carson used to do on the "Tonight Show"?:

We see a guy and his wife sitting in a communal bath in Tokyo.  Suddenly, the guy realizes that he has misplaced their non-American Express Traveler's Checks, saying: "Honey, what will we do?"  At that moment, Johnny, wearing a trenchcoat, a Clark Kent-like fedora, and, most importantly, a Karl Malden-like prosthetic proboscis, emerges from the bath water, declaring: "American Express Traveler's Checks, don't leave home without them!!!"

Of course, Mr. Carson once wondered, if you happened to be talking with Karl Malden, the wonderful Academy Award-winning actor, and Mr. Malden just happened to sneeze, would it be considered rude NOT to lend Mr. Malden your one, clean handkerchief?

Bob the Bartender, who, for one, is extremely glad that Dan Curtis apparently decided to "lose" the phony schozz on John Yeager after only one episode.   

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2003, 08:45:16 AM »
Sorry to disagree, but I don't think Thayer wore any facial prosthetics as Petofi.
It's all him, so far as I can tell.

I have to agree with Gothick here.  As I watched today's shows back to back I got a good chance to see the Count's face close up and from what I can see his nose doesn't look fake at all.

Cassandra[/font]
"Calamity Jane"

Connie

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2003, 10:43:20 AM »

Well now, hold on there Steve.   What about that commercial?

"The American Express Card....don't leave your century without it."

[gring]

Offline Blue_Whale_Barfly

• Full Poster
  • What do you mean last call!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2003, 01:39:11 PM »
For noses I have to go with William Jefferson Clinton though I know it's only the second most famous part of his body.

Petofi's nose looks fake to me too.  maybe it is somedays and not on others?

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2003, 02:48:07 PM »
You put a smile on my face with that screen grab! You are too much! I hope he buys a snazzier outfit when he gets to Orhbach's Dept Store. Do they even take American Express?
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2003, 03:40:26 PM »
LOL, Connie! Next time I head back east I am going to stop by your place for tea and crumpets, and image manipulation lessons. ;) :)

You know, several episodes back I could swear I saw the fake nose peeling up from TD's real nose. Let's face it, on DS it's not to be unexpected, ::) , so I just took it for granted that it indeed was a fake nose (or at least the bridge was fake). I even went so far as to convince myself by noticing that all but the bridge of his nose was sweaty, ??? . But then a few eps back I saw it peeling again, but realized (when he moved his head) that it was a shadow cast by the "Petofi's" coke-bottle glasses that made it appear so (to me). Of course now I'm all cornfused again! lol...

dom (fence-sitter extraordinaire)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2003, 04:39:04 AM »
Wasn't there a discussion of his nose the last time we all went through 1897?

I don't remember that.

It appears, though, that I'm not the only one who has noticed something very odd about Thayer David's nose in his current role as Petofi.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Connie

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2003, 05:02:52 AM »
LOL, Connie! Next time I head back east I am going to stop by your place for tea and crumpets, and image manipulation lessons. ;) :)

Well, HELL YEAH!  I'll put the kettle on.

Of course now I'm all confused again! lol...

Join the club.  All this talk about Petofi's nose has me totally bewildered.  Haven't noticed anything unusual about it at all.  Now YOU'RE mentioning shadows and skin peeling off or something.   LOL

Huh??  [hdscrt]
Gotta lay down and rest.