Author Topic: brooklyn DS "tribute"  (Read 2319 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: brooklyn DS "tribute"
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2012, 05:56:55 PM »
and the book is nice but it isn't really a "must have" if one has her other pompress recollections.

I still haven't read much of the book. However, I did get it back yesterday from the friend I'd lent it to, so I'll probably start to read sections as I get the chance. Though, as I've said, I bought it basically for the photos so most of the text is pretty much immaterial to me - especially when a great deal of it is skewed to a certain POV...

You know what would really be a hoot is if someone were to ever politely attempt to correct her recollections at one of these public events. But, of course, that never happens...

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2012, 06:02:51 PM »
as an ordinary person i would not ask or expect someone to remember in detail things that happened to them 45 years ago. god knows i'm lucky if i remember what happened yesterday...

but when one's primary business is published memoirs and recollections i think that they do have a certain obligation to get the information correct. simple research and a glimpse at widely available material could easily eliminate most lapses in memory before something went to press. [easter_huh]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2012, 06:13:19 PM »
I've never faulted KLS for the things in My Scrapbook Memories because those were her memories, and as you say, memory is a fleeting thing. (Though I do get pissed when other writers use that book as a source and treat what's written as gospel because then all her faulty memories get expressed as facts.  [easter_rolleyes]  And now I understand that a good deal of the text of that book has been included in Return To Collinwood, so others will probably look on what's included as even more of a definitive source, which it is not.  [easter_sad])  But there's really absolutely no excuse IMO for the myriad of errors in, say, the almanacs because, as you say, with a simple bit of fact checking they could have all been easily avoided.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2012, 06:20:43 PM »
I am only interested in Return/Collinwood for Darren's revised work on the films (which will be quite a treat!) and the photos, which could potentially be a thrill.  Nancy K just posted a Barnabas publicity photo from the 1967 sessions I am pretty sure has gone unseen all these years, and it's a really good one--great angle, with the cane, in Josette's bedroom with her portrait above Barnabas.

I hope you enjoy the event!  If I lived in NYC I would definitely plan to be there.

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2012, 03:28:37 PM »
turns out that the event was part of a monthly industrial/goth dance party. the DS portion of the evening was ancillary.

as promised KLS did a live skype interview. as have been her remarks of late she spoke of the new book and of her experience onset at pinewood. again she reassured jittery fans that having despite limited involvement in the film she has read the script in it's entirety and promises "fantasy", "romance" and "horror" alongside humor. those four combined elements being to her, at least for the moment, the "essence" of the story.

needless to say she also added touching words in regards to jonathan frid. she quoted some of depp and burton's remarks as fitting tributes.

then, of course, in response to the usual questions there were the usual inaccuracies. in scott's new take on her casting as josette, which she has repeated several times lately, is that the role was created as the vampire's doomed love. that josette's first ghostly utterance was "come to me barnabas." i'm not sure why that's her spin because as we know the character was first seen long before anyone had ever even heard of barnabas collins but there it is.

i'm not sure if she misspoke or if he's a recent addition but, in a plug for the east coast fest, added that david selby will be present.

otherwise NODS played on a large screen and episodes from the series on smaller monitors throughout the bar. i stayed for about two hours but not being otherwise remotely into the "goth" thing there was not alot there for me.

guests were given black t-shirts with depp's barnabas on the front and the "strange is relative" tagline. it'll make a good pajama top.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2012, 03:41:13 PM »
she also spoke well of her replacement as josette bella heathcote...

she said she was adorable and maybe 104 pounds. so much for those "fertile birthing hips". [ghost_wink]

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2012, 03:52:29 PM »
Nancy K just posted a Barnabas publicity photo from the 1967 sessions I am pretty sure has gone unseen all these years, and it's a really good one--great angle, with the cane, in Josette's bedroom with her portrait above Barnabas.

Where?
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2012, 04:37:20 PM »
Devil's advocate here... maybe KLS isn't counting Josette as a role until a walking, talking actress played it, as opposed to when Josette was just a fuzzy looking ghost in a wedding dress bopping around the front yard of the Old House.   So Josette was created as a role, to be played by an actress, later during early Barnabas, even though Josette as a silent, fleeting presence had been there since 1966.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2012, 04:37:36 PM »
i'm not sure if she misspoke or if he's a recent addition but, in a plug for the east coast fest, added that david selby will be present.
He's already committed to perform in a play that runs at the Old Globe in San Diego during the weekend of the Festival. This was announced some time ago and has been reiterated by Jim Pierson in recent radio interviews and is the information that is being conveyed on Selby's web site.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2012, 04:59:16 PM »
magnus...

KLS is not speaking of her casting of josette as a real flesh-and-blood character(which of course did not even occur until 1795)but of her first appearance as a ghost.

it's the old story of her arriving at the studio and finding the producer and wardrobe mistress draping a dressmakers dummy in tatty cloth with the hope that lit and photographed properly it would make an effective ghostly apparition.

it was then, very early in the show's run, that she stepped in. not much later during the barnabas period of the series.

in her earlier recollections she got the timing of this correctly. recently however, and for whatever reason, she has altered the story so that josette was only created in relationship to barnabas.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2012, 04:59:32 PM »
Wow, KLS isn't just confused about the Sixties... now she's got David Selby bilocating in 2012!  Amazing.  The powers of royalty...

Thanks for the report about the event, michael.  Did the bar decor have any DS specific images or features for the evening or was it just standard goth-industrial?

Thanks for being our man on the spot!  At least you got a t-shirt!

cheers, G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2012, 05:09:28 PM »
g,

the decor, and the crowd, was standard goth/industrial. lots of black. no one was specifically "in costume" that i could tell.

they did open with the "blue whale" tune. and there was the now-familiar poster up of depp and company with the "every family has it's demons" tagline. and again the series and it's various offshoots projected throughout the place. but that's it...

i was at least hoping for claret cup. [ghost_wink]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2012, 06:42:55 PM »
It really isn't a party without claret cup!  So much for standards!

I wonder whether any of the Goth chicks/lads were there sporting the new Orly DS cosmetics on face and nails?

G.