Author Topic: Robservations 1/16/03 - #770-771 -  Pansy, Carl's Tart; Dirk Causes Trouble  (Read 1339 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
770 - (Louis Edmonds) - The great house of Collinwood as it looked just before the turn of the century.  To this troubled time in the past, Barnabas Collins has come hoping to find answers that will save the lives of two people in the present.  But while Barnabas works to learn the myriad secrets of an era gone by, he lives with one great danger--that someone, somehow, will learn his own darkest secret.  And on this night, in the Old House on the Collins estate, someone will.

Jamison starts to open the coffin, but stops when he hears a door slam.  Upstairs, Barnabas  leads the half-conscious Dirk in, blood dripping from the holes in his throat.  Jamison looks around for a hiding place. . .

Barnabas orders Dirk to sit on the sofa--and don't move until I tell you to.  Why did you bring me here? Dirk asks.  You had a busy evening, replies Barn, and need a rest--a good long rest.  What are you going to do with me? asks Dirk.  I'll wait until you recover some of your strength, says Barnabas, then we'll discuss it.
No, says Dirk, I want to know now.  Why? asks Barn, you aren't going anywhere, are you?  Are you going to kill me? Dirk asks.  I could have already done so, points out Barn.  Why not? asks Dirk.  For the time being, says Barn, you are more use to me alive than dead.  Why? asks Dirk.  I have a plan for you, says Barn, but you're in no condition to take part in it.  What plan? asks Dirk.  I hope you'll be able to undo the damage you've done--you're going to find Jamison and find a way to convince him everything you told him is a lie.

Down in the basement, Jamison looks nervously around.

What happens if I refuse? Asks Dirk.  You can't, says Barn--you have no will of your own--I am your will, and you will do what I ask you to do.  It may be too late, warns Dirk.  No, says Barn--you think Jamison may have told someone?  Yes, says Dirk gleefully.  If he has, warns Barn, the first thing I'll do is kill you.

Jamison falls as he's walking back up the steps, but rises and continues.  Barnabas hears and orders the moaning Dirk, stay where you are!  Barnabas opens the cellar door but doesn't spot Jamison hiding behind it.  The boy sneaks from the cellar and exits the house.

Barnabas checks the cellar and demands to know who's down there.  No answer.  He looks around but finds no one, then heads back upstairs. Dirk can't seem to get comfortable on the sofa, and is too weak to rise.  He finally stumbles to his feet and falls to his knees.  Barnabas grabs him--you wouldn't get more than a few feet from the front door without collapsing, he says.  Please let me go, Dirk begs.  "When I'm ready to let you go," says Barn--I'll take you where you can get a good rest.  He opens the secret bookcase and leads Dirk inside.

Jamison returns to Collinwood, out of breath from running.  Beth stops him on the stairs and asks where he's been.  Outside, he says.  Where? she demands.  Where's my father? Asks the boy--I must see and speak to him.  Your father is in Collinsport for the evening, says Beth.  Where? asks Jamison--I want to telephone him.  Out of the question says Beth, even as the boy goes to the foyer phone.  It's important, he insists.  It's more important that you get to bed before your father comes home, says Beth.  They argue over this.  Edward should be home by 11, says Beth.  Jamison notes that's an hour away.  She tries to make him go upstairs, but he pulls away--I'm not going!--I must speak to my father tonight, and I'm staying downstairs until he comes home.  Jamison closes himself in the drawing room, leaving Beth as nervous as hell.

10:10 PM - Beth gazes at the grandfather clock.  She opens the double doors and joins Jamison.  Edward will be angry with both of us, she says especially me for letting you stay up late--tell me what you want to tell your father.  I can't, insists Jamison--my father is the only one I'll tell--stop asking me so many questions. Did something happen to frighten you while you were outside? She asks.  Yes, he admits.  I want to know what it was, asks Beth.  I can't, Jamison reiterates it's--never mind!   She closes the double doors--I'm going to my room to get something, says Beth, who instead wraps herself in a shawl and leaves the house.

Dirk lies on a makeshift bed in the secret room, moaning, telling Barnabas, "Something is wrong--help me, he begs.  Barnabas is puzzled--you should have regained your strength by now.  Why haven't I? asks Dirk.  I don't know, Barnabas admits.  He leaves Dirk resting and moaning, closing the secret door.  Beth comes in and tells Barnabas, I finally spoke to Jamison, who didn't arrive home until 10 PM--I don't know what he was doing during that time, but I'm convinced he believed what Dirk told him.  Why? asks Barn.  He wouldn't tell me, says Beth--he was just very anxious to see his father--he's waiting up for him now, in the living room.  I see, says Barn.  He checks the clock.  Edward is due back at 11, says Beth--it's only 20 minutes to that hour now.  It's too late to do anything now, asserts Barnabas.  What about your plan? asks Beth.  Dirk is involved in that plan, Barnabas reminds her.  I thought you had him under your control, says Beth.  Yes, says Barn, "but I went too far--Dirk hasn't recovered, and he isn't going to."  He could die? asks Beth, her face falling.  Yes, says Barn.  Oh, no, she says.  Don't grieve for him, advises Barnabas, if he'd had his way, he'd have destroyed everyone at Collinwood.  What will you do now? she asks--I think you should go to Collinsport before Edward comes home, speak to Jamison yourself.  Too dangerous, says Barn.   I think it might be more dangerous to allow Jamison to speak to his father and tell him everything, opines Beth.  If I confront Jamison now, after all he's been through, says Barn, it might harm him--and I cannot afford to alienate Jamison, he's too important to me.  Why? demands Beth.  You wouldn't know, says Barn, and even if you did, you wouldn't understand--I came back to Collinwood on a mission, and if Jamison is harmed now, it could mean failure for me.  Then you're just going to let him tell Edward everything, says Beth, voice shaking.
Yes, says Barnabas, but I will be prepared for Edward when the time comes.  Everything seems so terribly hopeless, says Beth, defeated, sinking down onto the purple round thing.

11:10 PM - Edward returns home and divests himself of his coat.  Jamison races out--I must speak to you, Father, he says--something frightening has happened, and I know it's true, I saw it for myself--and he almost caught me.  Edward, realizing how scared his son is, says, calmly tell me what's going on.  Cousin Barnabas has a secret, reveals Jamison, and I learned what it is--you won't believe it, but please try, Father, he begs--"Barnabas, he, well, he's a vampire."

Edward rubs his chin, pondering what Jamison said--I never heard of anything so absurd, he finally says.  I didn't believe Dirk, either, says Jamison, until I went into the cellar of the Old House and saw the coffin he sleeps in--he stays in it during the day, because he can only rise at night.  This is too incredible, says Edward.
It's true, Jamison assures him--I'm frightened.  Dirk got you so worked up, your imagination went wild, says Edward.  I didn't imagine it, says Jamison--please believe me, Father--go to the Old House and see for yourself--I'm not lying, he sobs, and presses his face against his father's chest.  Edward pats his back and assures him I don't think you're lying.  I'll go to the Old House, says Edward, after I've taken you upstairs.

Old House - 11:50 - Barnabas tells Edward, I don't know what to say to Jamison, except that I'm somewhat shocked that he lent such credence to this story--we both know Dirk has been behaving strangely lately, and wouldn't put it past him to say incredible things to Jamison.  I've never seen Jamison this scared, says Edward, and I don't think only words would do that.  Do you actually believe the story he told? asks Barnabas, incredulous.  No, scoffs Edward, you're a member of our family, and I won't believe anything without proof--but I must give Jamison the benefit of the doubt--I'd like to look at your cellar--Jamison says he was there earlier and saw a coffin.  I believe you are actually believing this story, says Barnabas softly.  No, says Edward, I didn't say that.  Take my word for it, says Barnabas--there is no coffin in my basement.  Edward still insists on looking.  "My word is not enough?" asks Barnabas, stung.  Under the circumstances, says Edward, not enough for Jamison, and he's the one I must deal with.  Barnabas faces Edward and tells him, follow me.  We see the bookcase.  Barnabas leads Edward down into his cellar, where, of course, the coffin has been removed.  I don't see a coffin, points out Barnabas--do you?  Irritated, Edward says no--but I don't understand what's happened tonight.  I understand, says Barnabas--I think Dirk was bitter about being dismissed by Judith, and wanted to get back at the family, so he told this wild story about me.  I don't think the story was wild as you might think, says Edward.  Surely you don't believe there is a vampire menacing all of us? asks Barn.
There was a time I would have though it impossible, says Edward, but since learning the truth about Laura. . .I can no longer dismiss the supernatural as a figment of imagination--then there are those strange, unexplainable attacks both here and in town, with Charity Trask being one of the victims, if you recall.  Barnabas does.  She had those strange marks on her throat, says Edward, and the doctors couldn't explain how they were inflicted.  By a vampire? asks Barnabas.  I don't know, says Edward, but I intend to find out, and very soon.  How? asks Barnabas.  I plan to track down Dirk Wilkins, says Edward--find out exactly what he told Jamison and demand to see whatever evidence he has.  Edward heads back upstairs, leaving Barnabas in thinking mode down in the basement.

Edward leaves the house.  Beth comes downstairs as soon as he leaves.  I'm safe, Barnabas tells her, but only for the moment--he refused to believe there's no vampire and is going to pursue it until he's satisfied--and we must make him satisfied, says Barn--he's looking for a vampire and we will give him one--Dirk will not live out the night, but die and rise as a vampire--I will see to it that Edward discovers and destroys Dirk, closing the whole matter and keeping my secret.  Barnabas, proud of this idea, orders her to stay with Dirk until the end.  He opens the secret panel, but finds Dirk already gone!

NOTES:  Whew, that was a good episode--and now we have a vampire-Dirk roaming around the estate!  I wonder why Barnabas "went too far" with Dirk, draining him so much he couldn't recover?  That's sloppy vampire work, Barnabas, you've had more experience than that--shame on you!  Beth is perpetually wringing her hands, upset over everything, but she sure does have reason.  Barnabas' plan is a good one, but doesn't he realize everyone will wonder who "sired" Dirk in the first place?  Vampires are made, not born.

771 - (Joan Bennett) - The great house of Collinwood in the year 1897.  And a child has told his father of the strange discovery he made in the Old house on the estate.  And so Barnabas Collins finds himself a suspect again, forced to answer Edward's questions, and realizes that if his secret is discovered now, he will be powerless to help Chris Jennings and David Collins in the future.

Beth is puzzled--how did Dirk leave the room?--I'm frightened.  Barnabas says--there's no time for that.  You know what happened to Dirk? asks Beth.  Barnabas responds, I didn't expect him to die so soon. He's dead, states Beth.  Yes, says Barn, that's what I've sentenced him to--there much to be done tonight; Dirk's dying is part of my plan, but I needed to know his movements and where he slept, so that when the day came and the vampire had to be found, you could lead them to Dirk.  How can we find him? she asks.  Barn explains, when Dirk's first need is satisfied, he'll know the fear of the day, the terrible sense that darkness is disappearing and light showing--he'll look for a secret, dark womb that will keep him safe--and we must find that place.
HOW? asks Beth, there's so many possible hiding places!  We must find and get control of him, says Barn--come, he orders.  He closes the secret door, and assures Beth, Dirk will not harm either you or me when you are with me.  Beth starts to ask questions, but Carl enters the house, all excited.  He's frazzled, flustered, unsure if it's a good evening or not.  What a time I've had, he blathers--do this for me, Barnabas, it's the only way out, you can't imagine what a time I've had, sitting on that train, not sure of what I'd do or say, and then I thought of my cousin, and it made all the difference.  Barnabas asks, what are you talking about?  Carl searches through his valise for "a gift I got for you, fresh from Atlantic City, NJ--salt water taffy!"  Carl goes on about how a taste of it is like feeling fresh air blowing from the sea.  Barnabas thanks him.  Beth reminds Barn, there's something we must do.  Carl has other concerns, however--first, open the box, and then I will tell you what happened to me.  That's got to wait, says Barn--Dirk has disappeared mysteriously.  Then Judith will just have to find someone else, babbles Carl (ah the mind of a child)!--open the box.  Barnabas does--it's empty!  Oh, she must have ate it, says Carl, you know how women eat when they're nervous, I gave you the wrong one.  He takes back the empty box and searches for another in his valise.  Barnabas, anxious to search for Dirk, suggests Carl return to Collinwood.  I'm too nervous, insists Carol--I must have your assurance that SHE can stay here.  (Carl looks like Sherlock Homes in his cloak.)  Carl decides there's no reason Beth can't know, she will anyway, everyone will--I thought this would never happen to me, I thought I'd go through life being one of the unmarried Collins brothers.  "You've gotten married?" guesses Barnabas.  Oh, no, says Carl, I wouldn't do anything like that behind my family's back, as if I'm ashamed--you don't know Carl Collins, or for that matter, Pansy Faye.  Barnabas repeats this name, nonplused.  Pansy wanted a church wedding, says Carl--you can be my best man!  Let's discuss it tomorrow, suggests Barn.  She's here, waiting, says Carl--Pansy! do this one thing for me, he begs.  Barnabas, resigned, says, "Anything, Carl."  I wanted to prepare Judith so my Pansy is shown to her best advantage, says Carl--can Pansy stay here?  Of course, says Barn.  Carl, ecstatic, dashes off, muttering how well she sings and how great she is (and he's so cute)!  Beth offers to go on to Collinwood.  I don't want you in the woods alone, says Barnabas.  He may keep you for hours, warns Beth.  I won't let him, Barnabas assures her.  Carl bounces back into the room, announcing, "Presenting, direct from her triumph before her Imperial Majesty, Queen Victoria of England, that world famous mentalist and most beguiling songstress, Miss Pansy Faye!"
In walks the lady herself, dressed in garish purple, feathery headgear, plaid red and yellow, with a white boa that she brandishes as she sings, a capella, "I'm gonna dance for you. . ."  (We will hear this song a lot, trust me!)  She wiggles and tara ra boomdeays her butt in Barnabas and Beth's stunned, disbelieving faces.  (THIS IS PRICELESS!)  Pansy finishes her song, Carl claps alone, Barnabas cannot believe his eyes.

Barnabas tells Pansy I'm delighted to meet you--but one of our servants is missing, and Beth and i must tend to that.  Carl tells Pansy, I've found the perfect person to introduce you to Judith.     Pansy, her Cockney accent quite thick, tells Carl, you go on about your sister, and I'm sure she's just as nice as she can be, and I suspect you are afraid of her.  No, says Carl, but I want Judith to love you just as much as I do, and I've found the perfect way of doing it--you can do your act for Judith.  Pansy reminds him, I'm retired.  Carl suggests a farewell appearance.  No, she says.  Pansy can find Dirk for you, babbles Carl--isn't that a great idea, Barnabas?  Barnabas sees no reason to make Miss Faye do their work for them--we can find him.  Carl tells them how great Pansy is--the first time I saw her act, she even read my mind (I'll bet!)  Pansy playfully smacks his arm.  I was sort of embarrassed, admits Carl--anyone could tell what was on my mind.  He grins and clings to Pansy's arm.  She laughs, too.  Barnabas says, I can well imagine.  I'll make myself at home, says Pansy.  Get Pansy some coffee, Barnabas orders Beth; I'll be back soon.  Carl offers to drive Barnabas to the house and they can tell Judith how things stand.

Pansy looks around carefully, sizing up the place.  Do you want coffee? asks Beth.  "Don't touch it," says Pansy--but sherry would be nice.  I imagine so, says Beth, but I don't live here, I work at the big house.  How big is it? asks Pansy.  Very big, says Beth shortly.  I sure whether to believe Carl or not, says Pansy, when he claimed it was like a castle; being in my line, men tell me lots of things.  Beth hands her a glass of sherry.  I'm going to be very happy here, says Pansy--"Cheers," she toasts, downing her drink in one unladylike gulp.

Collinwood - Carl stands and listens as Judith tells Barnabas, we must find Dirk and learn exactly what he told Jamison--it's hard for me to believe monsters are running around the estate, but given all the strange things that have happened lately. . .  Barnabas says, I'm anxious to find Dirk myself.  Listen to me, Carl tells Judith--I have a way to find Dirk.  Tell Judith all about it, advises Barnabas--I'm going to investigate the cottage.  Don't take chances, warns Judith.  Barnabas exits.  Judith is annoyed Carl didn't volunteer to go with Barnabas.  I'm not leaving the house until I explain my plan, says Carl--most people don't take me seriously (with good reason, says Judith)--I haven't played a practical joke in over 48 hours, says Carl earnestly.  Glad to hear it, says his big sister.  The reason is a person, he says.  Did you bring someone terrible back from Atlantic City, like that tart you met in Albany? Asks Judith sourly. (LOL!)  Carl looks ashamed.  No one like that, he says, this person is a world famous mentalist, and highly regarded--Scotland Yard used her once.  Judith sternly says, you aren't sending for any mentalist to find Dirk!  Carl assures her, she's already here.  Judith becomes angry.  Carl says, I was on the train and saw her there, she looked so wan and pale, and I invited her to rest at Collinwood.  Judith rises from he chair and coldly asks, "Where is this person now?"  At Cousin Barnabas', says Carl.  He begs his sister to give her a chance--she'll find Dirk for you.

Old House - Barnabas returns and tells Beth, I didn't find Dirk at the cottage or anywhere.  Beth tells him Pansy is upstairs, resting from her performance.  We must go through that charade, says Barn.  Beth wonders--what if she does have powers?  Not likely, says Barnabas.  You can't be sure, Beth points out.  Carl and Judith knock at the door.  Barnabas orders Beth to get Pansy, then go to Collinwood; I'll be there after--I don't want Judith to question your presence in my house.  Barnabas answers the door.  It's absurd, pronounces Judith--why did I agree to it?  Keep an open mind, begs Carl.  I'm sorry that Carl has foisted this "mentalist" on you, Barnabas, says Judith.  It's all right, he assures her.  Pansy comes down.  Carl is delighted.  He introduces Judith to Pansy, who curtseys and says, "Pleased to make your acquaintance, I'm sure."  Judith surveys her as if she were a cockroach and suggests they begin.  Judith is really worried about this, says Carl, so we should begin.  Harshly, Pansy asks if they brought something that belonged to the missing man.  Carl brings over a chair and says I sure did--a cufflink, I think.  He hands it over to her.  That will do, she says.  She grandly asks them all to please sit--Carl, put on my music--I've got to have my music to get in the mood, she says, simpering.  "I'm sure you do," says Judith, very sarcastically.  Pansy asks Barn to turn down the lights--it would make me feel a lot better, and I'd look a lot better, she says, cackling.  Barnabas rises and does so.  Pansy says, "Worth about a quid, I'd say."  The music plays.  Carl tells Pansy go begin after Judith gives him an angry look.  Everyone sits.  Pansy concentrates.  She says, there's someone out there and I've got something of his--a pair of lovely cufflinks he needs!--a gentleman by the name of Dirk!--Dirk Wilkins!  Barnabas eyes her, nervously.  Where are you, Dirk? calls Pansy--let me know where I can find you, let me know. . .Dirk!  She suddenly passes out.  Carl says, that's never happened before, something is wrong.  In an eerie voice, Pansy says, "He is dead!  Dirk Wilkins is dead, and his murderer is in this room!"  Barnabas in particular looks quite horrified.

Carl races over to Pansy's side.  She's breathing heavily.  What do you mean? he asks--who killed Dirk?  She moans, comes to, snaps her head up and asks, what did I tell you?  You showed us you have an overactive imagination, says Judith--thank you, Miss Faye--Carl, take me home.  I don't want you to leave now, says Dirk.  Judith, annoyed, insists, I don't want to stick around listening to all this nonsense!  Carl begs, but Judith demands an apology from Pansy for all of them.  You have no right, objects Carl, to talk that way to Pansy--especially since Pansy and I are getting married.  I'm going home alone, says Judith, seething--of all the impossible things you've ever done!  Carl chases his sister from the house, begging her to listen--this is no way for us to start...

Pansy asks Barnabas, what did I do wrong?  You accused one of us of murder, he says.  Oh, that's scary, says Pansy, only not to remember--that's never happened to me before.  Barnabas asks, do you have no memory of what you said?  She shakes her head.  Think, he orders.  I can't think, insists Pansy.  Growing pouty, she asks--why did Carl leave like that?  Who told you that Dirk was dead, Barnabas asks.  A voice, she says, I don't understand it, I wish Carl hadn't asked me to perform--I'd rather sing than do the mental act, any time--I have a lovely trained voice, as Carl knows--Judith didn't like me, did she? asks Pansy.  I'll go see what I can do with him, says Barnabas.  I want to go up there and show Judith I'm not afraid of her, insists Pansy.  Stay here, advises Barnabas, I'll handle it.  She sits down and chides herself, aloud, for "mucking up that one, Pansy girl--you should just go up to that big house and tell Carl Collins. . ."  And she leaps from the chair and heads out the door.

When Barnabas arrives at Collinwood, he finds Carl and Judith arguing in the drawing room; she doesn't understand Carl being in love with a woman like that at all.  Carl vows to go on loving Pansy.  Barnabas stands listening to them.  Beth joins Barnabas and tells him Dirk isn't in the house.  Barnabas tells her, I know of a place Dirk has to be, if we get there in time, we can wait for him.  Judith and Carl continue to argue about Pansy's unsuitability as a wife for him.

Pansy is in the woods when she hears a sound.  She asks, "Who's there?" and looks grossed out.  A bat attacks her as she wails in dismay.  Barnabas and Beth are in the cemetery, standing at a gravesite.  Barnabas tells her, Dirk has found his secret sleeping place--but where is he now?

Judith berates Carl--I feel a responsibility to this family whether you do or not--that woman is not suitable--I'm more mature and wise than you are--Pansy will leave this estate tonight!--you can go with her, but you aren't getting anymore money--nor will you be allowed to come back ever again.  Carl sobs, impotently sputtering at his sister, who has already left the room.

Barnabas returns to the Old House.  He finds Pansy sitting in a chair.  Her head falls back, revealing blood dripping from two wounds in her neck.
"Oh my God!" says Barnabas.  "No!"

NOTES:  Pansy is such a hoot, I always loved her little "bum in the face" routine with Beth and Barnabas.  She was right, Dirk was dead, but she couldn't avoid being his victim nevertheless.  You get the idea Carl has brought home more than one Pansy Faye in his time, a terrible, unsuitable fortune hunter after his money (which he doesn't even have).  Kaye Frye was a delight, and all other performances, especially Karlen's, Bennett's and Frid's, absolutely riveting.

Will Pansy become a vampire, too?  Imagine, a vampire with mentalist powers!

Love, Robin