Author Topic: Robservations 1/17/03 - #772-773 - Minerva, Queen of Spades  (Read 1338 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Robservations 1/17/03 - #772-773 - Minerva, Queen of Spades
« on: January 16, 2003, 11:49:33 PM »
772 - (Clarice Blackburn) - The year is 1897.  The place is Collinwood.  The time is an hour before dawn.  A precious hour for Barnabas Collins, for Barnabas, afraid that his secret will be discovered, has turned an enemy into a vampire--a vampire who, when he is caught, will leave Barnabas free to perform his mission in the past.  But the vampire has disappeared, and Barnabas knows he must be found.

An hour before dawn. . .Barnabas is superimposed over the Old House, a pretty nifty sight.

Barnabas, frantic, notes that beside the fang marks, there is a rope around Pansy's neck (which wasn't there at the end of the previous Episode; they want us to believe she was strangled, not bitten, to death), and locks the door.  When Carl knocks, begging to talk to Pansy, Barnabas stands there, the corpse in front of him, trying to figure out how to handle this.

Barnabas hides Pansy's body in the secret room.  Carl, still calling "Barnabas!" over and over, continues knocking.  Barnabas hangs up his cloak, lets Carl in and claims not to know where Pansy is.  You must know, says Carl.  I went out to look for Dirk, claims Barn.  Carl is unhappy Pansy was left alone.  She said she'd be all right, Barn assures him.  Carl figures Pansy guessed Judith didn't like her, and wonders, what'll I do?--Judith says I'm not in love, but she's always trying to tell me how I feel--Pansy and I love each other, she's a fighter--she wouldn't just leave!--  Pansy hasn't had an easy life, she wouldn't get mad and leave because Judith left.  Barn apologizes for not being more helpful.  I don't know what to do! wails Carl, who finds Pansy's purse on the purple horror and says, she'd never leave without that.  But she isn't here, points out Barnabas, a tad desperate--perhaps the strain. . .  Carl finds money in the purse.  That means she's still in the house, insists Carl, despite what you say.  Do you thinks I'm lying? asks Barn.  "I don't know," answers Carl, confused--maybe something happened to her; maybe Dirk. . .  You must be sensible, urges Barnabas--and besides, Pansy said Dirk was dead.  Pansy wouldn't leave the purse! insists Carl.  She could have decided to go to Collinwood herself, suggests Barn--take the purse, she's probably there.  Carl suspiciously suggests, you're trying to get rid of me.  I'm just busy, says Barn.   If she isn't at Collinwood, I'm coming back here, says Carl.  Barn calmly tells him, if she isn't there, you're free to search the whole house for her--I'll be looking for Dirk--perhaps Pansy got lost in the woods and went to the cottage or the house Trask is using as a school.  I didn't think of that, says Carl--you don't think anything terrible happened to Pansy, do you?  Barn replies, whatever has happened is as much of a mystery to me as to you.  The clock strikes five AM; Barnabas encourages Carl to leave.  Barnabas opens the secret room.

Carl bothers Charity at the school with his concerns about Pansy.  She understands, but, obviously annoyed, dismisses him and tells him to have faith--you'll find her.  Thanks, he says insincerely.  Charity brings in some coffee for Tim, who's been up all night, working on Hanley's project.  So much work, he says, licking his finger, turning a page, remarking that the Latin is so archaic, it's given me a lot of. . .  He seems to sag in his chair, a weird look on his face.  "The queen of spades," he says.  Charity gives him some coffee, commenting, my mother would be furious for my bringing it in here.  "Your mother," he says, taking out the vial of nightshade.  She demands to know what it is.
Leave me alone to do what I have to do, orders Tim.  Then it sounds like he passes out on the desk as Charity looks on in horror.

Barnabas buries Pansy Faye.  Rest in peace, he tells her.  He takes the shovel and buries her (he usually has someone else to do the physical work).  The cock crows, signaling dawn, and he hurries to finish his task.

Tim writhes in his narrow bed.  When Charity comes in, he awakens with a start, rising to his feet.  I was having a nightmare, he says.  Why are you behaving so strangely? she asks.  I'll be OK once the work for Evan is completed, he says.  He must want it badly, she says, handing him a message from Evan.  Tim wants to open it later, but the messenger is awaiting an answer, says Charity, if there is one.  Written on the paper is QUEEN OF SPADES.  Reading it, Tim gets a faraway look in his eyes.  Tonight, Tim tells himself--he told me when he sent me this, I'd know when the time had come--it must happen tonight.  Tim tells Charity there's no answer to the message and returns to his Latin.  Is this the way you'll be after we're married? Asks Charity-- never talking or explaining anything to me?  Before he can answer, Minerva enters, berating Charity for allowing the school to run itself--you have a class on the Old Testament, she reminds her daughter.  Charity explains to her mother about the message from Evan to Tim.  Indeed, scoffs Minerva, Mr. Hanley--Charity, go to your class; you don't want to add to your long list of sins (if only mama knew!)  She turns her anger on Tim after Charity leaves.  "What do you want?" he demands.  What we've been paying for, answers Minerva--all you've been working on is this job for Mr. Hanley, turning down your work at the school.  Your husband got me this job, Tim reminds her.  I don't care if he did or he didn't, snaps Minerva--Trask leaves the running of the school to me, as you well know--Trask is a thinker, not a doer, I am the one.. . .  Tim orders her, leave me alone.  Did I hear you correctly? she rails--let you what?  Alone, he says succinctly--I want to finish the Latin today!  You're impertinent, she accuses--we'd be better off without you.  You'll get your wish, he says, once I finish the job for Mr. Hanley.  You won't leave without paying the debt you owes us, she warns.  Oh, yeah, says Tim--the famous debt, how shall I pay it--I never will be able to do so, will I?--no, there's no way I can do it because of yours and Trask's bookkeeping--it will never be paid up!  Are you accusing me of dishonesty? Demands Minerva.  YES, he says.  You'll be sorry, says Minerva, we should go see Trask right now--you're afraid, she says, you know what he'll say to you.  Yes, I know, Tim says sarcastically, yes, indeed, I can quote it for you line by line, but I'm busy, so if you don't mind--GET OUT and leave me to finish!  We'll see what happens, she threatens--Mr. Shaw.  Before she leaves, we see Charity listening at the door, then hurrying off.

Carl returns to the Old House, miserably calling to Pansy.  He sees the cellar door and finds it locked (well, it looks like he's about to open it, but doesn't).  He calls to Pansy and hears her humming her theme song.  Thrilled, he looks around, asking, where are you hiding?--please come out, he pleads, racing around calling to her.  The music stops.  Carl calls out, I've decided not to let Judith run my life--my grandmother gave me my own place to live, she said so in her will!--you can stay there, too--where are you?  Hearing her singing "I Wanna Dance For You" again, he says, I like jokes, too, but come on, please, don't be mad at me.  Barnabas comes in and asks if he can help Carl.  Carl begins to wildly shake Barnabas, demanding to know where his Pansy is.  Tell me now! screams Carl.

Barnabas orders Carl, to let go of me!  Not until you tell me where she is, insists Carl.  I don't know! says Barn.  I'm sure she's in the house, says Carl, I heard her singing her favorite song.  It's your imagination, says Barn.  Don't speak to me the way Judith would, says Carl--it wasn't my imagination, I heard her.  Barnabas quietly says, I understand you're upset, but you know Pansy isn't here.  You sound so sincere, as if you know where Pansy is, remarks Carl, and aren't telling me.  Carl, says Barnabas soothingly--why would I lie to you?--why would I keep her a prisoner?  I don't know, says Carl, but she couldn't just have disappeared--did I imagine her singing the song?  It would be understandable if he did, says Barnabas quietly (who seems to be dealing with Carl much the same way he dealt with Jenny).  Am I going crazy? asks Carl--I searched the cottage, went to Collinsport and the school--Pansy is just missing.  As is Dirk, says Barnabas.
I think Dirk came to the Old House and forced Pansy to go with him! suggests Carl--if he's done anything to hurt her. . .we must find Dirk, Barnabas.  Barnabas, his own urgency to find the other vampire clear in his voice, says, "I know."

Charity goes in to Minerva and tries to get out of talking to her mother by saying, I have to listen to the children's prayers.  There's time, says Minerva--what do you think of Carl Collins?  Charity, puzzled, says, I don't think of him at all.  It's time you began to, says her mother--Tim Shaw doesn't have the proper qualities of leadership and will never be the man Trask is.  Tim is very different from my father, says Charity.  Too different, says Minerva--I think you should end your engagement--I don't want to hear sentiment, or that you're in love with Tim.  Charity agrees, I do like Tim, but there is someone else--Barnabas!
Minerva hides a chuckle and tells Charity, your instincts are correct, but Barnabas is only a cousin, not one of the brothers--be practical and fall in love with Carl Collins, advises Minerva.  (are you kidding me?)  There's a knock at the door.  That's Tim, says Minerva--I will go hear the children's prayers while you break off your engagement.  Minerva sharply tells Tim, my daughter wants to speak to you, then hurries off.  Charity confesses to Tim--I'm not in love with you, I'm in love with someone else--I don't think you're in love with me, really.  Did Minerva tell you this? demands Tim, angry.  No, says Charity, she didn't.  I'll apologize to Minerva for this morning, says Tim.  This has nothing to do with that, says Charity--I can't marry you, although I like you a lot.  I still want to apologize, insists Tim.  Before Charity can answer, her mother barges in and says, your duties aren't over until you says goodnight to the children.  Charity hurries off dutifully.  "You, too," orders Minerva.  After they both leave, she sneaks out a deck of cards hidden from some books.  Tim enters while she's playing with them.  I know you play, he assures hers.  Everyone does, she says--no one is absolutely perfect, and if you've come to plead about Charity, it's useless--I never interfere with my daughter's decisions (!)  I came to apologize, says Tim.  Apologies are the devil's invention, sniffs Minerva, covering evil behavior.  She sips her tea.  I wouldn't want you to think badly of me, says Tim.  It would be a sin on my part to disregard your behavior, she says.  Trask and I have discussed the possibility of my leaving, says Tim.  Just as well, opines Minerva.  Evan Hanley has agreed to help me, says Tim, but you write the references. . .  Annoyed, she tells him, I just wanted to sit, relax and have my tea--now you've gotten me upset!  She throws down the Queen of Spades.  Tim offers to fill her cup.  That isn't necessary, says Minerva.  Tim, in a trance, insists, I want to do something for you.  As he puts drops poison in her tea, she nastily assures him small favors won't alter my opinion of you--I tried to be as fair as God will let me, but there are things I just can't forget, like that scene this morning, no matter how polite you are now. . .  After he hands her the cup of tea, she dismisses him--there is nothing further to talk about, she says.
I don't want to leave until I make sure the tea is all right, he says.  Minerva takes it and lifts the cup to her lips. . .

NOTES:  As before, this Tim killing Minerva portion of the storyline really isn't that interesting to me, although I rooted for Tim to do away with the nasty bitch, the way she was treating him, and the way she's trying to force her daughter into marriage with a man she doesn't know--but who She thinks has money.  Minerva didn't even question her daughter about her feelings for Barnabas; doesn't she wonder how they got started?  Poor Carl, losing his gold-digging Pansy this way.  Weird how they added the rope, but I guess it was so we wouldn't think she would become a vampire, too--she was bitten and strangled to death, apparently.  Barnabas is very gentle with Carl, obviously feeling guilty for being indirectly responsible for yet another innocent's death.  Will the stain of blood ever leave this poor guy?

773 - (Nancy Barrett) - It is 1897, and Collinwood lies under a strange spell.  On the grounds of a great estate in a house by the sea, a young man, controlled by the spell, watches a woman play solitaire, knowing that when he sees the Queen of Spades, he must kill her.

Minerva sips her tea as Tim stands approvingly by, watching, an enigmatic smile on his face.  Minerva finds the tea very bitter--I shouldn't have let it steep so long, she complains.  He tries to grab the cup and offers more sugar, but she chooses instead to just add hot water.  She drinks more of the tea, proclaiming it better.  Tim watches as she sips, sips, sips.  She notices him staring at her and orders, go to your room and finish your work--what are you waiting for?--what's wrong?  She stands, apparently feeling the effects of the poison.  "What's wrong with YOU?" asks Tim, gazing raptly at her.  Clutching her chest, she tells him, I have high blood pressure--Trask tells me not to get too excited.  I didn't know that, says Tim.  It's no concern of yours, says Minerva.  She feels the pain intensifying in her chest--why don't you leave? she asks, rising.   Sit down, Tim advises--I'll call a doctor.  She's afraid, uncertain of what this is.  Tim picks up the phone and calls the operator.  The light is fading for Minerva.  Our line seems to be out of order, says Tim.  It can't be, she says, I phoned Collinwood earlier and it worked--why are you just standing there, not helping me?--help me! she screams, fighting her way to the door, calling for Charity.  She grabs her chest and sinks to the floor, unconscious.
Tim grins down at her, then gazes down at the Queen of Spades on the table, and the cup. . .

Charity drinks tea in another room, demanding of Rachel, how can you fail Allison Ainsley (?) in sewing?  Rachel, a ledger book in hand, says, she hasn't finished one thing I gave her to do.  Well, says Charity, Allison, a banker's daughter, came highly recommended.  And I told her I'd fail her if she didn't finish the bonnet--and the girl chose not to, says Rachel primly.  We can't send a failing mark home, insists Charity--let's give her a D--don't sulk about it, I know that look on your face.  I want to finish the report, says Rachel.  You're in a hurry, Charity notes--do you have permission tog out this evening?--you certainly didn't waste much time, notes Charity--I knew he'd come to you first thing, but I want you to know that I broke the engagement.  I have no idea what you're talking about, says Rachel--Tim told me nothing.  He will, says Charity, and probably propose to you--I think the two of you might be able to be happy, and work out the problems you each obviously have.  (whatta bitch!)  I want to get back to the grades, says Rachel.  Charity, however, goes on, undeterred--Tim isn't ambitious enough for me--if you want to spend the rest of your life teaching at this school. . .  You have other plans? asks Rachel.  Yes, or at least Mama has, says Charity, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if my life were to change completely--imagine, having closets full of beautiful dresses, jewels. . .father wouldn't approve, but if he were living at Collinwood, he might, realizing I had to keep up a certain position--Mama would make him realize that.

Charity's mother lies in her chair, still alive, moaning.  She opens her eyes and sees Tim.  You did this to me, she accuses--why?  You played the Queen of Spades, he tells her.  "Murderer!" she calls him, finally sinking back in her chair, dead.  "I had to," he says, as if it were the most obvious thing in the world, "you played the Queen of Spades--he told me when you played the queen, it would happen."  The door opens; Evan Hanley walks in.  "Who told you, Tim?" he asks, assuring him, it's all right--I will help you--this is like an experiment; it's as if we are in a laboratory, and we must remain very clinical.  Evan checks out Minerva, taking her pulse.  He glances at Tim and says, "You did well."  Evan takes the Queen of Spades and tells Tim, look at me, straight into my eyes--I can see you're troubled by what you've done, but I am going to help you again.  Tim looks away.  Evan orders, don't take your eyes from mine. . .do you want my help, Tim?  Tim nods.  This is the Queen of Spades, he says, showing him the card, and when you carry it out, you will remember none of what has happened, you will forget all the visits you paid to my house, the talks we had, the plans we made, you will forget all about Mrs. Trask--you want that, don't you, Tim?
Tim nods.  Evan hands Tim the card, ordering him to tear it up.  Tim does so.  When Tim comes out of the trance, Evan points to Minerva and cries, "You did that, Shaw!"  Tim immediately goes to Minerva's aid and realizes she's dead.  Evan says, I heard her last words: "Murderer!"  Tim protests, I didn't do anything!  Evan orders, don't try anything.  Upset, Tim stands and says, I swear I didn't do it--I don't know why I'm in the room, or even here.  Evan picks up the phone and starts to ask for the police, but Tim wrenches the phone away from him.  The grapple.  Evan grabs what at first appears to be a stick, but turns out to be a stick hiding a sword.  Tim grabs the stick, leaving Evan waving the sword at him.  Evan thrusts, but Tim ends up slamming Evan over the head.  Tim runs out.

Tim listens at the door of the room where Rachel and Charity are talking.  The latter is telling Rachel, the grades are either too low or too high; Father won't be pleased.  Rachel says, I'll be happy to explain them to your father.  He'll insists upon it, says Charity, Father despises favoritism in any form.  She leaves the room.  Tim is hiding, and when Charity is gone, he knocks on Rachel's door, ordering he to lock it.  She does. He begs for her help.

A stunned Charity kneels before her mother's dead body (I saw Mama blink).  Evan asks her, did Tim had any motive for killing your mother?--I'm sorry, I know it's been a terrible shock--the police will be here soon, and I want to spare you as much unpleasantness as I can.  "She's not dead," murmurs Charity.  Evan assures her the police will find Tim without difficulty--he can't have gotten far.  She can't be dead, says Charity, what will Father say?--he won't let her be dead!  Your father will be grief-stricken, Evan assures her--where is he?--he should be here.
He went into Collinsport, says Charity, but I have no idea where he went.  She looks at her mother and burst into tears.  Evan tries to comfort her.  She snaps at him, "Why aren't you looking for Tim?  What can you hope to do here?"  I didn't go because I didn't have the foresight to bring a gun, says Evan--Mr. Shaw is violent, the police will deal with him.  Charity reveals to Evan that Tim is with Rachel--she'll help him, she hated Mama, and she's with him. . .Charity opens a drawer and takes out a gun.  Father keeps this, she tells Evan, handing it to him.  He asks where Rachel's room is.

Tim, pacing the room, tells Rachel, I need money.  Why would Evan come here? she wonders.  Tim kneels on the floor and asks, do you believes me?  I do, she assures him, though not convincingly.  I did hate her, Tim admits--but I felt sorry for her, having to live with that man day after day, but I didn't kill her--all I remember is standing outside, then walking in the door--I wanted only to apologize, that's all--why don't I remember anything?--people don't just lose minutes from their lives like that.  Maybe Evan killed her, suggests Rachel, and is trying to put the blame on you!  How can I prove it? asks Tim--I must get out.  Rachel objects--you aren't guilty--you've got to stay and fight.  I don't think I have a chance, Trask will be the leader of the rat pack to string me up and hang me, says Tim.  Go to that abandoned house, advises Rachel, where we went to hide the first night we ran away--right near the Collins estate. Peabody's farm, remembers Tim.  Yes, she says, go there and wait, I'll bring you as much money as I can tomorrow morning.  They'll be watching you, warns Tim--they'll think I went straight to you--be careful.  They hear someone trying to get into the room.  Evan knocks.  I know you're in there, he tells Rachel, and I hope, for your sake, alone.  Open the door immediately, he demands.  Rachel and Tim gaze at each other in fear.

Evan calls Rachel "Miss Shaw," then covers the error by saying if Shaw is in there, you can be charged as an accomplice to murder.  Tim opens the window and Rachel helps him out.  She calls to Evan, I was getting ready for bed! closes the window, and lets him in.  Evan bursts in, gun in hand.  I don't know what you' are doing here, says Rachel, startled.  Yes you do, he says, searching her closet.  She asks what happened.  Tell me, he orders, where is Tim Shaw?--did he go through the window, running through the woods?  Why would Tim be going anywhere? Asks Rachel.  Evan grabs her arm--"Don't you lie to me!"  You're hurting me, objects Rachel.  He doesn't release her, demanding, where is Tim?  I don't know, she says--you're hurting me!  You have the perfect face for it, praises Evan--those great, innocent eyes. . .tell me where he is, I knows you're lying, you're glad Mrs. Trask is dead.  This shocks Rachel.
You do THAT very well, too, says Evan--where is he?--did you and Shaw plan it together?  Tim didn't plan anything, insists Rachel, and if Mrs. Trask is dead, Tim had nothing to do with it--what are you doing here, she asks--you aren't a friend of anyone here.  What are you implying? Asks Evan.  I don't know, she replies, it's just strange you're here.  I came for the translation I commissioned Tim to do, he says--where is he?  He grabs her arms and forces her to look into his eyes.  I don't want to, let me go! she wails--I don't know where Tim is!  You do! he insists.  He tosses her around a bit, then grabs her around the throat.  She continues to bleat that she doesn't know where Tim is, or what's happened--let me alone, she cries.  Evan leans in close and says, you're lying to me--shall I get rough with you--I can, you know--or would you prefer to wait until after you've lied to the police? presses Evan--would you prefer Rev. Trask and I to question you THEN?  (He's good, isn't he, very menacing?)  He releases her, but takes the key to her room.  Don't worry, he assures her--you won't be alone.  He locks her in.  All Rachel can do is mumble, helplessly, "Tim!"

Tim opens a cellar door built into the ground and climbs down, terrified.  There is evidence of recent occupancy--a red candle, which Tim lights.  He takes it and begins to look around the dank, dark, creepy cellar.  Finding a coffin, he sets the candle down on it.  He pulls over a box, then, while the rest of us may have thought better of it, opens up the coffin to behold. . .?

NOTES:  There was something very seductive in the scene between Evan and Rachel.  His voice was really sexy, coaxing, as if he were offering her seduction, instead of threatening her.  You wondered if he was going to either beat her or rape her, the way he was behaving, but he simply threatened her and left her alone.

What is going to happen to Tim?  Will he be caught and tried for murder?  Did you think Evan was going to wipe his memory clean, then accuse him of murdering Minerva?  I was surprised!  What vampire is resting here--has Tim inadvertently found Dirk's hiding place?

I'm not sorry Minerva is dead, she was a nasty, manipulative bitch!

Love, Robin

Offline tripwire

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Robservations 1/17/03 - #772-773 - Minerva, Queen of Spades
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2003, 03:08:55 PM »
i was going to comment on the rope being around pansy fayes neck on the replay of the end of the previous show, but you did it... I think you hit it on the head when you mentioned "would pansy become a vampire also" the writers must have realized that she could be a potential vampire, so in a last minute change, put a rope around her neck to make it look like strangulation, but it looks like there is also blood dropping from her neck along with the rope...lol  what gives, what she strangled and bit?? to a first time viewer, could be very confusing i imagine.  
its a sudden death that i know, my father wrote me to say that, my cousin, uncle jeremiah was, was very disturbed.