Author Topic: OT: American Horror Story: new, prime time scary soap  (Read 3547 times)

David

OT: American Horror Story: new, prime time scary soap
« on: September 25, 2011, 06:46:28 AM »
On Wed, Oct 5, the FX Network will premiere American Horror Story, a new, prime time serialized drama with Jessica Lange and Dylan McDermott.
It sounds like it's gonna be seriously spooky: the premise is about a family who moves into an old Hollywood mansion that turns out to be haunted.

Another DS wannabe.
Should be fun!

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: OT: American Horror Story: new, prime time scary soap
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 01:25:49 AM »
Hi  David  it  sounds  very  interesting  cool!! 
                Love  Anne [ghost_smiley]
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 12:45:03 PM »
Sounds good.  I haven't been paying much attention to the new shows this year so, looks like I found out just in time!  Thanks for the heads up!
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 04:11:10 PM »
A word of warning: I've been reading a lot of articles that say the show pushes the boundaries of sex/nudity for basic cable. So if you're put off by such things...

On the other hand, some articles say that Dylan McDermott will be giving True Blood's Ryan Kwanten a run for his money when it comes to what McDermott's character will be doing on screen. That, of course, could be a recommendation for the series to some.  [hall2_wink]

David

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 04:25:24 PM »
 [candle_in_skull_2]

As much as I'd love to see Dylan naked, FX is a basic cable service, so I doubt it'll go as far as HBO. [hall2_grin]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 04:38:59 PM »
I'm just passing along what I've read. It'll certainly be interesting to see how much the show matches the hype.  [hall2_wink]

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 04:46:18 PM »
Dylan nakies AND a houseful of ghosts?  It would appear that it's going to be quite an interesting smorgasbord.  [hall2_wink]

“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Robot_Quentin

• Senior Poster
  • Born during episode #566...... For Real!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 07:57:03 PM »
As much as I'd love to see Dylan naked, FX is a basic cable service, so I doubt it'll go as far as HBO. [hall2_grin]

You'd be surprised what FX puts on after the disclaimer of adult content. You would've thought you were watching HBO if tuning into Nip/Tuck! Nudity and sex on most episodes of that... Probably only a few notches below what HBO might show.

The trailers for that new show do look intriguing for sure. Reminded me I'd forgotten about that American Gothic show from CBS about 10 years ago.
Robot_Quentin: "I've never watched the last episode, so the show never ended for me."

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 11:15:11 PM »
I plan to watch this as well, and I'm really looking forward to it!  I watch a couple of shows on FX, Justified and Sons of Anarchy, and I can confirm that they do show sex and violence-- much more than is usually seen on network TV.  I'm trying to think of instances of actual nudity, and that is probably rare, other than maybe a bare tush now and then, at least for the two shows I mention.  But the language is definitely R rated- F-bombs and S-bombs and the like are common and uncensored.  So any who may be upset by these things may want to heed MB's warning. (Luckily for me, I have a potty mouth, so I'm fine  [hall2_grin]  )

ETA- Robot Quentin, I was a huge fan of the old American Gothic series, as well!

David

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 03:32:09 AM »
 [candle_in_skull]

American Horror Story is creepy as hell, and the lead actors are adults!
YOWSA!

David

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 03:41:34 AM »
You were right, MB, Dylan appeared fully nude, wanking his you know what right out of camera range! (gasp....)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 04:10:28 AM »
I wasn't right - the articles I read were right. I haven't watched the ep yet.  [hall2_wink]

David

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 05:16:56 AM »
He has a nice tush! DS was never like this!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 12:59:59 PM »
The show is a bit uneven, but it has enough promising elements that I'm going to keep watching, at least for now.

Brief ON-topic point- I was checking out Entertainment Weekly to see if they had a recap or review of it, and they did.  In it, there was a point by one of the show's creators that I thought was kind of cool, regarding of the character of the housekeeper:  "That is definitely something that they would have and should have done on Dark Shadows but they didn’t — to have two actresses play one character."  He must be a fan!

The article:
http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/10/05/american-horror-story-ryan-murphy-exclusive/

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2011, 04:33:11 PM »
Ryan Murphy definitely watched DS. He mentioned that as part of his American Horror Story presentation for the Television Critics Association back in August.  [hall2_smiley]

Also, I keep forgetting to say that I was a big fan of American Gothic, too.