Author Topic: OT: American Horror Story: new, prime time scary soap  (Read 3545 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: OT: American Horror Story: new, prime time scary soap
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2011, 12:28:33 AM »
I finished watching it about fifteen minutes ago. It's certainly different, but I definitely like it. I'm very intrigued to see where it goes.

One thing that will be interesting will be to see how the ratings play out. Last night's show did very well for FX - between the original and encore showings it attracted over 5 million viewers - and that's not counting how many people like me DVR'd it but didn't watch it until tonight. And FX Networks' President John Landgraf said today that he was "thrilled," adding: "We're equally thrilled by the response to last night's episode on social media, which was unanimously positive and demonstrated that the audience loved the show as much as we do." Right now it's looking like FX has a hit on their hands.

Also, check out: American Horror Story: Connie Britton Answers the Premiere's Burning Questions!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2011, 01:13:46 AM »
Ryan Murphy definitely watched DS. He mentioned that as part of his American Horror Story presentation for the Television Critics Association back in August.  [hall2_smiley]

Ah, that's great and it makes sense then that he'd mention the show.   But I also thought his comment was very interesting-- that maybe if DS had been on for longer, the concept of having 2 different people playing one role, as how they are perceived differently by the other various characters, is definitely an idea that would've fit right in with DS.

Edited to add- I'm so glad that AHS got great ratings last night!  Hopefully this bodes well for the future of the show and for interest in the horror genre!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2011, 04:59:54 PM »
I also thought his comment was very interesting-- that maybe if DS had been on for longer, the concept of having 2 different people playing one role, as how they are perceived differently by the other various characters, is definitely an idea that would've fit right in with DS.

Definitely. And it might have even been easier for some in the audience to understand than the Petofi mind switch where David Selby and Thayer David switched characters. At least the two actors would be playing the same character. (Though I can honestly say I never had a problem understanding the mind switch storyline.)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2011, 05:54:05 PM »
Check out: Top Moments: ... and a Pleasurable Horror Story

American Horror Story ranks #2 for the week in TV Guide's Top Moments as "The Ultimate Guilty Pleasure Award:". And I love how they sum it up with "We wish we could tell you that was the weirdest part of this show so far, but we'd be lying." And, of course, if you've watched the show, you know what type of "pleasure" they're referring to.  [hall2_grin]

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2011, 11:14:37 PM »
I just finally found time to watch this earlier today, and I was very impressed, though I knew I would be! Ryan Murphy is easily one of my favorite television writer/creators, so I knew I would be tuning in when I found out this was a production of his.

I agree with Gothick about some parts of it being a little uneven, however it is smartly written and edited so if you aren't paying attention you're going to begin to wonder why some characters are in certain places when two seconds before they were somewhere else. I like that it's not dumbed down for the audience, i.e. following a character through the hallway into another room where they talk to another character. Instead they cut straight to this next conversation. And the editing is somewhat jumpy, which might cause some confusion.

The only real gripe I have about anything in the show is Connie Britton. I LOVED her in Friday Night Lights, and genuinely think she is a good actress, but I thought the fight between her character and McDermott's character was dramatic and engaging, but Britton just didn't quite pull it off for me. She fell somewhat flat with her performance.

Otherwise, I'm intrigued to find out who the Rubber Man is, and just what the deal is with that Maid!
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2011, 12:20:34 AM »
More DS comments from Ryan Murphy and how he's sort of patterned AHS after DS:

'All scare, all the time' is aim of gothic thriller

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2011, 09:06:44 PM »
'American Horror Story' earns a second season on FX

It will be interesting to see how the second season will look. Entertainment Weekly had a cover story on the show a couple weeks back that said the initial plan, should the show get a second season, was for the house to kill a new set of characters each season. Jessica Lange, for example, has only signed for one season (so far, anyway). And Ryan Murphy has said that it's definite that all the current characters will not make it alive to the end of season one. But Murphy also said in the article that probably some of the current cast will return. And Brad Falchuk pointed out that any one of the characters that gets killed off could easily become a future ghostly demon. So, I suppose we'll see. But any way things turn out, I'm certainly enjoying the ride so far.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2011, 09:30:39 PM »
Oh my gosh, I so hope Jessica stays!!  She's the best part of the show!  She's hilarious, and in last week's episode she had a wonderful dramatic scene, as well.  The show is very cheesy and over the top, but so far it's been very entertaining.  I'd love the idea of some of these folks coming back as ghosts in season 2.  Should be fun!

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2011, 07:20:39 AM »
From the AMERICAN HORROR STORY Wikipedia entry: "The dark tone of the series is mirrored after the ABC soap opera Dark Shadows, which Murphy’s grandmother forced him to watch when he was younger to toughen him up."
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2011, 11:49:55 PM »
Another article reflecting that RM's American Horror Story was inspired in part by Dark Shadows.
http://www.studiodaily.com/main/news/headlines/The-Old-Dark-House-Creating-the-Visuals-for-American-Horror-Story_13593.html I still haven't seen that show yet!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2011, 12:05:26 AM »
I still haven't seen that show yet!

It's one wild ride, let me tell you!  [santa_thumb]  And I can't wait for the season finale tomorrow night.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2011, 12:10:13 AM »
It sounds like a great show. I need to catch up.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2011, 06:49:44 PM »
Very interesting: The American Horror Story Finale: Ryan Murphy Tells Us Who's Coming Back for Season 2
(And given what will happen next season, DS is rightly referenced in one of the comments because Murphy is taking yet another page from how things were done on DS.)

Though, if you've read the Entertainment Weekly cover story from a few months back, not much about what Murphy says should come as a surprise because in it he'd already said what their thinking for season 2 is...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2011, 06:15:47 PM »
Another article. I haven't read the most recent posts because I would like to see it from the beginning.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2011/12/27/entertainment/e041244S85.DTL