Author Topic: Slow board last night?  (Read 2699 times)

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Slow board last night?
« on: November 14, 2002, 12:24:57 PM »
Was it just me or was the board super slow last night? It took me forever to get on and when I finally did,  reading and answering posts were at an all time crawl. I'll be suprised if even this post actually shows up.

At first I thought it was AOL but I tried the same thing with IE and had no luck there either.
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Slow board last night?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2002, 12:41:19 PM »
It wasn't just you, Cassandra, because both Midnite and Dom mentioned the same thing to me. Strangely, though, I haven't been having any slowness problems, so it's not likely that the slowness was (is?) at the server level. I'm guessing it has more to do with the throughput along some members' paths. There must have been (be?) a bottleneck somewhere along the way...

But as you can see from this chart that I just had PingPlotter generate for me, there's no bottleneck along my path.

Connie

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2002, 01:05:38 PM »
I don't know if this will post, but I can't really get on here either - tried everything.  When I DO finally get a page, which literally takes minutes, it never totally finishes loading.  The blue bar at the bottom of browser never completes and goes away.  

This message editor page hasn't fully loaded -- blue bar has stopped about 1/3 of the way through.

-CLC

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2002, 01:41:27 PM »
MB, thanks for trying to explain it to me but I haven't the foggiest idea what a  "bottleneck" is.  

I finally figured out what you meant by Pingplotter because the graph that you posted took forever to load on to the page and only half of it is visible to me.  
Now Im even more in the dark.
"Calamity Jane"

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2002, 04:48:33 PM »
    I don't know if this will post.  It is 8:48 Eastern Time.  I can't get much to open.  I get a "gateway timeout" message.  Pages take several minutes to open.  I will try again later.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Connie

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2002, 05:29:16 PM »
But as you can see from this chart that I just had PingPlotter generate for me, there's no bottleneck along my path.

It just took me approximately 10 minutes to get to this thread.  Can't see PingPlotter chart - about 1/8th of an inch of it loaded.
Here's MY "PingPlotter" chart:

Criseyde's Selby Site        2 sec - access   24 sec - loaded
------

www.MusicaViva.info       2 sec - access   10 sec - loaded
----

groups.yahoo.com           3 sec - access     6 sec - loaded
--

dsboards.com                         2 min - access     3 min 22 sec - loaded
------------------------------------------------------------[/color][/size]

LOL.  I really don't have time for this.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2002, 07:02:05 PM »
Still slow here.

It seems the last bit of the loading bar has the hardest time loading. Images won't load or will only partially load. I got the image in MB's post above to fully load by clicking the stop icon in the browser and then hitting the refresh button.

I have DSL so I think my load time is faster than some of the load times I am reading here, but it is still way slow.

Can we blame this on sun spots? ;)

Dom

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2002, 07:05:57 PM »
Well, what do you know. It's now working normal again. Not two seconds after my last post.

Hooray!

Dom

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2002, 07:13:14 PM »
Whew!  I was still having problems this morning up until a few minutes ago.

Connie, the bottleneck most likely only affected your route to dsboards.  I was able to surf to other sites without any problem as well.

Thanks for your patience, everyone!

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2002, 07:44:53 PM »
    The board is still not working for me.  I get "504 gateway timeout" whether I attempt to logout or open a message.  I was lucky to get here.  I hope this posts.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Minja

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2002, 08:21:11 PM »
It's still very slow for me.  A little while ago, I gave it 10 minutes and only part of the forums opening page came up.  So I hit refreash and it took 3 minutes for the whole thing to come up.  When coming here it was real slow too.   Is this something that will correct itself or is there something I need to do?

Always, Minja

Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.
-From the song "For Good" from "Wicked"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2002, 08:30:26 PM »
Well, at least I was able to finish reading the board before the problem returned.

Cassandra, the following link will take you to a definition of a bottleneck in case you're interested.  The 1st and 3rd paragraph apply to this situation; this is a problem affecting a network, and not all our visitors are experiencing it.

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/B/bottleneck.html

I'm sorry to say there's nothing that can be done on this end until the congestion along the route is resolved.  Once again, thanks for your patience.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2002, 09:19:48 PM »
Evidently I'm stuck in the same traffic jam :-[

rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2002, 10:23:51 PM »
BTW,  How do you delete something after you've posted it?  I tried to do this with the "modify" button,  but that only lets you change your own posts, not delete them out completely.
 After last night, I could imagine how many of my half incomplete posts were floating around out there.
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2002, 10:35:49 PM »

Cassandra, the following link will take you to a definition of a bottleneck in case you're interested.  The 1st and 3rd paragraph apply to this situation; this is a problem affecting a network, and not all our visitors are experiencing it.

Great, thanks Midnite. The board seems to be working okay now but I still want to keep the link just in case....

Also, they give you a few ideas on how to beat this problem so this helps alot,  thanks!

Dom Wrote:

I have DSL so I think my load time is faster than some of the load times I am reading here, but it is still way slow.

I have DSL also Dom and just like you I noticed that the last page took the longest to load.

Posting took the longest for me.   After I hit the "post" button I would get up and clean a few rooms in the house, then come back and see the page just starting to turn!   What a way to do housework, lol!
"Calamity Jane"