Author Topic: TLTKLS question  (Read 3671 times)

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
Re: TLTKLS question
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2002, 09:46:54 PM »
i think having to hang out with Gregory ruined
Rachel (i believe he "seduced" her and that would ruin anyone ICK!)also hate PT maggie! i'm used to myself and while i never was a SYT either see them now at the playground  and realize they aren't any happier than
those of us that weren't up there on those pedestals!

jennifer
also Minja can't remember my WYT days but some people tell me i had them!

let's face it barnabas had more than on affliction!
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2002, 10:52:18 PM »
    I always wished Barnabas would have married Lady Kitty.  I think he saw Josette but reality would have hit home the first few times he heard "Not tonight, I have a headache".
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2002, 11:29:15 PM »
Rachel doesn't get on my nerves as much as PT Maggie Evans did.  The real problem with Maggie and Quentin in that storyline is that the hero and heroine are such dreadful characters that you are rooting for the baddies to win.

When I think of characters like Rachel Drummond, I'm reminded of a line that Oscar Wilde had about one of the original soap opera heroines of literature:  "one would have to have a heart of stone to weep at the death of Little Nell."  Maybe that's an overly subtle way of stating that people who fall for fake sentimentality of this sort can be guaranteed to lack the capapcity to act with compassion when faced with victims of violence in the real world.

KLS isn't my favorite on the series by a long shot, but I do think she was a competent actress who also had sufficient warmth of presence to explain why the characters, male or female as the case may be, took an interest in her.  On Monday I watched an episode where Maggie had escaped from Barnabas only to be recaptured by him and subjected to a horrifying punishment in the Mauseoleum.  She played a wide range of emotions with understated, persuasive ability in this show (and had wonderful onscreen chem with Johnny Karlen in their scene together, too).  

Just some thoughts...

Gothick

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2002, 01:18:58 AM »
Rachel reminds me of a child who refuses to listen to it's parents. She is just plain nosy, going into things that are not her business. And worse yet, she get caught. Most people would stop after being caught, but not Rachel. At least when Vicki was doing sort of the same thing at the very beginning of the series, what she was looking for involved her and people she at the time barely knew.

I like Kathryn Leigh Scott in the other two roles I've seen her in - Maggie Evans and Josette duPres. I am especially looking forward to the character of Lady Kitty.

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2002, 05:18:07 AM »
M
What's the mystery here?
For some men, younger, more beautiful and STUPID is the perfect hat trick.

Amen, to THAT sister! And not being stupid, it has always driven me crazy.

Yes, Minja, I was a WYT also. And like Carolyn, it just didn't go over all that great. Though at least I didn't marry a Leviathan brat..., or did I?

I do want to reiterate that I was talking about the characters and not KLS herself. I really liked early Maggie a lot, and I'm sure KLS is great. Isn't it interesting though, that NONE of the guys here EVER fantasize about Carolyn or even Angelique? And they are simply beautiful, just not innocent.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2002, 12:08:29 PM »
Raineypark Wrote:

For some men, younger, more beautiful and STUPID is the perfect hat trick.

That's true,  until they marry them and live with them for awhile.  As soon as they find out they can't cook, clean, etc, and realize how helpless they are, they quickly tire of them and look elsewhere.  

I think the only reason why Barnabas is so crazy about Rachel is just like what others have mentioned here, because she's just a Josette look alike and nothing more for him.  Rachel could have been an evil witch for all he cared but as long as she looked like his beloved Josette, that's fine for him.

Im not too crazy about Rachel either and I really don't think she's as helpless & innocent as she would like others to believe she is.  The very first minute she arrived with Edward at the train station she was already asking him all kinds of nosy questions about "Mrs.Collins" and could clearly see how uncomfortable Edward was with her questions.   Right then and there, that should have been the end of it. Instead, she enters Collinwood all wide eyed as if she can't wait to go exploring the place from top to bottom. She snoops around all hours of the day and night and just won't take NO for an answer.

If she was truly as helpless as she would like Barnabas to believe then she wouldn't have stolen that key from the Pantry and gone up to a strange dark room all by herself just to investigate.  She's just plain nosy & sneaky and seems to do anything to be the center of attention. It's obvious that she loves all the attention that Barnabas is giving her and couldn't care less what anyone else in that household has to say to her.

I really liked Lady Kitty because her character was so different from the others that KLS portrayed.  IMO, Maggie, Josette & Rachel were all so similiar but as Lady Kitty, KLS really shone as we got to see a completely different character altogether.  I really thought that this was KLS's best role on the show. :-)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2002, 12:41:26 AM »
NONE of the guys here EVER fantasize about Carolyn

Not totally true, Illya!!

Oh, OK, I admit, Carolyn is a babe, too - but for me she is the kind I would take home once [maybe more than just once....]  But TLATKLS, I wanna take home and KEEP!

[jester]
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2008, 06:16:55 AM »
I love KLS!! I am not a big fan of her characters though.  I did like early Maggie until she became the "I don't understand" DS girl when Victoria was gone.  I would say that my other favorite was Lady Kitty Hampshire.  I really loved her character and my only complaint was that she didn't use a stronger English accent.  She seemed to go in and out of it.  Maybe this was what the producers wanted.  Josette and Angelique spoke a bit of french and then it was dropped.  KLS (as Josette) sounded American and LP sounded British.  I figure the later was the best way for her to get rid of her southern accent.  I am from the Kentucky so I know how hard it is to break that accent.  I quit trying to lose my southern accent because I have had more people compliment the accent than degrade  it.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/