Author Topic: TLTKLS question  (Read 3673 times)

Offline kuanyin

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
TLTKLS question
« on: November 13, 2002, 02:28:54 AM »
We all know that several guys here are convinced  that KLS, is the greatest SWT ever. (Great to see you back Ringo!) How do you women feel about her?

I have to admit, that I am becoming aware of really disliking her characters. It isn't so much that I dislike Rachel, though, OK, I do despise stupid wide eyed twits. But what I really dislike is men's reaction to her!!! Yes, I'm jealous and I'm mystified about her appeal and I always have been. When I was a YT, I used to look at the SYTs and wonder how they did it. And that's just it, they don't DO anything, they just are and men drool over them. I used to think what am I, chopped liver? (And now that I am no longer even Y, I know that, yes, I am chopped liver.)

So, am I the ONLY awful person with such feelings? [vryevl]
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: TLTKLS question
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2002, 04:06:42 AM »

No, I'm right there with you. I hate PT Maggie nearly as much as Rachel. Idiots, the both of them.

I suspect that the rationale for Barnabas and Quentin liking Rachel is simple. All Barnabas needs is the resemblance to Josette and Quentin is a serial philanderer.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Linda

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Virtual Series
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2002, 04:18:03 AM »
We all know that several guys here are convinced  that KLS, is the greatest SWT ever. (Great to see you back Ringo!) How do you women feel about her?

She did well enough with what they gave her to work with...she seldom, if ever, fluffed a line.  She had to make do with insipid dialogue eight days out of ten, but that isn't her fault.

I did really enjoy her as Lady Kitty Hampshire, and I also liked her as Maggie, from the early episodes up through the Barnabas kidnapping...she had some especially good performances in that storyline.  

I hated the PT Maggie and Rachel Drummond characters.

Cheers,

Linda

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2002, 06:12:27 AM »
 I have always enjoyed KLS's performance in all her characters, she always did her best with them all, each was differently presented...

Although  I prefer  Maggie, I will miss her, she and Joe did at long last reside in the same place... "WindCliff".. oh my. :o
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2002, 06:19:14 AM »
I have to admitt I really like KLS.  Of course, she was everything I wasn't as a SYT.  I would have loved to look like her, but hey, it is not in the genes.
The charator of Rachael drives me nuts.  Way to sickly sweet and just plain Dumb!  Her other charactors don't bother me.  I like Maggie.  Always have guess always will.  Lady Kitty was a hoot.  I saw KLS in a made for TV movie where she was able to play a charactor more like Kitty and she did a great job.

I feel like I should hate her because she still looks fantastic.  Than again I am still in denial that I am 45.  I feel young and old at the same time.  Hate, Hate, Hate, that I am the oldest one at the place where I work.  How did I get off the topic.  KLS is a truly gracious person and I still want to be her when I grow up.  Of  course that would take major plastic surgury.lol

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Minja

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2002, 06:52:36 AM »
Kuanyin said....
And now that I am no longer even Y, I know that, yes, I am chopped liver.)

You are not pate'! [smash] for running yourself down!
[shadow=purple,left,300]
Always, Minja [vryevl]
[/shadow]
[/size]
Who admits to having once been a WYT (wicked young thing)......(I heard that Mark!)
Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.
-From the song "For Good" from "Wicked"

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2002, 03:56:03 PM »
What I admire about KLS is her gumption. I want to know how a SYT left the midwest to go to big, bad NYC without a second thought. I was still living at home in my early 20's and was having a terrible time deciding if I should leave home to go to nursing school. I admire women like KLS who have the desire to be someone and won't let anyone or anything stop them. She's had several different exciting careers and still seems to be untouched by fame and glory.
It's taken a long time for some of us to develop inner strength so that looks don't matter. Keep telling yourself that you ARE special--that there is no one else like you--and they take you as you are or not at all.
Don't run yourself down--PLEASE! I remember those days all too well and prefer my "I am Woman, Hear me Roar" attitude.

The One-eyed, Unhip Mom
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2002, 06:52:28 PM »
Have to admit that Rachel and PT Maggie aren't my favorite characters, either. But I think that KLS is a terrific actress hampered by characters that are written as victims.

It just occurred to me while watching yesterday's eps that KLS offers us a glimpse into some of Rachel Drummond's inner life.  Things that she said and her body language communicate that Rachel is insecure and has low self esteem.  When trouble approaches, her instinct is to run away from it.  She isn't strong and she's been hurt a lot by life.  Playing Rachel, KLS displays no confidence in herself and seems cowed - she doesn't hold her head high, and mostly avoids eye contact. She's quite a different woman to Lady Kitty Hampshire (who is one of KLS's more interesting characters).

As for her appeal to men, if you look like KLS and appear helpless, you've got them eating out of your hand (which Lady Kitty knew). The last thing most Victorian men wanted was too much of a challenge. I used to think that even men today were like that, until I met my husband.

So no, kyuanyin, you aren't the only one with such feelings, and I'm sure you ain't chopped liver, either! ;)
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Nancy

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2002, 07:15:31 PM »

I have to admit, that I am becoming aware of really disliking her characters. It isn't so much that I dislike Rachel, though, OK, I do despise stupid wide eyed twits. But what I really dislike is men's reaction to her!!! Yes, I'm jealous and I'm mystified about her appeal and I always have been. When I was a YT, I used to look at the SYTs and wonder how they did it. And that's just it, they don't DO anything, they just are and men drool over them. I used to think what am I, chopped liver? (And now that I am no longer even Y, I know that, yes, I am chopped liver.)

LOL, I don't think you're awful at all.

My favorite part of the show was from the introduction of Barnabas through 1795 so I keenly remember KLS' contribution.  I thought Josette was written badly but KLS did fine with the role and the kidnapping story was well performed by KLS.  It was her first professional gig, IIRC, and she had little or no TV experience.  That medium requires a certain technical savvy not all actors have (obviously) but she did and learned quickly.  TV and film requires a certain ability to be something like a circus animal (no offense!): memorize a ton of dialogue quickly and perfectly, stand or move a certain way even it if is unnatural, pretend you are talking to someone when you aren't, etc. KLS was able to do that and much to her credit considering her lack of real experience.

I also tend to think many soap characters are written to be deliberately stupid or helpless because those traits generate many scenarios and interactions with other characters.   It's hard to relate to a character like Maggie Evans for me.  I moved out of the family home at the age of 18 and went to Europe by myself at the age of 21. (No one else had the money to go with me so I went myself)  I moved to New York City without really knowing anybody so I can't relate much to someone like Maggie.  I also can't look at her in the same way that a man would so I can't really judge her appeal.  Most of the men that I know or have been involved with do not care for helpless or clueless women beyond simple flirtation or some long distance admiration.  In reality they would not really be involved with someone like that.  That's my take it on anyway.

Nancy

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2002, 07:21:06 PM »
DS started when I was in 5th grade and ran until my sophomore year.  During that formative time in my life I can remember thinking that KLS was one of the prettiest actresses on TV.  So, of course I wanted to look and be like her!  Her main characters - or what I considered to be her main characters (Maggie and Josette) - were typical heroine types so she naturally came off as very likeable and kind as well as pretty - someone who would be your best friend and who you wouldn't "hate because she was beautiful".  As an adult I still think she's very pretty - as she looked back then and as she does now - and she still comes across as very likeable and kind (on DS and at the festivals as well).  Funny thing though, I no longer really want to look like her - or anybody else for that matter.  Not that I don't (usually [heh] ) try to look the best I can but, I guess I've just made peace with myself with a lot of issues I can't do anything about and feel comfortable enough in my own skin now to say to the world something I never would have said in my youth - here I am - take it or leave it! [peace]
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2002, 07:35:21 PM »
What's the mystery here?

Men have gravitated towards younger, more beautiful women since our ancestors crawled up out of the ooze.

For some men, younger, more beautiful and STUPID is the perfect hat trick.

Julia broke Barnabas' shoes on a regular basis...she argued and questioned and verbally fenced with him almost constantly.  Maggie Evans smiled and simpered and made doe eyes at him.  This isn't even a contest.

Julia could have been the perfect blend of Marie Curie and Mother Theresa and Maggie STILL would have won hands down, because she was the reincarnation of beautiful, empty-headed, fashionable, doll-like Josette , the woman of Barnabas' dreams

The only smart, savey, crafty, conniving, powerful, ingenious, ruthless Sexy Young Thing, on the other hand, isn't allowed to be a normal human woman.  No....THAT one has to be a WITCH! ::)

rainey

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2002, 07:55:28 PM »
It just occurred to me while watching yesterday's eps that KLS offers us a glimpse into some of Rachel Drummond's inner life.  Things that she said and little her body language communicate that Rachel is insecure and has low self esteem.  When trouble approaches, her instinct is to run away from it.

See I don't get that vibe. Her instinct so far has been to run smack dab straight at the trouble. Her employers give her every sort of implied direction that they want her to a)stop asking questions; b)stay to the public rooms of the house and c)mind her own business.  She goes against every one of them. They then tell her directly and she still does the same.

She isn't strong and she's been hurt a lot by life.  Playing Rachel, KLS displays no confidence in herself and seems cowed - she doesn't hold her head high, and mostly avoids eye contact.

I would agree with that, but I think I'd take it a step further and argue that Rachel subconsciously seeks out sabotages herself. Which would go into the low esteem: I don't deserve this situation, so I will muck it up.

I also (and I know this won't make me very popular) think that Rachel has a very definite sneaky streak to her character :)

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2002, 08:08:18 PM »
[wavey] Hello all i've liked KLS as well but i'll do
like Alexandra Moltke the  best.   She was a tough!
                Love Anne

(  Anne who is waiting for next August to come so
she still has time to rehearse what she'll say to The
Q-man) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  YUMMY!!!!!!!!!
               Love Anne
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2002, 08:40:38 PM »
Interesting Thread, ladies!

Several points are on the nose, like the 'temporary' nature of an attraction to a SYT [characters], and the admiring the gumption [sp?] of the actor/real person.  I believe it was a quote about Selby 'reading the phone book' that applies to my perspective! [at least as a teenager, on the orig run!!]  But 30 years on, and concentrating on just the characters, I like Maggie, but I LOVE Lady H.

Here Kitty, Kitty, Kitty......
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2002, 09:26:07 PM »

I also (and I know this won't make me very popular) think that Rachel has a very definite sneaky streak to her character :)

Well, it may not make me popular either, but I agree with you on this one.  Was also wondering yesterday what would've happened if they'd taken the Rachel character in a different direction.  Considering that she had some bad stuff in her past, it would've been interesting if they explored a darker side to her. And I think KLS would've been equal to the task.
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.