Author Topic: ShadowGram Update #243  (Read 2103 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
ShadowGram Update #243
« on: July 24, 2011, 06:58:10 AM »
SHADOWGRAM

http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/ShadowGram/

ShadowGram@aol.com

Number 243 July 23, 2011

Hello, Dark Shadows Fan,

ShadowGram (SG), The Official Newsletter & News Source for Dark Shadows (DS), announces the following breaking news in this Online DS News Update "bulletin."

--- NEW DS MOVIE UPDATE: CAMEO APPEARANCES FILMED

--- REPORTING: DS AT COMIC CON INTERNATIONAL IN SAN DIEGO

--- UPDATE: DS FESTIVAL - DS' 45TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION -
ANNOUNCING: NEW GUEST & MEMBERSHIP RATES INFO

**** ORIGINAL DS ACTORS IN CAMEO APPEARANCES

SG reports that Jonathan Frid, Lara Parker, David Selby, and Kathryn Leigh Scott flew to England in late June to film brief cameos in the new DS motion picture. They inform SG that it was a wonderful experience and that the movie cast and crew were extremely enthusiastic and gracious. They spent 3 days at Pinewood Studios, where filming began in May and continues into the fall.

In the original 1966-71 DS, Jonathan is best-known as Barnabas; Lara as Angelique; David as Quentin; and Kathryn as Maggie and Josette.

Each SG has steadily reported about the project since it was first publicly announced 4 years ago this week. The movie stars Johnny Depp as Barnabas and is directed by Tim Burton. Both are DS fans since childhood.

Lara tells SG: "We were treated like royalty." Johnny and Tim "couldn't have been more gracious, and when Johnny met Jonathan, he said, `We wouldn't be here if not for you.'"

While on the set, the 4 also met several movie cast members, among them Helena Bonham-Carter (Dr. Julia Hoffman) and Michelle Pfeiffer (Elizabeth Collins Stoddard), who have been watching the original DS episodes on DVD and now "they are totally hooked!" They also met Eva Green (Angelique – originated by Lara); Bella Heathcoate (Victoria Winters); Chloe Moretz (Carolyn Stoddard); and Gulliver McGrath (David Collins).

SG previously reported Danny Elfman is scoring the movie and Robert Cobert's classic "Dark Shadows Theme" would possibly be incorporated. SG now updates that Bob's memorable Theme will be part of the soundtrack.

No further information is available at this time. The upcoming SG #121 and future SG issues, as well as these SG Online Updates, will have more confirmed information as it is available.

Also see recent SG Updates and SG #119-#120 for more casting and filming details.

**** DS AT COMIC CON INTERNATIONAL

SG Update #242 announced that LARA PARKER and KATHRYN LEIGH SCOTT would appear at Comic Con International in San Diego. They were there yesterday, Fri., 7- 22.

They visited with fans and signed autographs at the Hermes Press booth in the afternoon, followed by a DS Panel Talk from 6:00-7:00.

Lara tells SG there was a great turnout of fans at the booth and lots of "good questions" at the talk. Lara autographed copies of her DS novel "The Salem Branch" and Kathryn had her new novel "Dark Passages." They also signed Hermes' debuting re-issued volume of the "Dark Shadows Digest" and Hermes' first 2 hardbound volumes of the 1960s-70s Gold Key DS comic books.

At the panel, Kathryn and Lara both spoke in general about the new DS movie and how they, Jonathan, and David were in England to shoot their cameos. They emphasized they could not reveal any details, though the film will reflect Johnny's and Tim's styles. Both ladies appreciated Johnny's many affectionate comments to the media about the 1966-71 series and Jonathan's distinctive interpretation of Barnabas. The character Jonathan created is considered by many as an iconic precursor to today's portrayals of sympathetic, more "human" vampires.

The new SG #121 print issue will have more of Lara's comments about filming the DS movie cameos in England, as well as the DS Panel Talk and autograph session at Comic Con.

**** DS FESTIVAL CONVENTION - CELEBRATING DS' 45TH ANNIVERSARY

These SG Updates via the SG Yahoo Group and the SG published issues continue to announce and report confirmed news and plans for our 2011 gathering. First word information also was in the Double SG #119-#120 Official DS Newsletter earlier this year. The upcoming new SG #121 published newsletter will have last-minute Fest news.

DARK SHADOWS FESTIVAL'S CELEBRATION OF DS' 45TH ANIVERSARY

--- UPDATE: DS FESTIVAL - DS' 45TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION -
ANNOUNCING: NEW GUEST & MEMBERSHIP RATES INFO

August 19, 20 & 21, 2011 (Friday to Sunday)
New York Marriott Hotel at the Brooklyn Bridge
333 Adams Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201
Phone: 718-246-7000

---- SG PREMIERE ANNOUNCEMENT: NEWLY-ADDED GUEST: ROGER DAVIS

Roger (Peter Bradford, Jeff Clark, Ned Stuart, Dirk Wilkins, Charles Delaware Tate) will guest at the 45th Anniversary Celebration.

He joins previously-announced guests JONATHAN FRID, DAVID SELBY, LARA PARKER, JERRY LACY, KATHRYN LEIGH SCOTT, NANCY BARRETT, CHRIS PENNOCK, KATHLEEN CODY, MARIE WALLACE, DONNA WANDREY, SHARON SMYTH, DENISE NICKERSON, and BOBBI ANN WORONKO. More guests to be announced.

A tentative schedule of events will be available shortly via the SG Official Online DS News Updates through the SG Yahoo Group, the new SG #121 print issue, and to those fans who have pre-registered memberships.

---- SG Correction:

The correct daily Fest membership rates per person are as follows.

Friday only - $10
Saturday only - $20
Sunday only - $15
Children (ages 6-12) - Half-price

SG regrets any inconvenience or confusion about the above rates.

Full Membership - All 3 days - $30 per person
Children (ages 6-12) - Half-price
Banquet - $80 (includes personalized autographed photo of Barnabas signed by Jonathan Frid)

It is recommended that fans purchase their admission memberships in advance to receive the
tentative programming schedule. Attending memberships at the same rates will be sold at the door. Pre-registrations and all Banquet reservation payments must be received by 8-12-11.

You will be sent a receipt by return mail. Please bring this receipt with you to the Fest Registration Table in the hotel ballroom area to pick up your membership badge and convention Program Book.

The Program Book has numerous photos and Fest information plus a photo and brief biography of each guest. Fans like having the guests autograph their specific sections in the Book. You must wear your badge to enter all Fest activities during the weekend..There is no additional charge for any Fest programming except the Sunday evening Banquet.

SG Reminder: The Fest's closing event on the evening of Sun., Aug. 21, is the Banquet & DS Awards Ceremony, with guests seated at random tables with fan attendees. Fans who plan to attend the Banquet must send their non-refundable dinner reservation payment of $80 in advance to the Fest postal-mail address below. This must arrive at the Fest address no later than Aug. 12.

Jonathan Frid will be at the Fest only on Saturday and Sunday. His personalized autograph only will be available to Banquet attendees. This signed commemorative Barnabas photo is included in the price of the Banquet. Our other guests will sign free autographs and pose for photos with fans at no charge during the weekend.

PLEASE see SG Update #239, previous Updates, SG #119-#120 print issue, and the upcoming SG #121 newsletter for full information about the hotel, plus a breakdown of programming events for each day of the Fest.

You must include the Fest registration form with any advance payments. To receive it, please send a SASE (Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope) to the Fest address below or print it from the Fest website. Credit card and PayPal can not be accepted. Payment is only by check/money order (payable to Dark Shadows Festival), please.

Please include the full name(s) and full postal-mail address(es) for each person for whom you are paying and enclose 2 SASEs with your payment. Send all Fest correspondence to:

Dark Shadows Festival
P.O. Box 92
Maplewood, NJ 07040
darkshadowsfestival.com

Questions: Please directly contact the Fest at the above.

The Fest also asks SG to tell fans that the host hotel "presently has sold out of sleeping rooms
at the special reduced rate for the Fest weekend. Although the hotel will continue to accept reservations when possible, there is no guarantee that the special rate will be available. Please contact the hotel directly with questions and for more information: 718-246-7000."

SG advises fans that other convenient options are available at one of the following hotels. Each is approximately 1 mile away with easy taxi and subway access to the Brooklyn Bridge Marriott: You may be able to share cab or train rides with other fans staying at these hotels.

--- New York Marriott Downtown, 85 West Street, NY, NY 10006. 212-385-4900.
--- Millenium Hilton Hotel, 55 Church Street, NY, NY 10007: 212-693-2001.

Fans seeking potential hotel roommates may contact the Fest Roommate Coordinator, Pam Jarman: She will relay contact information to you to make your own arrangements. Please contact Pam at pljarman@hotmail.com or send a Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope (SASE) to Pam Jarman, P.O. Box 45674, Los Angeles, CA 90045.

All of us on the Fest staff volunteer our time and efforts. Fan volunteers can help in several ways during the Fest. Those who do so are invited to a private party with some of the guests. Please contact Volunteer Coordinator Nina Johnson by sending a SASE to Nina Johnson, 411 Victoria Dr., Columbia, MO 65201-3636, or email Nina at DS_Volunteers@hotmail.com

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
Re: ShadowGram Update #243
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 06:14:35 AM »
Wow!!!!! If only they could add John Karlen.  [ghost_grin]
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 03:27:43 PM »
Wow!!!!! If only they could add John Karlen.  [ghost_grin]

Seconding that, even if I can't go.

Offline DLA75

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 04:53:47 PM »
SG reports that Jonathan Frid, Lara Parker, David Selby, and Kathryn Leigh Scott flew to England in late June to film brief cameos in the new DS motion picture. They inform SG that it was a wonderful experience and that the movie cast and crew were extremely enthusiastic and gracious. They spent 3 days at Pinewood Studios, where filming began in May and continues into the fall.

I wish Burton would have shown the same class to Denise Nickerson and the cast of Original Willy Wonka when filming Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Instead he badmouthed the original move for the liberties it took with Dahl's book (i.e. Slugworth)me mile taking his own liberties (i.e. Wonka's Dentist Dad).
Dan

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 02:53:20 AM »
Does anyone know if the banquet will include meeting Mr. Frid as he signs the photo, as it was in 2007?
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 03:55:03 AM »
OMG OMG, Roger Davis will be there!!!!  what an utter THRILL for all the lucky fans who will be present!!!  *swoooonn*

Oh, I'm sorry, is my sarcasm dripping a hole through the floor?

*wink*

G.

David

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 04:02:22 AM »
 [ghost_grin]
At least Roger looked good in a wet bathing suit in Ride the Wild Surf (1964)!

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 10:38:26 PM »
It seems that is his usual behavior. He went to great lengths to distance his Batman films from the tv version. AdaM West was eager to be involved. He and Julie Newmar would have been great as Thomas and Martha Wayne
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline DLA75

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 01:08:00 AM »
Carlton Heston had a Cameo in Burton's Planet of the apes (as an Ape). Gene Wilder and Wonka Kids should been give Cameo with Burton putting his personal criticism of the original adaption aside. I remember Gene Wilder took as a personal insult much bad mouthing of Willie Wonka and The Chocolate Factory coming from the Burton camp.
Dan

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 12:53:58 AM »
Does anyone know if the banquet will include meeting Mr. Frid as he signs the photo, as it was in 2007?

Anybody? Nancy?
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 04:24:28 PM »
Not likely.  You've met him before, haven't you?

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 01:17:09 AM »
I think I spent my time on the line saying hi to you while my wife met him! :(

Offline LdyAnne

• Full Poster
  • DS fan since 1967- run home from school kid
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 02:11:24 AM »
The past recent Fests that Frid has attened the pictures are pre signed and in your registration packet
there is no way he can sign and personaliz 800+ photos during dinner he is in his mid 80s.

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 02:24:49 AM »
I hear you, but that was indeed the setup in 2007...