Author Topic: The Queen  (Read 3807 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
The Queen
« on: November 06, 2002, 11:02:14 AM »
I just love this part! That smile on Judith's face as she reads the will and then reveals all to her brothers is priceless. She's so much fun. And I absolutely L-O-O-O-V-E that scene when she wakes Edward up in the middle of the night just to announce that she's decided to move to the grandmother's room. Delicious!  I hadn't realized that it occurred immediately after the initial "gaining of power" and I was looking forward to it happening soon.
Josette

Connie

Re: The Queen
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2002, 12:24:51 PM »
...And I absolutely L-O-O-O-V-E that scene when she wakes Edward up in the middle of the night just to announce that she's decided to move to the grandmother's room. Delicious!

Yes Yes Yes!!!  OMG - Was that priceless??
Ya know, from the moment Carl came skipping down the stairs, LOL, right through the very end of the whole drawing room scene with Judith and her "poor" brothers, was priceless.  So rich.  1897 at its best IMHO!

-CLC  :)
(Developing a fondness for Judith)

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2002, 02:54:58 AM »
She gets better!

jennifer
always wanted to be a princess myself!
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2002, 03:42:44 AM »
Judith fascinates me and I think Joan Bennett did some of her best work on DS in this particular story arc.  

You know, several years ago there was an interesting thread on the Dominion about women and DS, that is, about whether the female characters were primarily weak or strong.  I forget who pointed it out (wasn't me) but really with the exception of Joshua, most of the control of the family comes from the female characters.  

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2002, 04:42:06 AM »
 I forget who pointed it out (wasn't me) but really with the exception of Joshua, most of the control of the family comes from the female characters.  

Well, that is a good point. But, it seems that it is also only the older females who can have any character, intelligence and strength. I've never understood the male desire to mate with a pretty idiot. From a species perspective, I can understand the young part, and we all know that beauty is a powerful attractant, even animals respond to it. But why would you want dumb children? I can't comprehend why men who are not dumber than a box of rocks don't care if a woman is.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2002, 07:08:57 AM »
Well, that is a good point. But, it seems that it is also only the older females who can have any character, intelligence and strength. I've never understood the male desire to mate with a pretty idiot. From a species perspective, I can understand the young part, and we all know that beauty is a powerful attractant, even animals respond to it. But why would you want dumb children? I can't comprehend why men who are not dumber than a box of rocks don't care if a woman is.

They are probably assuming that their progeny will inherit their brains, lol.  (Although for someone like Barnabas, that probably is a very dangerous assumption).

If you look at Carolyn, you can sort of see that she might one day be able to stand on her own.  Maggie and Vicki?  Forget it.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2002, 11:22:01 AM »
Josette Wrote:
I just love this part! That smile on Judith's face as she reads the will and then reveals all to her brothers is priceless. She's so much fun.

This was a great scene and Judith is just eating it up!
And it's great to see her in such a strong role, a far cry from poor Naomi! How times have changed!

I was wondering though just why Grandmama decided not to leave anything to Edward?  I mean if she found
him important enough to feel that HE should be the only one who gets to know the secret, why would she decide to leave him nothing?  If she felt Judith was capable enough of handling the whole estate & monies by herself than she should of told her the secret then. Evidently she didn't trust Edward as well as the other two brothers.
"Calamity Jane"

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2002, 08:17:59 PM »
Cassandra, I am almost certain that your questions about the will are answered in upcoming episodes. I hesitate to use spoilers because I am never sure if I am remembering correctly or if I am enhancing my memories with solutions that never happened.

Here's a hint though; If you recall, there was a point when Barnabas catches Sandor forging the will and Sandor states that he is not very good at it and Barn says something like, "Oh your very good, you just need a little help" (I know I butchered that quote.)

What puzzles me a great deal is the fact that Quentin isn't having a fit, because he knows that the will should have been rewritten to his favor. He's got to know something went terribly wrong with Evan's and his plans to change the will. I can't believe he didn't rush over to Evan's or the Old House after the reading of the will. I don't remember but I think this is also resolved in upcoming episodes.

dom

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2002, 11:52:52 PM »
Talking of strong younger women--I think Carolyn did a wonderful job running the house in 1968 when Liz was confined to Wyndcliffe.  Those scenes with Harry, in particular, are just priceless.  Contrast how Carolyn dealt with Harry, with how intimidated she was by shifty, sexy original Willie Loomis in 1967, and it shows just how much she had grown up (of course, she DID pull a pistol on Willie, which showed just what grit that gal had).

Alexis Stokes (I mean the real Alexis) also seems to be a young woman with a decent head on her shoulders.

Gothick

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
  • Jag gillar Dark Shadows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2002, 12:51:51 AM »
I just love this part! That smile on Judith's face as she reads the will and then reveals all to her brothers is priceless.

Loved that scene, too, Josette.

However, I am bothered by something.  Apart from the preamble, we never actually hear Judith read the will to her brothers, do we?  It seems the DS writers really missed on on a possibly even more dramatic scene here.  Can't you just imagine the expressions on their faces the moment they learn that sister Judith was left everything? Priceless!

I have seen the 1897 storyline once before, but don't remember everything.  Does anyone here have any idea why the writer's left the reading of the will out?  Does it have something to do with a developing storyline?  Or did I suffer a blackout (say it ain't so!) Honestly, I felt a bit cheated! :-(

Happybat

"One can only truly understand what one can create"--Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2002, 03:05:52 AM »

What puzzles me a great deal is the fact that Quentin isn't having a fit, because he knows that the will should have been rewritten to his favor. He's got to know something went terribly wrong with Evan's and his plans to change the will. I can't believe he didn't rush over to Evan's or the Old House after the reading of the will. I don't remember but I think this is also resolved in upcoming episodes.

I think he was having "grave" misgivings about his "undertaking" since Grandmamama began making pesky trouble for him!
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2002, 03:24:24 AM »

I think he was having "grave" misgivings about his "undertaking" since Grandmamama began making pesky trouble for him!

You suppose the will that Judith found in the family album is the original? That would make sense considering Quentin's reaction. I guess he thinks Granny put the will in the book herself.

dom

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2002, 02:11:52 AM »
I like Judith. For the first time in a while we have a strong female character who isn't a villain. I loved that scene in the episodes where she took everyone into the parlor. Also loved the scene where she awakens Edward in the middle of the night.

Vicki and Maggie started out as pretty sensible people when they came. Like when Vicki went behind Lizzie's back to find out some info. Unlike Rachel, what Vicki was looking for concerned her, which is what made Rachel a lot more annoying then Vicki when she was searching for an answer to what was in the tower room. Maggie had some spunk to, but Barnabas drained it out of her.

Carolyn seemed to be strong until at least 1969. Haven't seen the Levithan or summer of 1970 storylines yet though.

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2002, 02:19:45 AM »
Edith is definitely Joan Bennett's best role on the show - though Naomi comes in a close second, IMHO.  While she never becomes a villainess per se, she definitely does get to dish her share of dirt - though when it comes, have to say it's highly deserved.

During the character's absence from this storyline, I really miss her.  Edith's pretty damned fascinating - she had a ton of backbone, and was crazybright! You could always see those inner wheels turning 'round.
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2002, 05:05:44 AM »

You suppose the will that Judith found in the family album is the original? That would make sense considering Quentin's reaction. I guess he thinks Granny put the will in the book herself.

Yes,  that was my understanding. Sandor was trying to forge a copy when Barney caught him. So, presumably Barney had the original. Then he had Magda predict where it could be found.