Author Topic: The Queen  (Read 3806 times)

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: The Queen
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2002, 07:18:28 AM »
Yes,  that was my understanding. Sandor was trying to forge a copy when Barney caught him. So, presumably Barney had the original. Then he had Magda predict where it could be found.

Thanks for clearing that up, kuanyin.:) Now I feel horrible (not to mention stupid ;D) for misleading Cassandra in a post above, (sorry Cassandra! :'(). I thought Barn had Sandor forge the will to favor Judith. I have to say that I am shocked that granny would cut off the boys completely. I guess Judith's sense of duty convinced the old lady that she would best serve the interests of the family and Collinwood.

dom (who calls his disease - memory enhancementitis)

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2002, 10:59:50 AM »
dom wrote:

Thanks for clearing that up, kuanyin. Now I feel horrible (not to mention stupid ) for misleading Cassandra in a post above, (sorry Cassandra! ). I thought Barn had Sandor forge the will to favor Judith. I have to say that I am shocked that granny would cut off the boys completely

Hey, don't worry about it dom.  Alot that goes on still doesn't make much sense to either.   I wish that we got to see the part where Judith read the Will to everyone.  I would have loved to see the reason she gave everything to Judith and left nothing to Edward.(not to mention the look on everyone's faces)[wow]

Quentin, we already knew about and it had been mentioned that he wasn't getting any money.  And Carl, with his crazy self I figured wasn't getting anything either.  But Edward?  Now this is hard to figure out.  Here was the Grandson she felt was wise enough to be told the terrible family secret and yet she doesn't consider him wise enough to get at least a share of her money? [hdscrt]
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2002, 05:22:44 PM »
Quentin, we already knew about and it had been mentioned that he wasn't getting any money.  And Carl, with his crazy self I figured wasn't getting anything either.  But Edward?  Now this is hard to figure out.  Here was the Grandson she felt was wise enough to be told the terrible family secret and yet she doesn't consider him wise enough to get at least a share of her money? [hdscrt]

My best guess: she didn't like him. He is a pompous ass and a half. Regardless of your interpretation of Edith, this is a woman who apparently ran the house, the business, and the family for at least forty odd years, maybe longer. Edward acts like he's bought into the "women are the weaker sex" Victorian theory hook, line and sinker. Maybe he butted in once too often. Maybe he just irritated the hell out of her. Maybe she wasn't obligated to leave him anything.

Just speculating . . .

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2002, 07:36:16 PM »

Maggie had some spunk to, but Barnabas drained it out of her.

Barnabas seems to have that affect on women  ... i really liked the provocative, self-centered, flirtatious early Julia Hoffman. . miss her . . . she's too concerned now with everyone else. . she needs to be concerned with her own needs, especially the libidinous ones. . .
Julia99

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2006, 03:24:58 PM »
[spoiler]Well Judith said she had been the only one who spent most of her time caring for Edith, so maybe that tipped the scale in her favor. Probably Carl had been to busy playing pratical jokes on everyone, Quentin was too busy chasing skirts around the world, and Edward was too busy being.....well, Edward. As been said, the guy WAS a pompous ass, and that may have been a big turnoff for Edith. As for her wanting to tell him the secret despite the fact she was cutting him off, well maybe in that instance she thought that was one thing she felt only a male Collins was up to the task.[/spoiler]

Totally agree the reading of Edith's will was a blast, and one of the best DS episodes!

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2008, 07:02:38 AM »
I absolutely love JB's portrayal of Judith Collins.  I loved her and JB was a character actress as well as the most of the of the cast.  Flora, Judith, and Liz all had their own different flavor! BRAVO Miss Bennett to you I BOW!!! YAY This is my 300th post!!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2008, 08:13:31 AM »
As for why Edith wanted to tell Edward, not Judith, the Secret...

It may be that Edith had no choice in the matter of who should be told the Secret.  I don't know why that might be, but I'm sure that something could be dreamed up.

Alternatively, she may have felt that on the off-chance that the Secret would have to be dealt with physically, Edward would be more up to the task than Judith.

Or else she really wanted to stick it to Edward.  "So, sonny boy, you think the Collins family is the best thing since sliced bread?  Well, let me tell you what it's really like!"  But then Edward arrived too late for her to have her fun, poor thing.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2008, 04:24:39 PM »
As for why Edith wanted to tell Edward, not Judith, the Secret...

It may be that Edith had no choice in the matter of who should be told the Secret.  I don't know why that might be, but I'm sure that something could be dreamed up.

Dialogue would seem to back up her not having a choice.  In the ep that introduces 1897, Edith tells Quentin that he can't be told the secret because he's not the oldest; Edward is.  And after [spoiler]Edith dies without revealing it to him,[/spoiler] Edward explains to Barnabas that the secret has always been told to the oldest son.