Author Topic: Regarding the End Credits of the "Dark Shadows: The Beginning" DVDs  (Read 1378 times)

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Hey gang,

I get a big kick out of hearing the announcer at the end of the "pre-Barnabas" episodes, mentioning some of the ABC shows that were being broadcast back during 1966/1967 while watching the final DS credits on those first year, black-and-white episodes.

That wonderfully resonant-sounding announcer (who initially intoned the immortal words: "Dark Shadows is a Dan Curtis Production" at the end of each show before the DS cast members eventually did the honors)  might say something like: "Tonight, on ABC see 'Bewitched' and 'Combat' in  Color!"  (Yes color was a big deal in 1966!)

Wow, do those promos bring back wonderful memories of such 1960s' ABC night time classics as "Peyton Place," the aforementioned "Combat" (which my brothers and I loved to watch with our late, World War II US Army veteran father) and the cool and thought-provoking sci-fi series, "The Invaders," featuring the always terrific Roy Thinnes, the future Roger Collins of NBC's 1990 Dark Shadows revival series.

Ah, yes, the halcyon days of Dark Shadows, The Avengers, Combat and so many other superb series on ABC during the 1960s.  Sadly, we'll never see their great likes again.... [ghost_sad]

Bob

PS Does anyone know the name of that silver-toned ABC announcer on the Dark Shadows episodes?

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
Re: Regarding the End Credits of the "Dark Shadows: The Beginning" DVDs
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 11:46:12 PM »
the name of the announcer has been mentioned here before but i cant remember it. the answer is probably in one of those books by kls. but if u wait long enuf someone will post the name. i love hearing those promos also and grew up watching all those shows as well.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 12:39:57 AM »
Why did the announcer leave during the summer of 1967?  Did they get another on for the commercials?  I know they didn't get a replacement for the DS show itself.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 01:08:28 AM »
Bob Lloyd ...

Lloyd's voiceover promos could be heard on ABC-TV through the early 70s: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoBMulTGszc and he became a voiceover agent in New York (one of only a handful back then), and in 1975 switched to voice casting, earning the nickname The Voicecaster and starting the company Voicecasters, which to date is the largest voice casting studio in the country.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 06:12:16 AM »
Some non-classics also get mentioned.  I remember The Monroes, a very short-lived Western with attractive orphaned teenagers and a faithful Indian friend.  There may have been a dog, too.  With such a lot of crowd-pleasing ingredients, how could it have failed?

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 07:24:03 AM »
I really like the Monroes.  OT, another short lived on the Young Rebals. I believe it was also on ABC.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 10:04:12 AM »
the young rebels was on ABC for sure. i remember because our teacher wanted us to all write letters to ABC after it was cancelled. no such request after DS was cancelled. lol

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 01:01:19 PM »
I loved Peyton Place!  Having secretly read the book (my Mom would've killed me if she knew) I lived for the show which my Mom surprisingly approved of.  [ghost_shocked]
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 11:54:10 PM »
Lydia,

I think that Barbara Hershey (before she eventually hooked up with David "Kung Fu" Carradine) was on "The Monroes."

And let's not forget Bob Lloyd (Thank you, Midnite!) intoning those immortal words at the end of a Dark Shadows episode:

"Tonight on ABC, tune in to see 'The Rat Patrol' and 'Love: American Style'  IN color!"  [ghost_cheesy] [ghost_grin]

Bob

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 11:09:00 AM »
Love, American Style?  They showed the segment with Joan Bennett in it at the 2009 East Coast Fest.

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 04:42:40 PM »
KATHY CODY was also in an episode of LOVE AMERICAN STYLE and they showed a clip of that at the 2010 festival.