Author Topic: 10/23/....69?  (Read 1057 times)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
10/23/....69?
« on: October 23, 2002, 08:39:32 PM »
Just in case we weren't already certain we were back in the Hippy Dippy 60's,  let there be no doubts NOW!!

I Ching Wands....Eastern Mysticism....Transendent Meditation....Astral Projection....Gypsy Witch Tarot Cards....Was that a wiff of incense I caught, or something slightly less legal?  

Are Magda and Sandor offensive enough to warrant a class action suit by every son and daughter of Romany in America? (Tho Thayer and Grayson ARE a hoot and a half [lghy] )

And on a completely unrelated subject, can anyone explain to me why the parlour maid is wearing a dress that appears to be made of sapphire blue silk satin under her apron?  This is Collinwood, Maine....not the Court at Versailles!!

Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline onyx_treasure

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 10/23/....69?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2002, 09:39:09 PM »
    Does anyone know anything about I Ching?  I thought it was for predicting the future.  I am sure it isn't used for time travel.  Barnabas would have better luck with Prof. Stokes magic herbs.

P.S. Raineypark, I love your new avatar.  My son has a sweatshirt from Salem with a witch like that on it.  By the way, they have a tour in Salem that shows a man and a women identified as witches explaining that the term warlock means traitor(not male witch).
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2002, 10:51:31 PM »
Hi Onyx Treasure, you are correct that the I Ching is traditionally understood as a divinatory system.  The Eight Trigrams, whose origins are lost in the mists of antiquity (to coin a phrase!), were combined to create 64 hexagrams.  Each of the hexagrams has a name and an image associated with it, and each of the 6 lines within each hexagram has a subtle divinatory significance.  Like the Tarot, the I Ching can also be viewed as a sort of map for personal spiritual development.  Interestingly, a text entitled the Great Preface, which found its way into the body of material attached to the hexagrams, describes the 64 images in language that basically states that they contain all the processes of time and space, creation and destruction, within them.  Therefore, it is just barely conceivable that a magickal practicioner in mediaeval China could have used them in a manner similar to that employed by Barnabas Collins in 1969 on Dark Shadows.

Oh RP you know I adore Magda and her "Geeepsee carrrds ... older than thee Tarot!"  But if you think Magda and Sandor are bad, try watching an episode of F Troop.  It's amazing the network wasn't sued by a Native American anti-discrimination group.  Really appalling stuff.

Gothick

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2002, 11:10:31 PM »
Oh RP you know I adore Magda and her "Geeepsee carrrds ... older than thee Tarot!"  But if you think Magda and Sandor are bad, try watching an episode of F Troop.  It's amazing the network wasn't sued by a Native American anti-discrimination group.  Really appalling stuff.

Holy Mother, Steve....what channel do you get that's showing F TROOP!!!??? [lghy]

Yes, of course Magda and Sandor are wonderfully colorful characters....but then, I'm not Rom.

I DO, however, own a pack of Gypsy Witch Tarot Cards myself!  I do not read the Tarot, but my Mom bought them for me years ago, so they're precious. ;)

RP

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2002, 11:12:36 PM »
    Thanks so much for the info, Gothick.  Its nice to know the time travel aspect wasn't completely out of the realm of possiblity.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2002, 06:36:15 AM »
I haven't watched much Magda and Sandor 'til last week with a friend and I have tosay, they are a riot!  I didnt think i'd wanna watch them too much although I luv Grayson but after watching just a few scene, Magda hanging on the bannister at Collinwood like some easy floosie. . and then MAGDA (grason!) rather than Barnabas  telling someone to do as SHE says or they'll regret it! Great stuff. .but i hear she gets battered pretty often . .not looking forward to that too much . ..
Julia99

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2002, 07:39:20 AM »
after watching just a few scene, Magda hanging on the bannister at Collinwood like some easy floosie. . and then MAGDA (grason!) rather than Barnabas  telling someone to do as SHE says or they'll regret it! Great stuff. .but i hear she gets battered pretty often . .not looking forward to that too much . ..

Magda was Grayson's favorite DS role, so you should really catch as much of her as you can. She has some of the best lines of dialogue in the entire storyline (if not the entire series), and Grayson and Frid share great screen moments that run the gamut from comedy to tragedy.

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2002, 12:15:12 PM »

Magda was Grayson's favorite DS role, so you should really catch as much of her as you can. She has some of the best lines of dialogue in the entire storyline (if not the entire series), and Grayson and Frid share great screen moments that run the gamut from comedy to tragedy.

Grayson does such a great job with Magda and she really should have won an award for her role here. She's so totally convincing as Magda it isn't funny! If I didn't know any better I would have never known that it was Grayson playing the part.  And that wig & accent just add to it.    

Could you imagine the amount of time it must have taken to pile all that make-up on everyday?  Magda is a total hoot! And with Sandor by her side they make some pair! :-)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2002, 12:17:21 AM »
 Magda is a total hoot! And with Sandor by her side they make some pair! :-)

A friend of mine once showed up at my house while I was watching DS.  He took one look at Magda and Sandor and said "Who's that? Sonny and Cher?"  

I laughed so hard that I haven't yet recovered!

And you're right, Grayson is just the BEST as Magda.  You can tell it was her favorite role.  She has so much fun with it!
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline MrsJ

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2002, 03:40:20 AM »

Playing Magda was undoubtedly more fun than portaying Julia, especially considering Grayson's own flamboyant personality :-)  
Yeah, it's campy and all that, but a lot of fun to watch...

MrsJ.