Author Topic: The Robservations Slideshow  (Read 10006 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: The Robservations Slideshow
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2011, 03:43:45 AM »
A memorable sight for us Grayson fans--an actual capture of Constance Collins with Brutus!  Great shot!

It was interesting to see images from one of Laura's final episodes.  Somehow, I thought the storyline wrapped in early March... I must be thinking of the taping dates rather than the air dates...

I just love the daily Robservations slideshow!  And in the hoDS show, I have really been enjoying all the lovely captures from the Stokes and Julia scene.  I wonder whether there will be a capture of their two shot from the family dinner after the funeral?  I love what they're both wearing in that scene--they both look so very elegant.

Thanks, G.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2011, 08:40:06 AM »
I just love the daily Robservations slideshow!
And I enjoy reading your comments on it, Gothick!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2011, 11:03:26 PM »
Today's slide show also features the great scene of Lt. Costa visiting the Phoenix morgue.

Way late, but here that finally is:

1967: Ep #174 - Lts. Riley and Costa are shocked to
discover  the body of the 'unknown' burned woman is
gone.

Sy Tomashoff really earned his bacon

Indeed, that was a great set.  [thumb]

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2011, 03:43:22 AM »
this set was so huge and finely detailed for a single use i sometimes wonder if it wasn't used for another series.

like "the bangor pine" one of the first year sets that was really gorgeous.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2011, 05:32:52 AM »
Some real treats in tonight's show!  One of my all time favorite DS moments is the close-up (and Joan's gloating voiceover) of Judith as she exultantly enters the drawing room to purr over her new status as unrivalled Mistress of Collinwood.  Nice shot of Magda over the cards, too.

I swear Sky looks like an Ohrbach's men's department mannequin in that first snap from today's Leviathans show.  Love the shot of Angelique's acid analysis of how "mighty" Sky is as chief lackey-in-waiting to Nicholas.  Love that color and style on LP.

I get a real kick out of Grayson on the sofa in that PT 1841 shot.  She seems to be saying, "Gawd!  this storyline is giving me a bitch of a headache!" lol.

cheers, G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2011, 06:08:22 PM »
this set was so huge

While looking for something else I just came across this other capture that was posted on the forum - and it really shows off the size of the set:

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2011, 06:25:49 PM »
What a great shot, MB--so film noir! Who would ever guess that was a still from Dark Shadows?

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2011, 04:05:32 AM »
Gotta love the oh-so-dramatic two shot of Kendrick and Aunt Julia at a climactic moment in the PT 1841 storyline in tonight's slide show!  It could be an especially fraught evening at the Lee Strasberg Actor's Studio.  The contrast in their expressions is really priceless.

I don't follow all the caption stuff in the games section, but I could imagine the fans who are into that concocting some really wild lines for this shot!

Great work again, MB!

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2011, 04:01:45 AM »
Just love tonight's flagship Robservations snapshot of Hoffman keeping the flame burning brightly before Angelique's shrine.  Hoffman fiercely, fiercely rules!

It's always a treat to see the early days of PT 1970, a personal favorite of mine among the DS storylines.  It will be interesting to see if the Tim Burton film references some of the styles and atmosphere of this storyline and the better parts of Leviathans '70.

G.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2011, 10:40:08 AM »
Hoffman fiercely, fiercely rules!
Fight fiercely, Hoffman!

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2011, 03:46:54 PM »
I've always enjoyed Grayson's Hoffman. And I like this story line too!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2011, 03:30:29 AM »
Just love tonight's two-shot of Hoffman and Alexis.  Another of those fabulous moments!

I was thinking about the early 1970s DS films and how much of what *made* them seem like part of the canon had a great deal to do with the performances of particular actors (and, at least in the first one, Robert Cobert's music).  Whether it be Grayson, Jonathan, Nancy, Joan, Louis, Thayer, John K, or Lara in the lead roles, or having the fabuous Humbet Allen Astredo or Diana Millay show up in a supporting role--the aesthetics of their performances helped connect us to the atmosphere of the series even when the films went off the deep end with some of DC's craziness.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2011, 05:11:28 PM »
Before I finally get to the captures/captions being commented on below, I have to say that anyone who doesn't believe there were actual moments of intentional humor on DS have obviously never seen this early 1897 scene:

1969: Ep #706 - ...Magda soon announces Edith is dead.

The expression on John Karlen's face alone is funny. But then, Carl was often used as comic relief during 1897.

Some real treats in tonight's show!  One of my all time favorite DS moments is the close-up (and Joan's gloating voiceover) of Judith as she exultantly enters the drawing room to purr over her new status as unrivalled Mistress of Collinwood.

Yes. And you've got to believe that Joan relished playing the scene as much as we do watching it:

1969: Ep #713 - Judith is tickled pink to learn Edith's will
puts her in control of everything.

Nice shot of Magda over the cards, too.

1969: Ep #713 - Magda tells Judith that she can find the will
in 'the heart' of Edith's room.

Grayson was always a hoot and a half when she did any of Magda's scenes with the Tarot card.  [wink2]

I swear Sky looks like an Ohrbach's men's department mannequin in that first snap from today's Leviathans show.

Was there any time that Sky didn't resemble a mannequin?! Sadly, Geoffrey Scott was all look and little talent.  [sad3]

Love the shot of Angelique's acid analysis of how "mighty" Sky is as chief lackey-in-waiting to Nicholas.  Love that color and style on LP.

1970: Ep #974 - Angelique teases Sky over how far his
status has fallen.

One of the best scenes ever on DS. It's just too bad that Lara Parker doesn't recall it as well as many of us do. (She even wrote in the DS Companion that she believed the scene took place between Ang and Nicholas.)

I get a real kick out of Grayson on the sofa in that PT 1841 shot.  She seems to be saying, "Gawd!  this storyline is giving me a bitch of a headache!" lol.

1971: Ep #1235 - Gabriel has knocked Julia over the head
and escaped from the tower room.

[lghy]  Actually though, that ep is one of Julia Collins' best, as we'll see when we get to it in the WP...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2011, 07:42:55 PM »
Thanks, MB, for that truly delicious selection!  You're right, that scene with Magda and Carl is a real hoot!

Whenever I see Magda working the cards, I always think of those many evenings young GH spent with Daddy's Atlantic City showgirls--some of them obviously enjoyed playing cards and showing her the ropes they'd learned from various card-sharps over the years.  She also spoke of playing strip poker with Tennessee Williams on the set of Night of the Iguana.

You've really got me jonesing for some PT 1841 Julia Collins action, MB!

G.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2011, 07:16:32 AM »
Hey, Gothick, come join the PT 1841 party at the Watching Project!  All the cool kids are gonna be there!