Author Topic: Leslie Nielsen / was: RIP Addison Powell (DS' Dr. Eric Lang)  (Read 2740 times)

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Leslie Nielsen / was: RIP Addison Powell (DS' Dr. Eric Lang)
« on: November 29, 2010, 10:50:03 PM »
is it just me cousins, or does it feel like everyone is dying this year? please don't take that as me being disrespectful cause that isn't my intention at all. the latest one is of course "Leslie Neilson" that one hit me pretty hard cause that man was basically ageless. at least he felt that way to me even as far back as when the 1st "Naked Gun" film came out. in (1988)

another guy who seems ageless that was on "DS" is "Abe Vigoda' i love the fact that i believe it was his 1st acting job. & he actually looks i believe the same as he did back in (1969) when he did "DS" & he's i think almost 90 or in his 90's now i forget which.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 01:20:36 AM »
(
the latest one is of course "Leslie Neilson" that one hit me pretty hard cause that man was basically ageless.

I'm actually surprised that no one has started a topic about Leslie Nielsen's passing because I can think of at least two DS actresses that he'd worked with.)

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 03:04:57 AM »
the  ONLY reason i didn't cause i wasn't sure if it was allowed. since he wasn't on the show or in any of the films either.

who did he work with anyways? the man's acted in at least 200 plus films & another 200 or so tv shows at least.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 05:25:45 AM »
even more obscure DS connection...

neilson starred opposite julie haggarty in "airplane" who made an unbilled cameo appearance as alexandra isles in "reversal of fortune".

flimsy, i know. [hall2_rolleyes]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 06:01:52 AM »
i've actually never seen that film before.  [hall2_wink], is it any good?

Offline Robot_Quentin

• Senior Poster
  • Born during episode #566...... For Real!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 08:00:06 AM »
"Reversal of Fortune" is actually pretty good, but the whole point of the movie seems to try to prove "how the legal system works."  If there's not enough evidence to convict whomever, you cannot convict!! (Even if the guy is guilty as hell. IMO Like the O.J. trial) It's a pretty famous case for law students to study. If you can find a documentary on the case its much better than the movie, partly because you get to see Victoria Winters on trial for real!!!!!  Ouch!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_0XrVqr1so
Robot_Quentin: "I've never watched the last episode, so the show never ended for me."

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 05:12:16 PM »
KLS had a guest role in an episode of that spoof police series in the 1970s that Leslie Nielsen starred in.  I can't recall the title now but I remember that they would spoof the freeze frame business that was so popular back in the day--and Leslie would be in the middle of pouring a cup of coffee on the freeze frame and you could hear the coffee trickling all over the desk.  Funny stuff.

I'm not that much of a KLS fan but I recall her mentioning this as one of her favorite roles in her career because she was given the chance to show how good she is at comedy.

G.

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Leslie Nielsen / was: RIP Addison Powell (DS' Dr. Eric Lang)
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 07:51:34 PM »
I heard  that news  yesterday  i remember Leslie  Nielsen  he was a  good actor .
                Rest  In Peace     Love   Anne [hall2_cry]
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 08:00:35 PM »
KLS had a guest role in an episode of that spoof police series in the 1970s that Leslie Nielsen starred in.

She talked about that part at the 2006 Fest in Brooklyn:
One woman asked Kathryn about her role in Police Squad, ("The one where I'm wearing all the wigs," KLS said knowingly) "What was it like to work with Leslie Nielsen? He seems like such a funny man." "He is! He used to carry around a whoopee cushion and make funny noises behind people's backs." Richard Halpern corroborated this. "I worked with him in Repossessed (the Leslie Nielsen/Linda Blair Exorcist parody) I had a small part in that.  He used that whoopee cushion on the CEO of Paramount Studios. We couldn't believe it." Kathryn also told us about her audition for the movie. "I read the script and thought it was hilarious, but when I went to read for the part, they wanted me to be serious.  “Read it like you're Gene Tierney,' they told me. So I did, and they were cracking up. Then, when we were filming it, I was supposed to have braces, but the make-up man had forgotten to get me some.  So I took foil and tied it on my teeth with dental floss to look like braces. (Ingenious!)  I played the part of 'The Big Blonde' and I was a brunette.  It was a lot of fun."

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 08:14:47 PM »
There's also a topic on the Forums about an online list of Greatest Cult TV Shows (in EW's mind, anyway), and they happened to include a shot of KLS in her Police Squad! role:

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20302134_20304619_5,00.html

As for the other Leslie Nielsen/DS connection, the character's name was Lucy. [hall2_wink]  MB posted screen caps of her some years back.

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 10:30:29 PM »
thanxs for starting this thread for me!  [hall2_grin] at least my post was DS related ya know? anyways she did "Police Squad" ? god i just LOVE that show. it really pisses me off that it flopped at the time it was originally on. & actually on how few episodes the show actually has. it actually feels like there's MORE than that. at least to me it does.

i didn't know KLS did a guest spot on it. than i'm sure i saw it.  [hall2_grin] it's just been a long time. ya know it would i think have been fun to see "Leslie Neilson" do "DS" during it's run cause he wasn't doing comedy at the time like he was doing later on. & if i'm not mistaken doing tv gave him more of a career than movies did for years. or so i'm told.

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 05:13:54 AM »
As for the other Leslie Nielsen/DS connection, the character's name was Lucy. [hall2_wink]  MB posted screen caps of her some years back.

What is: Dracula: Dead & Loving It (one of my favs), Featuring Ms Lysette Anthony aka the Revival's Angelique?

"Renfield, look at me! I'm drinking wine, and eating chicken!"

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 05:19:48 AM »
god i haven't seen that movie in ages. ya know i've always thought that was a pretty weak movie. compared to his Earlier films. i always have wanted "Mel Brooks" to do another film before he passes on that he directs & acts in & writes

& that it can be his swan song, directing wise. anyways, i didn't actually realize anyone from 'DS" was in that film either.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 05:20:34 AM »
Does that make me Alex Trebek?

... it also stars Lysette Anthony (the '91 DS' Angelique) as the unfortunate Lucy Westenra:

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 05:24:40 AM »
What is: Dracula: Dead & Loving It

Indeed it is.  [hall2_smiley]

one of my favs

I love it too. Some of it is just too hysterically funny for words!  [hall2_grin]

... Lucy's staking was quite funny (and how often can you say a vampire's staking is funny? :D)

...definitely one of the most hilarious scenes had to be when Dracula was trying to summon Mina from her room and his telepathic signal was also picked up by the maid in the room. The way it was shot was very reminiscent of similar scenes from the '91 DS, and all I could think of was how hysterical it would have been had the same thing happened to Ben Cross' Barnabas. I was laughing so hard that tears were running down my face!  ;D