Author Topic: Dark Shadows University  (Read 2630 times)

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Shadows University
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2002, 05:37:30 PM »
Congratulations, Mark!

I recently began my new career teaching law school.  Although my current course assignment is legal writing, give me enough time (and imagination), and I'm sure I can find a way to sneak your book into the required reading list ...  and nab you to be a guest speaker in my class!

Ben
(wondering why the font options and emoticons are missing from my reply box today -- were they given Labor Day off?)

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2002, 05:45:05 PM »
Heh heh... any university that wants to pay all my expenses to talk about DS can have me. ;)

(wondering why the font options and emoticons are missing from my reply box today -- were they given Labor Day off?)

Ben -- See MB's topic on bandwidth-saving measures. What I do anyway is keep a text file with the most common Yhbb code I use, cut and paste, and re-enter values to suit.

[shadow=green,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2002, 05:55:26 PM »
Ben -- See MB's topic on bandwidth-saving measures. [shadow=green,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

Oops ... slap me for overlooking an instructive post by the omnipotent MB!

Ben

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2002, 06:10:37 PM »
Very cool, exciting news, Mark!
Good work & big congrats!! [beer]
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2002, 06:58:35 PM »
Oh, wow, Mark, that's fab-u-lous!  I agree--you should offer yourself as a guest speaker--not only are you the author of one of their class texts, you're a DS expert.  

Why didn't we have classes that interesting when *I* went to college?  

Then again, "Sex in Cinema" sure was a goodie!  I almost forgot that one.  And "Human Sexuality"--also known to us as "Nuts 'n' Sluts"!

Mark, I'm surprised that the teacher of that course never attempted to contact you once your book was chosen!  I agree you should certainly contact him/her!!

Robin...did you take those courses at Hofstra? [winkb]

Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2002, 07:02:04 PM »
When I was in college in 1971, English majors had the chance to attend something called "the fourth hour program." These were one hour talks given by the English professors that, if attended, counted for one unit of credit toward the major. One of my favorite profs had just returned from a six-month sabbatical in England, where he was researching that nineteenth Century British newspaper serial vampire called "Varney the Vampire."  The profs talk was wonderful, very funny. Old Varney's trials and tribulations seemed far worse than the problems of Barnabas. These tales have been compiled into book form and I know there are some of you out there who are familier with him.

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2002, 09:40:43 PM »
Congratulations Mark!  I am going to ask my two college children if they have any friends going to U. of Vermont.  I will suggest they take that course.  Maybe they will offer at U-Mass next semester.  I will be able to help my son with the course, and enjoy it.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2002, 11:12:58 PM »
No, Raineypark, I took Human Sexuality at Nassau Community College (on Long Island), and "Nuts 'n' Sluts" at Brockport, in upstate NY.  

Then again, I was always one of those students who tried to interject sexual topics into EVERY class.  I helped make our Social Studies courses fun because I always asked the profs about the personal lives of the emperors, queens, kings, etc.  Many of our teachers had really fascinating tales to tell, too!

You'd be great, Mark!

Love, Robin

Offline MikeS

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2002, 12:04:18 AM »
That is great news, Mark.  Congratulations!

Offline MrsJ

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2002, 12:34:29 AM »
Neat course...congratulations, Mark!  
I wish I could have taken a class like that way back when I was in school...

MrsJ.

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2002, 02:14:30 AM »
Mark,

At the university where I am, grad English students have the option of proposing their own versions of the freshman comp course, and students can take these specialized courses if they so choose.

Right now, we have a few courses being offered that are similar to the one you found: "Vampires: An American Love Affair," "Fear and Loathing in America: The Horror Genre and Cultural Anxiety," and "Gothic Monsters and Damsels in Distress: American Pop Culture and the Gothic Imagination."

The vampire course is geared toward looking at how presentations of vampires as of the 20th century have become more sympathetic. They're reading Stoker and Rice, but they're primarily looking at a lot of tv and film.

The course you've found is the same sort of specialized version of freshman comp that we teach here. It's actually Virginia Tech, not U of Vermont. :)

If it had about 20 novels and various critical texts listed, the reading of which would most likely lead to blurred vision and bifocals prior to the age of 30, then it would be a grad course. ;)

As for why the instructor hasn't contacted you, that is probably because s/he is a grad student who never really considered the possibility.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2002, 02:56:55 AM »
The course you've found is the same sort of specialized version of freshman comp that we teach here. It's actually Virginia Tech, not U of Vermont.

Now that's interesting. (I had assumed the VT in the address stood for Vermont, since there was no other reference in the document that I could find.) I used to frequent Blacksburg, VA, since my brother graduated from Virginia Tech and then lived there for 12 years afterward. Beth Massie and I still camp out in the Jefferson National Forest not far from Tech. So it's within easy traveling distance.

I dunno if they're still offering that particular course, but I suppose I might give 'em a holler. ;)

Actually, a few years ago, at the invitation of the department chairman, I went to speak to the language arts dept. at Ferrum College, VA (which I attended back in the dark ages). They told me they'd have a nice dinner for me when I got there. What I didn't expect was a first-class catered dinner and a check for a hundred bucks (for which the professor apologized -- "It's all we can swing for guest speakers"). Frankly, I thought it was a wonderful gesture and the payment was quite unexpected.

Naturally, since it was me old alma mater, I was feeling fairly charitable; for other institutions, I'd certainly have to hold out for at least a meal that doesn't originate from the campus cafeteria. ;)

[shadow=navy,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

Offline Angelique_s_Sis

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2002, 03:24:53 AM »
Congratulations Mark!  

I had a college course that was Horror Literature.  We covered Dracula & Frankenstein besides Edgar Allen Poe.   They only had one class on Dark Shadows but that was long ago.  

Enjoy your honor cos it is an honor.