Author Topic: Who would you have liked to have seen Barnabas wind up with?  (Read 8741 times)

Offline kuanyin

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Who would you have liked to have seen Barnabas wind up with?
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2002, 03:03:45 AM »
Of all his love interests, Barnabas does seem to ironically have more chemistry with Angelique than any of the others (IMO).  They have quite a constant fire going on that I think if the series were going on today might occasionally turn more steamy regardless of their wanting to kill one another.  

Still, my old memories of the show insist that I say Josette who I can't quite get out of my head as his "eternal love". It's just that when I think of it now -at  a crusty 47 vs. a much less jaded 12 - I can't help thinking "Eternal love? Just WHAT the heck IS that anyway!!!"  :P  Ahhhh, sweet, dingy youth where have you gone!

I have to agree with you on the chemistry thing with Angie. Personally, I think Barn and Josette have ZERO chemistry.

As for eternal love, I think it would have been much easier to keep a semblance of it (during one's lifetime anyway!) IF you were rich in the old days. He doesn't pick up his socks? Who cares, who does? That's the maid or valet's job! Plus, in the case of nobility they usually had separate bedrooms. Less of the familiarity breeds contempt concept. The men and women would only socialize for short periods of time and then part their ways. Which leads me to think the wife less likely to be stuck for hours watching him swill beer, watch tv and fart, all while in his underwear!
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2002, 03:05:39 AM »
I can not see Barnabas and Julia. Sorry B&J fans. The only way I can see them is in a situation such as the Ropers on Three's Company. Julia would always ask Barnabas to get it on with her, Barnabas would say he had a headache. I can see them as being just friends, in the Jack and Janet of TC way. The only way I can see them kissing is if they went to one of those computer dating places and got hooked up on accident and decided they wouldn't waste the money they spent arranging the date.

I can't really see Barnabas with Maggie - he never seemed really in love with her; more in love with her resemblence to his Josette.

Vicki he seemed to be more in love with then Maggie. She wasn't exactly a look alike, and he seemed to drop the Vicki as my Josette plan after she revealed her feelings about Jeff in Lang's home, but he continued to love her anyway. They shared some of the same interests, such as history.

Angelique . . . I love the character, but I can't see her with Barnabas. She's done so much hurt to Barnabas. I can never see him fully forgiving her for that.

Roxanne Drew . . . Could never really see them as a couple.

and last but not least

Josette . . . Barnabas was really in love with her, and she adored him. I could see a marriage between the two working out very well, even if they got bored with each other. I mean Barnabas' life before Josette would've been just as boring if it wasn't for the nights in Martinique which were probably pretty exciting for him, lol.

So I could probably see him with Vicki or Josette (if she came back as herself, in some form)

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2002, 03:07:46 AM »
I believe they were well-suited to each other, and once he got over trying to replace Josette and accepted Vicki as a separate soul who loved him, they could have been very happy.

But I still think Willie might have been best of all!    ;)

Can't argue with you about Willie! But the whole problem with Vicky is that she DIDN'T love him..... :'(
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2002, 03:58:28 AM »
ANGELIQUE!!! NO ANDS IF'S OR BUTS!
They undoubtedly  have an undead, er, I mean undying passion for one another.  Even though Barnie is too dumb to realize it!

...perhaps he should have Willie...
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Maggie Evans

• Junior Poster
  • Barnabas..you can nail me in your coffin anytime~!
    • View Profile
    • The Old House
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2002, 05:28:39 AM »
A write-in vote--Willie!

Seriously. . .

This has become a more difficult question for me as I grow older.

Should it be Josette, the long-lost love Barnabas tried so hard to re-create?

The loyal, loving, generous Julia, who stood beside him, a staunch friend to the end?

Angelique, his one legal witch-wife, the woman from his own century, who blackmailed him into marrying her, yet seemed to have a strong tie to him in spite of it all?  

Actually, I think if Barnabas had had some serious therapy, the right mate for him would have been Vicki Winters, a modern girl with old-fashioned values and a love of the past.  I believe they were well-suited to each other, and once he got over trying to replace Josette and accepted Vicki as a separate soul who loved him, they could have been very happy.

But I still think Willie might have been best of all!    ;)

Robin..you won't believe this but I was going to include a man in the choices for barnabas... :P
Decided against doing that because I just can't picture him with a man myself..not even willie ;)
Happiness isnt having what you want..it's wanting what you have.

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2002, 05:35:25 AM »
...I still think Willie might have been best of all!

Julia would walk in on them and say, "I knew it! I knew it!"

BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline Lindsey

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2002, 06:06:00 AM »
Definately Angelique. They have been together for the longest amount of time and are so very close. Angelique always tries to tell herself that she doesn't love him, but she always says later that she still loves him. Like she just said, "I have hated the things you've done, Barnabas, but I could never hate you."
Also, Barnabas had the perfect opportunity to kill her as she came to him as the aging Cassandra, but he wouldn't do it. He even told Julia not to do it. And as she was dying as Cassandra, she began to fall, and he reached down and helped her. I think that in itself shows that deep down Barnabas loves her, but cannot believe it.

Spoiler...
I thought it was a beautiful scene when Barnabas watched Catherine and Bramwell in PT and realized he truly loved her. Then to have him try to tell her and, once again, fate steps in and destroys his chance of happiness. Such a sad scene, although I thought it was a wonderful ending to our final RT story.

They were definately met for each other.

-Lindsey
"What is the truth?" 
"That I love you.  No matter how much I fight my feelings, I will always love you."
                          -Barnabas and Angelique 1840

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2002, 06:38:40 AM »
 I believe Barnabas, would in his heart desire some one who was more his equal in matters of strong will,loyalty, independence and education...

Josette, while fair of face was educated only in how to run a household.

Angelique a mere servant girl knew only of striving to climb the ladder to wealth, her talent was in how to  please her master.  

I believe only one person could hold all that Barnabas truly desires and that would be.....

v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v    
v
v
v
v  
 Julia's brain transplanted into Josette's head that was also transplanted onto Angelique's body!  :-*
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2002, 07:33:41 AM »
Julia's brain transplanted into Josette's head that was also transplanted onto Angelique's body!  :-*

Wow Sarah Julia can't do it ,Dr Lang is dead ,but Jeffy did watch maybe he doesn't need to go to NY here's a new career!
Can anyone think of other transplants?
Hallie / carrie not accepted !

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2002, 03:09:12 PM »
:D Well, let's see: Vicki went to 1976 with Peter, Maggie went bonkers, Angelique wouldn't do 'cause she was responsible for bumping off Josette & Sarah & Naomi (bseides, she got bumped off in 1840!), Roxanne got staked, Kitty became Josette and died AGAIN, Rachel was shot to death,  and the PT Roxanne was separated from Barnabas due to the fire at Collinwood.  Above all that, JULIA ALWAYS SURVIVED, AND WAS WITH BARNABAS IN HIS FINAL SCENE!!!  If that ain't destiny, I don't know what is!  Besides, the relationship had grown by leaps and bounds in four years, and consider the depth of his feelings for her ANYTIME she was in danger, especially 1968 and 1995!!  With all of the above out of the picture in 1971, the field was finally clear for Julia as Barnabas' love interest.  Not that she couldn't fend off the competition-  far from it, she always had the best advantage: she knew him better than anyone, and that made Angelique VERY jealous of her.  In a crisis, he'd turn to Julia.  In good times, she'd be welcome at his side.  Had the show continued, there is no doubt that the long-overdue romance between Barnabas & Julia would finally take center stage.  Their relationship on DS is very much like of three other legendary TV pairs who didn't necessarily "get it on" onscreen, but you felt the passion all the same:  Matt Dillon & Kitty Russell from "Gunsmoke" ,  John Steed & Emma Peel from "The Avengers", and Perry Mason & Della Street!!!  And from what we know now (via Sam Hall's TV Guide article  and interviews Grayson Hall gave after DS) it's safe to say that the doctor & the vampire were indeed going to wind up together!!  Let's face it- the chemistry between those two kept the show afloat, and romance was the next step!

Offline Maggie Evans

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Old House
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2002, 03:33:54 PM »
I am surprised at how many chose Angelique.I thought about that scenario and even though I do think they could make a go of it for awhile..I just can't see Angelique behaving herself long enough to make it last..she's too jealous.
I just can't forget how happy Barnabas was with Josette..I can remember the first time I saw him in that time period on the show..and I thought how cool it was to see him sooooooo happy and alive..no matter who he was with after her..he just didn't seem to be as happy.So I think I have to go with Josette.....Although she would have had to do some time traveling and be bought back to life  :P..She's the one I would have like to see him wind up with in the end ..

Offline Maggie Evans

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Old House
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2002, 03:37:11 PM »
I am adding my own little footnote here..but I think Barnabas & Roxanne..just were an awful couple together..I just could never see the magic there.Total mismatch.. They don't look right together to me..:-/

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2002, 03:41:18 PM »
 In a crisis, he'd turn to Julia.  

Spoiler......

Let's give some credit where it is due. Maybe you forget that it was Angelique who lifted the curse for him in 1840 to deal with Judah Zachery. Barnabas also called upon Angelique to help save Nora and Jamison Collins from their mother, Laura, in 1897. In the end, she risked everything to help Barnabas save Desmond and Quentin. There were other times...It wasn't always Julia.
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2002, 04:42:10 PM »
Lots o' spoilers

Spoiler......

Let's give some credit where it is due. Maybe you forget that it was Angelique who lifted the curse for him in 1840 to deal with Judah Zachery. Barnabas also called upon Angelique to help save Nora and Jamison Collins from their mother, Laura, in 1897. In the end, she risked everything to help Barnabas save Desmond and Quentin. There were other times...It wasn't always Julia.

Who put the curse on Barnabas to begin with?  Who controlled Rachel essentially because she "was in the way"?  Who blackmailed Barnabas by physically threatening various tangential members of the household?  Who made his cousin rise as a zombie?  Who really had no problems whatsover hurting small children when it suited her purposes?

At best, the much-touted 1840 conversion to the good guys was essentially a last effort at ratings and a way to end the present time storyline.  It was lousy writing that made no sense in terms of the characters.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2002, 04:45:36 PM »
Spoilers

:D Well, let's see: Vicki went to 1976 with Peter, Maggie went bonkers, Angelique wouldn't do 'cause she was responsible for bumping off Josette & Sarah & Naomi (bseides, she got bumped off in 1840!), Roxanne got staked, Kitty became Josette and died AGAIN, Rachel was shot to death,  and the PT Roxanne was separated from Barnabas due to the fire at Collinwood.  Above all that, JULIA ALWAYS SURVIVED, AND WAS WITH BARNABAS IN HIS FINAL SCENE!!!  If that ain't destiny, I don't know what is!

I have to laugh.  I was reading your post and enjoying it hugely, and was positive I knew where it was going--essentially that Barnabas should just give up the pursuit of love as a lost cause and get a cat or a bird or something and stay home, and then you kept going  8)

Luciaphil
(who still enjoyed your post  :D)
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga