Author Topic: TIME TURNS  (Read 3158 times)

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
TIME TURNS
« on: August 23, 2002, 02:09:00 AM »
Everyone here has their favorites with regards to the actresses and actors on the show. However, I know each time I watch the Series my list grows a little larger. This year,  I have developed a deeper appreciation for Thayer David's talents. Please share with us some of your insights watching once again and which performer you view with a different perspective.
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
Re: TIME TURNS
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2002, 03:45:07 AM »

I developed a deeper appreciation for Clarice Blackburn this time around, especially in the scenes with Craig Slocum, they're my fave scenes she did, and as others have stated she really does look like him! Too bad she didn't wear her natural red hair on the show.
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2002, 03:52:53 AM »
Well, to tell you the truth - and maybe I've been partially influenced by the positive vibes coming from our own Craig_Slocum's undying love for him which appears to be matched only by Annie's unending amour for the Q-Man  ;) - I've been rethinking my original opinion of Slocum's acting skills somewhat this time around.  I honestly couldn't see anything much at all in him the first time but now I think he does a pretty decent parasitic good for nothing (that was a compliment BTW  ;) ).
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2002, 04:40:49 AM »
I've been rethinking my original opinion of Slocum's acting skills somewhat this time around.  I honestly couldn't see anything much at all in him the first time but now I think he does a pretty decent parasitic good for nothing (that was a compliment BTW  ;) ).

He kinda grows on you and maybe by next year he will be on my list... ::)

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2002, 04:55:38 AM »
Well, this should make VAM happy, but I've come to appreciate Lara Parker a bit more.  I still don't think she's anything great as an actress, but she plays her part with great conviction and she's usually entertaining.

I appreciate her Cassandra more every time I see the episodes.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Angelique_s_Sis

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2002, 05:01:02 AM »
:)  This time around I would say I've added to my list....Mr. Astredo.  The overtures of hand gestures still is a bit much but he really plays an evil Nicholas to the hilt. ;D

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2002, 07:14:22 AM »
I'm starting to appreciate Jeff Clark... not!
I don't really change that much if anything i find characters more annoying like Adam, Vicki, Eve, Harry
and still love Prof S, Roger, Carolyn, Nickolas, Mrs J. B&J Willie, Elizabeth.Joe...sorry that wasn't the question oh well has to be Mrs J then for not just running off and leaving this weird Collin's family that keep odd hours and making her job harder than it should be! :o

jennifer
now ask when again when Chris J appears :-* :-* :-*
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2002, 08:41:56 AM »
I really developed a greater respect for Robert Rodan this time around, mainly during Adam's speechless days.  It must have been very difficult to convey so many emptions with only hand gestures and facial expressions, but Rodan was very convincing.

I've also come to appreciate Louis Edmonds a great deal more.

ProfStokes

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2002, 09:42:58 AM »
There's a few that I appreciate more this time around than before. First of all,  I've never noticed before just how well Hubert Allen Astredo plays his part. He never makes a flub, nor do you ever see him looking over at the teleprompter trying to read his lines. His facial expressions are also very well matched to his character.  My parents also watch the show with me at night (I tape it for them) and my dad, who is 81 and very up on the show also remarked about this.

I also like Thayer David alot more this time around and have noticed just how unique an actor his is.  He's had quite a few characters to play on the show and he plays each one out so convincing. Some of his characters are as different as night & day, yet he's so believable in all of them.

[spoiler]I also like seeing Harry Johnson on the show and enjoy the scenes between him and his mother. (I think they really do look alike)  It's too bad that they had to drop his character like that with no explanation at all. And then when they decided to get that one day replacement for him, it totally ruined the whole character.[/spoiler]
"Calamity Jane"

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2002, 01:09:57 PM »
Well, this should make VAM happy, but I've come to appreciate Lara Parker a bit more.  I still don't think she's anything great as an actress, but she plays her part with great conviction and she's usually entertaining.

I appreciate her Cassandra more every time I see the episodes.

Is it April Fool's Day? :) Yes  Luciaphil,  I am happy for Miss Parker not myself.

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2002, 07:36:53 PM »
[spoiler]I also like seeing Harry Johnson on the show and enjoy the scenes between him and his mother.( I think they really do look alike)  It's too bad that they had to drop his character like that with no explanation at all. And then when they decided to get that one day replacement for him, it totally ruined the whole character. [/spoiler]
I totally agree with you on all of this! What a big let down.  >:(
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2002, 09:01:27 PM »
When I was fourteen it never occurred to me that Grayson Hall was attractive.

Now that I'm .....older...... I think it's remarkable how attractive she actually was, and incredible that I couldn't see it before.

I also didn't pay enough attention to Thayer David.  Back 'then' I saw Prof. Stokes as someone who might have saved Willie from Barnabas and resented his failure to do so.  Now I'm just amazed at how versatile the actor was and how well written his part was....tho I think it's still a mystery why HIS part is so well written in comparison to others.

Rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2002, 09:26:12 PM »
I also didn't pay enough attention to Thayer David.  Back 'then' I saw Prof. Stokes as someone who might have saved Willie from Barnabas and resented his failure to do so.  Now I'm just amazed at how versatile the actor was and how well written his part was....tho I think it's still a mystery why HIS part is so well written in comparison to others.

He made changes to the script...KLS made the statement at a FRIGTVISION Q & A.

Offline DSFAN4EVER

• Junior Poster
  • ...yeah, yeah I know BIG TEETH run in our family!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2002, 10:15:19 PM »
The character which I enjoy most has to be "Cassandralique".  Lara Parker brings to life these characters in a very convincing way.  She exumes Evil and beauty like no one else can on the show.

The character which I can't seem to warm up to is Eve.
For some reason, she justs rubs me the wrong way.

For what it's worth, I think Willie is pretty good too.
His diologue with Banabas while in the cell yesterday was very touching.  
PEACE TO ALL!!!!

DSFAN4EVER

Offline CD_Tate

• Junior Poster
  • I'm soooo artistic.
    • View Profile
    • Pix:
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2002, 10:36:23 PM »
He made changes to the script...KLS made the statement at a FRIGHTVISION Q & A.

Ahh...  It all starts to come together.  I've always thought it odd that Thayer's characters like the Professor and the Count were so...   let's say "authentically sophisticated" compared to the others.  Besides being a fine performance, they always did seem better written, as Rainypark says...

Even servile Ben had a certain complexity that I never saw duplicated in Barnabas's other minion, Willie--although John Karlen was more than his match for energy and passion...

I think Thayer must have been a remarkable person...