Author Topic: TIME TURNS  (Read 3157 times)

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
Re: TIME TURNS
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2002, 10:50:33 PM »
Like ProfStokes, I too have come to appreciate Robert Rodan quite a bit more than the first time I saw this story line (and this is only my second viewing of it). Once I got past the absurdity of the material, I was impressed with the way he developed with his character. I found him enchanting in several early scenes before his character could speak.

I'm also more impressed with Marie Wallace as Eve; I never cared for the character but I became more impressed with the actress when she played Jenny in 1897. This time I can appreciate her abilities more as "Eve."

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2002, 11:03:20 PM »
I concur with people:
Clarice Blackburn (couldn't stand her my 1st time 'round)
and
Marie Wallace

Since I've seen a few of her characters; she does have range.

I haven't like any of her characters, but, she does have range.

Funny, though, let's flip the quarter...who I've learned to dislike is Barnabas.

I also used to like.....v i c k i ::)

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2002, 05:08:59 AM »
Two actors in particular come to mind for me.  First Chris Pennock was pretty unconvincing in the beginning as the Leviathan but he just seemed to get better and better as the story line evolved.  I really began to appreciate him as Gabriel.

But the one actor who brought out the best in everyone was Dennis Patrick.  The man could act. He always seemed so well prepared and I don't recall ever seeing him looking at the teleprompter. Still, he could really 'ham' it up at times but I find that all the more endearing.  He had some terrific scenes with Roger, Liz, Barnabas and Willie.  I also like the confrontation he had with Carolyn when he caught her reading his diary.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2002, 06:12:55 AM »
Well, to tell you the truth - and maybe I've been partially influenced by the positive vibes coming from our own Craig_Slocum's undying love for him which appears to be matched only by Annie's unending amour for the Q-Man  ;) - I've been rethinking my original opinion of Slocum's acting skills somewhat this time around.  I honestly couldn't see anything much at all in him the first time but now I think he does a pretty decent parasitic good for nothing (that was a compliment BTW  ;) ).

Ditto that!

Also, HAA, I am just loving him this time around. I used to think he was a big ham. I don't know why the turn around, but I now think he is really, really great.

Roger Davis gets more annoying as time goes on. I shudder to think of what that effect will have on Amanda Harris/Olivia Corey.  Gruesome thought.

While I continue to adore Jonathon Frid and how he played the role, I find myself less and less enchanted with Barney.

I wasn't madly in love with Roger until this go round. I think the initial part of the show did it for me. He hates his kid? He drives drunk, hits someone and sends someone else to prison for it? Hey, that's MY KIND OF MAN! No, really, just his wit and snobbery did it for me.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline lurkerintheshadows

• Junior Poster
  • Barnabas?Is that you?.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2002, 07:08:48 AM »
I found the watering down of barnabas sad.In the beginning he seemed more substantive,but as the show goes on he loses his "deep" characterization and becomes vapid and a playboy running after younger "women".Of course that wasn't frids fault.He just worked with the material he got as best as could be under the circumstances.

Julia also loses her strong independent woman characterization from the beginning and becomes dependent on a man who doesn't seem to love her,but she loves to a fault.Although there are moments when she regains her independence for little spurts,she always crumbles around barnabas.I guess hope does spring eternal.

I'm appreciating thayer david's characters all the more the second time around.He plays them with panache and style.He infuses wit and wisdom that is sorely missing on the show.He gets an A+ from me.

I also hate the fact maggie evans and victoria are watered down from women with something of a clue to complete idiots just about.Both started out well,but went down hill with (almost) everyone else."I don't understand" is a common phrase at this time instead of the brow creasing and think it out.

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2002, 03:16:02 AM »

I also like seeing Harry Johnson on the show and enjoy the scenes between him and his mother.( I think they really do look alike)

Last night while I was watching the rest of the week's tapes I remembered what you said (above) Cassandra and so I watched their scene together in the foyer more closely than I normally would have.  And I completely agree! I think I can see it most in their noses and shape of the faces.  Amazing! I wonder if this had anything at all to do with the decision to cast Craig Slocum?
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2013, 04:33:04 PM »
I loved Barnabas from day one and continue to do so from day one! I'm as enthralled with him now as I was when I was a kid.  Though perhaps I am more aware of how self-absorbed and selfish he can be at times and can understand why some on here can get annoyed with him at times. I don't agree he was 'watered' down....his chasing after SYT's did get tiresome but he was still very much a complex character.

I appreciate Nancy Barrett now much more than when I was younger. I used to think Joan Bennett was the best actress on the show and while I still like Joan very much I know see that Nancy was very much versatile in her roles. She was such a hoot as Charity/Pansy and Leticia, wonderfully ditzy as Millicent (though Millicent wasn't one of my favs, she still did a good job) and matured Carolyn from the wild spitfire at the beginning of the show to the more mature, sensible woman she became by the end of the show (though she still needed classes on character judgments during the Leviathans....she was totally wrong about Bruno being 'harmless' and she was as blind as a bat where Jeb in his killing machine phase was concerned). I also felt for Melanie, desperately trying to fit into a family that treats her like a child and a prisoner at times.

I am sorry but I have always felt and still do that Harry Johnson was a throwaway character that was not needed on the show. Take him out of the show and I honestly would not have missed him (Sorry Cheryl if you're still out there!). It was already established that Mrs. Johnson had a daughter during the early days of the show...I think it would have been wiser to have introduced her instead.