Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0982  (Read 2369 times)

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0982
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2010, 07:27:57 AM »
One of the things that I really like about the Quentin aspect of this storyline is that right from the outset it's established that Quentin is a damaged and pained man - and it soon becomes apparent that his oftentimes bizarre and even cruel behavior is because of that pain. But the intriguing thing is that we're not quite sure from where/what his pain stems. There are some assumptions one can make along the way. But will they stand up? Only time will tell...

[spoiler]He's playing Maxim de Winter. A pained and damaged man. Why? Because of his nasty ass wife. I am still trying to figure out who is playing George Sander's part. Probably nobody. But that's beside the point.
This storyline is pure thievery from Rebecca. As I've stated earlier, Selby does a stellar job playing de Winter. His anguish, crabbiness, his time of the month sensibility stems from his pure hatred of his wife's philandering nature right in front of his face. This much is intimated every time a man speaks of Angelique.
I must admit that it's painful to watch these DS episodes purely because of the outright thievery of one of Hitchcock's best pictures. I simply don't know how much more I can stand. Sorry, folks, but there it is. The best part of this whole thing is Grayson Hall's portrayal of "Danny".[/spoiler]
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2010, 06:22:34 PM »
I feel the same way (as in your spoiler), Janet.   When they steal a story, the only bits of interest for me are the deviations from that story, and it's just too close here.   It all leads up to the same climactic scene [spoiler]at the window, where Maggie's urged to jump.[/spoiler]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2010, 06:44:13 AM »
Has anyone spotted Jeremiah's portrait in PT?  It obviously isn't over the fireplace as in regular time; how different was Jeremiah's history from his RT counterpart, do you suppose?  I see that the portrait-that-resembles-Joshua has a slightly more prominent location in the drawing room in this storyline.

Parallel time Collinwood has a rooster too?!

After three years, it is very easy to forget that Barnabas is living - or anyway, undead - history.  What did he think when he heard the news that King Louis XVI had been guillotined?  And was poor Louis XVI guillotined in parallel time?

But wouldn't Barnabas already know this since the execution happened in his lifetime?  Or did I misunderstand what you're saying?

So which is worse, tannic acid or booze?

I thought tea contained tannin, not tannic acid.  But with this viewing, I am really noticing the amount of booze that Will consumes.

[spoiler]I must admit that it's painful to watch these DS episodes purely because of the outright thievery of one of Hitchcock's best pictures. I simply don't know how much more I can stand. Sorry, folks, but there it is.[/spoiler]

I am not a big fan of this storyline, but I wonder if it's fair to harshly judge it based solely on it being a ripoff of a major movie.  The writing indeed relies heavily on du Maurier's story, but at different times, DS plots have also borrowed from Henry James, Emily Brontė, RL Stevenson, Mary Shelley, HP Lovecraft, EA Poe, etc.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2010, 08:09:07 PM »
We as individuals sense whether a storyline seems to use an old story and do something with it, or steal a storyline just to have a storyline, and in other words, not do something original enough with it.   Sure, DS took old stories right and left, DC probably wore out more than one Rolodex... but presenting Jeckyl and Hyde when that had already become so familiar to the public that it was a joke, and lifting the Rebecca situation, with the same exact climax... I'm not alone apparently in being frustrated by this.

PT is still better than most of Leviathans, the end anyway.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2010, 08:21:19 PM »
I couldn't disagree with you more Magnus - but this topic is much too early within the storyline to get into why. I'll save my points for later on...

PT is still better than most of Leviathans, the end anyway.

Though on this we can definitely agree.  [ghost_wink]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2010, 12:21:52 AM »
After three years, it is very easy to forget that Barnabas is living - or anyway, undead - history.  What did he think when he heard the news that King Louis XVI had been guillotined?  And was poor Louis XVI guillotined in parallel time?

But wouldn't Barnabas already know this since the execution happened in his lifetime?  Or did I misunderstand what you're saying?
What I meant was: way back in 1793, what did Barnabas, as an ordinary human being, think when he heard the news of the regicide?  And wouldn't it be amazing to be able to ask him about it?

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2010, 12:43:39 AM »
Got it.  I thought you were saying he would be the one doing the asking, silly me.  Thanks for your patience!