Author Topic: Barnabas's Best Moments  (Read 3703 times)

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
Barnabas's Best Moments
« on: August 10, 2002, 06:48:01 PM »
When Barnabas decided to go to Collinwood and "tell all" to the family. .admitting his part in what had happened and promised to try and exonerate Julia. .  .I thought that was one of his more mature and self-less moments. . .(and a 2nd declaration that he feel a sincere friendship for Julia  rather than the advesarial or full of self-interest thing he had going on earlier).  

What are some other purely selfless and good/mature Barnabas moments?
Julia99

Offline MrsJ

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Barnabas's Best Moments
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2002, 08:08:52 PM »
When Barnabas decided to go to Collinwood and "tell all" to the family. .admitting his part in what had happened and promised to try and exonerate Julia. .  .I thought that was one of his more mature and self-less moments. . .(and a 2nd declaration that he feel a sincere friendship for Julia  rather than the advesarial or full of self-interest thing he had going on earlier).  

Purely selfless...hmmm...I'm thinking...there must be something...

This may not exactly qualify, but it did show a twinge of conscience on his part.  Back in his early Vicki obsession days, when Barn. was still a vampire, Vicki stayed overnight at the Old House due to one of those infamous storms (scandalous, really!)  Anyway, after she is asleep (in Josette's room of course) Barn. sneaks into her room and stands at her bedside, staring at her invitingly exposed neck.  He starts to approach her with fangs bared, then stops himself and backs away, silently closing the door as the unsuspecting Miss Winters continues her slumber.
That has always been, for me, one of the most powerful scenes Frid gave as Barnabas.  Everything worked for me...the lighting, music, and Frid's subtle use of body language and expression.  

So...what was the question again??

MrsJ.

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2002, 09:12:46 PM »
In 1840, while watching the scene in the parallel time room between Catherine Harridge and Bramwell Collins and then his realization and willingness to admit he really did love Angelique.
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline MikeS

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2002, 09:38:51 PM »
To spare Vicki further torment, he insisted she tell him her dream, even though he thought he would become a vampire again after having the dream himself.

Offline tripwire

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2002, 09:35:25 AM »
when barnabas declared to willie that he would "do away with dr. hoffman, now" and the fly began to interfere with his performence, he gently waved at it, instead of getting the collinsport gazette and attacking it   ;D
its a sudden death that i know, my father wrote me to say that, my cousin, uncle jeremiah was, was very disturbed.

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2002, 11:30:16 AM »
Way back in 1795 Barnabas told Ben in the Masoleum that he was going to Collinwood to tell his family about the curse and what he had become in order to spare them any more grief.  However, he never got past the gate. Angelique's ghost stopped him by locking him in, so that was the end of that. ;)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2002, 11:13:08 PM »
To me Barnabas' Best Moment will always be when Barnabas, taking the chance he will not be found by his Mother, goes to see little Sarah, :'( while holding her in his arms she tells him of her love for him "I love you Barnabas... and always will"  where she dies in her brother's embrace.  :'(
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2002, 02:58:52 AM »
when barnabas declared to willie that he would "do away with dr. hoffman, now" and the fly began to interfere with his performence, he gently waved at it, instead of getting the collinsport gazette and attacking it   ;D

Ohhhhhh, TOO funny!
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2002, 05:24:56 AM »

SPOILER

The best Barnabas moment for me was when Harry found him on the ground in the woods, after he'd been bitten by Angelique the vampire. When Harry took him back to Collinwood, and Barnabas was bombarded with Mrs. Johnson's questions, he handled the situation well.
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2002, 12:21:47 PM »
SPOILER!

This is something that will be happening on the show shortly.

Barnabas, risking his life and tossing himself into terrifying situations, wills himself back to 1796 in order to save Vicki from the gallows and unite her with her true love, Peter Bradford (Jeff Clark).

He reverts back to being a vampire and must deal with the return of Angelique and other difficulties before successfully saving Vicki and sending her off with Bradford to live out her life in the 18th century.  Given that Barnabas himself loved Vicki desperately, this was, by far, his most unselfish and shining moment.

Love, Robin

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2002, 01:17:25 AM »
This probably doesn't qualify as a "selfless" moment, but by far I think Barnabas' best moment was the time he first told the story of Josette to Vicki and Carolyn during the thunderstorm (early B/W episode). He had this enormously long monologue and never missed a beat; the emotion was so real, the atmosphere so haunting, it was a very genuine moment.

Another incident that stands out in my mind was during the seance when Sarah began to speak through Vicki and he tried to stop it - but he had to catch himself because he started to say "This is cruel . . . " then quickly glanced around to see if anyone caught on. The response here was also very genuine.

Just a couple of my favorite Barnabas moments.

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2002, 09:25:50 AM »
Another self-less moment I remember with Barnabas was when Dr.Lang wanted to use Jeff's face for the experiment.  At first Barnabas was all for it because of his love for Vicky. But as soon as he overheard Vicky's torment about how worried she was about Jeff, he used that same love for her to decide against the whole face thing.  I thought that was a pretty self-less act on his part.  ;)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2002, 03:44:43 AM »
Gosh, it took me long enough to come up with something....he DIDN'T kill Naggie on numerous occasions. (Which may be more than I would be capable of).  [batang]
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2002, 10:58:46 AM »
Gosh, it took me long enough to come up with something....he DIDN'T kill Naggie on numerous occasions. (Which may be more than I would be capable of).  [batang]

LOL!! And for him not to have killed Jeff Clark on a number of occasions he had to have had the patience of a saint!!
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2002, 10:59:17 PM »
Well, since we're talking about Barnabas, we have to [shadow=red,left,300]stretch it[/shadow], but 2 examples are:

He told Ben Stokes to try (on numerous occasions) to help Victoria (and, for a change, her problem wasn't of HIS making).

Also, when, after Chrissy Pennock turns him back, Barn goes into P.T. to "avoid hurting Maggie".

Patti
What a Woman!