Author Topic: The most eee-vil WOMAN of the Eighteenth Century!  (Read 3873 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
The most eee-vil WOMAN of the Eighteenth Century!
« on: August 08, 2002, 10:24:06 PM »
I had such vivid memories of watching this bit of the story way back when.  When the announcement that DS was going to be released on home video was first made, there were several episodes I recalled that I knew I would enjoy seeing them, and the one where Stokes declared Eve's as the spirit of the most evil WOMAN who ever lived in the Eighteenth Century was one of them.  

You can tell that Leona is eee-vil because she talks and dresses like a drag queen.  Where DID she get that hairpiece, anyhow--the Cassandra Collins Wig Barn?

I think it would have been more interesting to have continued the Philippe Cordier story.  Perhaps Jonathan Frid could have played Philippe in flashbacks to Danielle's infamous past during the Terror.  He did a marvelous job being possessed by Philippe during that seance.

What they shifted the story to, in my opinion, considerably deadens (excuse the pun) the interest in Eve's story.  I do think that Marie Wallace gave a marvelous performance in the role.  And I think she looks great in that black cocktail dress, even if it is faintly absurd that that is how she was dressed for her first day on Earth.  I bet Erica Fitz was ready to kill when she saw that dress.

There's a rather touching tale that a fan wrote about Julia shopping for Eve's dress... can't recall now just where I read it.  

Poor Motherless Eve ...

Gothick

Offline Daphne

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • C&B4E
    • View Profile
    • ..::Shadows.in.a.Mirror::..
Re: The most eee-vil WOMAN of the Eighteenth Century!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2002, 10:43:13 PM »
And she wanted to kill Carolyn, too!!! GRRR!!! [smash]!!! I was wondering why they didn't summon Lucretia Borgia or something ... that woulda been really funnie.

And in the scene where she was laying down while talking to Adam .... OMG! I was like "CLOSE UR LEGS!" Skirts/dresses back then were soooo short!  :o How did people wear that? LOL
"Dude, the difference between your moods is like night and day!" || "Surely someone must have given you something ... !?"
D&Q,L&D,C&B&T&J&B&A4E!&S2 ^_^

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2002, 12:11:24 AM »

I think it would have been more interesting to have continued the Philippe Cordier story.  Perhaps Jonathan Frid could have played Philippe in flashbacks to Danielle's infamous past during the Terror.  He did a marvelous job being possessed by Philippe during that seance.

I think the creation of new character "Danielle Roget" was meant to re-establish Victoria's trip to 1795 with a bit of back-story embellishment. Unfortunately, it goes all over the place and ends up not making much sense.

"Danielle" was summoned by Nicholas and in human form posing as "Leona Eltridge" I assume this is what she looked like in life. However, later (spoiler warning)

Angelique sends Eve back in time to relive a moment w/Peter Bradford in 1795, and she looks like Eve instead of Danielle Roget/Leona Eltridge. That didn't make any sense. Plus the whole backstory w/Eve being in love with Jeff Clark was boring.

It occurred to me how great it would have been to summon the spirit of SUKI FORBES instead of "Danielle Roget," if they intended to milk the 1795 connection. It would have been equally interesting to have Suki play not only the life force but the body host as well. A great way not only for a new connection to 1795, but for more involvement w/Joe Haskell, who Suki might see as Nathan Forbes. Jane Draper was so enjoyable as Suki it's a shame they never brought her back.

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2002, 12:17:49 AM »
These episodes were probably my favorites this week...the storyline has become sooooooooo boring and I wish I could come after Adam with a pitchfork. I thought the entire sensations thing was just hillarious..aren't those called reflexes? *Shrug* And it reminded me about that convo about Eve's undergarments...I can see this happening if Willie was there:

Julia: I'm gonna test her sensations.
Barnabas: I don't think she has any.
Willie: O' course she does! I made sure she had sensations when I dug up the grave!

I like Eve..she's mean to Adam which is a maaajoorr plus in my book.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2002, 02:03:17 AM »

It occurred to me how great it would have been to summon the spirit of SUKI FORBES instead of "Danielle Roget," if they intended to milk the 1795 connection. It would have been equally interesting to have Suki play not only the life force but the body host as well. A great way not only for a new connection to 1795, but for more involvement w/Joe Haskell, who Suki might see as Nathan Forbes. Jane Draper was so enjoyable as Suki it's a shame they never brought her back.

I was thinking the exact same thing, Chris! As I watched the materialization of Danni Ragu I kept picturing the Suki Forbes character (especially in that dress) and about how it would have been great to use Jane Draper again. I never got as far as you though regarding the 1795 connection. You are very clever.

dom

Offline Afan

• Full Poster
  • Another body from Collinwood for me to autopsy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2002, 02:15:38 AM »
:D  I am new to this, and may make mistakes.
Love your comments.
A Fan
Where are they getting these bodies, Mulder,  are they making them?

Afan

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2002, 02:19:38 AM »

It would have been equally interesting to have Suki play not only the life force but the body host as well. A great way not only for a new connection to 1795, but for more involvement w/Joe Haskell, who Suki might see as Nathan Forbes. Jane Draper was so enjoyable as Suki it's a shame they never brought her back.

The Joe Haskell character was already involved in a subplot of the Eve/Adam storyline (with Angelique as a Vampire) and it might have confused the writers even more...
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2002, 02:39:40 AM »
I had such vivid memories of watching this bit of the story way back when.  When the announcement that DS was going to be released on home video was first made, there were several episodes I recalled that I knew I would enjoy seeing them, and the one where Stokes declared Eve's as the spirit of the most evil WOMAN who ever lived in the Eighteenth Century was one of them.  

You can tell that Leona is eee-vil because she talks and dresses like a drag queen.  Where DID she get that hairpiece, anyhow--the Cassandra Collins Wig Barn?

What they shifted the story to, in my opinion, considerably deadens (excuse the pun) the interest in Eve's story.  I do think that Marie Wallace gave a marvelous performance in the role.  And I think she looks great in that black cocktail dress, even if it is faintly absurd that that is how she was dressed for her first day on Earth.  I bet Erica Fitz was ready to kill when she saw that dress.

There's a rather touching tale that a fan wrote about Julia shopping for Eve's dress... can't recall now just where I read it.  

Poor Motherless Eve ...

Gothick

Daaahling, you made me sca-ream not one, not two, not three nor even four times - but five!!! (That very well may be a record, hon.) You are too, too, much! I knew I could count on you.

I did scream on my own today when I saw Eve rise to get up off the gurney. Girlfriend had on shoes! And with heels! (I have a pair just like them that I wear - but only when I vacuum; No Freddie Mercury references please...). I was waiting for someone to hand her a cocktail! LOL.

For me the series at this point will be a scream-fest as I absolutely relish each and every response Eve has for Adam; Either about him or especially to his face - Providing much needed comic relief to this almost preposterous storyline. And it doesn't help much that every time I read the name "Eve", I hear it as Bette Davis spoke it so deliciously throughout the film, All About Eve. EEEVE...

Happy Dom

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2002, 02:44:34 AM »
:D  I am new to this, and may make mistakes.
Love your comments.
A Fan

Welcome, A fan! You picked a great thread for your first post. "See" ya around.

Dom

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2002, 06:06:21 AM »
Prof S was at his best today but agree Eve was good today
s
p
o
i
l
e
r

too bad they ruined her by having her chase after old Jeffy boy!(Call me Jeff not Peter!) ;D

Also Welcome afan too! :)
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Anubis

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2002, 06:49:26 AM »
It cracked me up when Stokes said that she committed every crime, I mean come on "every" crime?!?

Offline tripwire

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2002, 07:02:11 AM »
It cracked me up when Stokes said that she committed every crime, I mean come on "every" crime?!?

could see her stealing horses in that getup.....also about

spoiler

eve knowing peter bradford, boy is that a stretch, stokes did say she came over to the u.s. but as smart as he was, didnt know that she was in collinsport, and that she knew his ancestor....lol......almost as ridiculous as bradford knowing jeb from that time period.... ?!?
its a sudden death that i know, my father wrote me to say that, my cousin, uncle jeremiah was, was very disturbed.

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2002, 08:48:03 AM »
Welcome, Afan!! :)  Don't worry about mistakes.  We all make them and no one pays much attention!

And, if you're talking about typos, an advantage of a board like this is that one can go back afterwards and edit it !!  I've done it a lot!!!!

Josette

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2002, 09:02:48 AM »
Hey, Welcome back Gothick, haven't seen you here in awhile & missed your posts. :)

I had to laugh when I saw Eve "being born" and wearing that black dress, black stockings & heels as if she were heading off to a nightclub or something. I wonder who's idea it was for that?

You know I never noticed this before about Leona and her masculine appearance until my dad who had been watching the show with us yesterday commented on it, (mind you now, he's 81 & still noticed it)  It's funny how you notice things the second time around that you didn't notice before.

Spoiler...............Spoiler..............Spoiler.............Spoiler...

I agree with you Chris, the whole Jeff Clark/Danielle Roget business made no sense what so ever. Why on earth would she take a liking to him? The two are more mismatched than Adam & Eve are.  I could see her take a liking to Nathan Forbes before I could see her liking Jeff Clark.

Welcome to the group Afan!  :)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2002, 06:50:23 PM »
If Nicky Blair really wanted the most evil woman in the world for Eve's life force, then why didn't he get Martha Stewart?

Anya explains it all in dialogue from a season 6 Buffy episode, "Wrecked":

ANYA: Martha Stewart isn't a demon! She's a witch...

XANDER: Really?

ANYA: Of course. Nobody can do that much decoupage without calling on the powers of darkness...
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...