Author Topic: Most disturbing DS moments  (Read 12084 times)

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile

Oddly enough, I find Olivia Corey much more disturbing than Amanda Harris.  Not sure why.

?!?

Couldn't be all the framed 8x10 glossies of herself that she evidently toted around on her travels and saw fit to decorate her hotel room with, could it?  Naaah, of course not  8)

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
Re: Most disturbing DS moments
« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2002, 01:16:26 AM »
I agree with Cassandra - there is nothing more disturbing than the shreiking and whining of

Hallie Stokes!

When I was little the most disturbing scene I remember was when the headless body in 1840 sat up from under the leaves where it was hidden. Had nightmares about that. Also, I recall that after the children brought Daphne to life, she was trapped in the dollhouse and Gerard set it on fire. Even at the age of 6 I was able to grasp the concept of her having been dead, brought back to life, and then threatened with death again. I think she even said something like "No Gerard, don't make me die again." Weird what a 6-year old can comprehend.

Others have already covered the more disturbing aspects of the show like Ben Stoke's gruesome death in 1840 and the murder of Dr. Woodard.

I was also disturbed by the scene in which Angelique tortured poor Sarah by sticking pins into the voodoo doll (although this might have had more impact if little Sharon Smythe had been a tad more convincing.)

Connie - I believe that Karlan left the series for Hollywood during the 1897 story. He only came back to it after DC got a 2-picture deal w/MGM and offered Karlen a chance to be in both films under the proviso that he return to NY and the series.

Connie

« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2002, 04:28:43 AM »

Connie - I believe that Karlan left the series for Hollywood during the 1897 story. He only came back to it after DC got a 2-picture deal w/MGM and offered Karlen a chance to be in both films under the proviso that he return to NY and the series.

Ah - so THAT'S what happened.  Thanks for the info.  I always find this stuff interesting!

(Doesn't excuse the writers killing Carl though).  LOL
I'll never forgive them!

-CLC   :'(

Offline Anubis

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2002, 07:20:56 AM »
For me it was the ghost of Gerard.  When I first saw it when I was a kid it scared me so much.  Last year when I saw it again it still scared me just as much.  The green light he was always in along with that evil look on his face would just give me the shivers.

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2002, 09:10:54 AM »
Welcome to the group Anubis! :)
"Calamity Jane"

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2002, 10:56:21 AM »
SPOILERS.......

Most disturbing moments, serious variety:

1.  The implied rape of Buffie Harrington:  the harsh realism of rape was out of place on a "fantasy" show like DS.

2.  The writers' failure to answer the question of Vicki's parentage.  Granted, the series moved away from it's gothic mystery origins, but Vicki was the central character during that first year, and it seems disrespectful of the writers not to give the character a proper send-off.

3.  Carolyn's scream as the aged Barnabas prepares to bite her in the Old House basement.  I've been known to mute the sound when watching that scene.

Most disturbing moments, humorous variety:

1.  Tom Happer as Jeremy Grimes:  Granted, he was kinda cute--the Ashton Kutcher of his day--but his acting was wretched.  The horrifying moment when he thumped his chest and droned, "Mordecai's son!" is indelibly etched on my brain.

2.  That terrible actor who appeared as a widower during the 1995 Flashforward.  I seriously wonder if DC didn't walk out of the studio before taping time, grab the first guy he saw, took him into the studio, stood him on the set, and told him to read his lines directly off the TelePrompter.

3.  Marilyn Joseph as Lorna Bell.  She was married to Chris Pennock at the time, and her appearance on DS serves as a depressing reminder that, in show business, it's all about who you know rather than talent.  (This also explains the career of Rita Wilson, but that's a topic for another board...) :)

Regards,

John

Connie

« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2002, 11:30:02 AM »

2.  That terrible actor who appeared as a widower during the 1995 Flashforward.  I seriously wonder if DC didn't walk out of the studio before taping time, grab the first guy he saw, took him into the studio, stood him on the set, and told him to read his lines directly off the TelePrompter.

I never saw him.  Don't think I have that episode.  But has anyone mentioned Joanna Mills????   Ugh!  Cringe!  Talk about reading off the TelePrompter!!!  Plus - she'd even call another character by her own name!  It is SO hard to watch and I'm forced to 'cause alot of her scenes are with Quentin.  I don't know how he kept from being thrown off by her total ineptitude, but he did.

3.  Marilyn Joseph as Lorna Bell.  She was married to Chris Pennock at the time, and her appearance on DS serves as a depressing reminder that, in show business, it's all about who you know rather than talent.

I don't remember her being THAT bad.  Was she??  She sort of seemed to fit the character.  LOL

But the "Nails On The Chalkboard Award" for me, would definitely have to go to Hallie Stokes.  Can't watch her...nope...can't do it.

-CLC

Offline ShadowsAtlanta

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2002, 02:15:30 PM »
Claude, you raise some excellent points.  I agree that the implied rape of Buffie Harrington was out of place.  I also totally agree about the loose end of Victoria's parentage.  

Regarding the ghost of Gerard, that reminds me...

s

p

o

i

l

e

r

... I could never figure out why Gerard's sneering visage appeared in 1995 and 1970 instead of Judah Zachery's.  Seems like the possession would have ended upon Gerard's death.  Any thoughts?

Joe   :)

Offline Julian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2002, 05:32:57 PM »
I've really enjoyed reading the responses on this thread.  For me, one of the more disturbing (as well as creepy) things on DS was Ned Stuart's rather obsessive behavior toward his sister Sabrina.  There are a few scenes where he tends to handle her a bit too much.  Also, when David and Amy are first possessed by Quentin and Beth, they dress up in period costumes and David looks at Amy and makes some remark about how he really "likes" her.  That was a really disturbing scene - in fact the whole story about the two children being manipulated by the spirits was.

Offline Anubis

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2002, 06:57:03 AM »
Thanks for the welcome Cassandra.  It's about time I joined in.  I've been lurking for so long I feel like I know you all.   :)

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2002, 07:33:20 AM »
 It's about time I joined in.  I've been lurking for so long I feel like I know you all.   :)

Welcome Anubis, glad you joined in!  :)
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2002, 09:09:16 AM »
SPOILERS.......

Most disturbing moments, humorous variety:

1.  Tom Happer as Jeremy Grimes:  Granted, he was kinda cute--the Ashton Kutcher of his day--but his acting was wretched.  The horrifying moment when he thumped his chest and droned, "Mordecai's son!" is indelibly etched on my brain.

LOL!!  Im still trying to find out just what the heck he was suppose to do on the show?  Besides being Mordecai's son, I honestly think they just threw him in there to let the viewers know that HALLIE STOKES is no longer playing the part of a 14 year old!!
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2002, 09:52:40 AM »
Welcome, Anubis!! :)  Glad you decided to "de-lurk"!!

Josette

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2002, 11:11:09 AM »
LOL!!  Im still trying to find out just what the heck he was suppose to do on the show?  Besides being Mordecai's son, I honestly think they just threw him in there to let the viewers know that HALLIE STOKES is no longer playing the part of a 14 year old!!

LOL! The unfortunate side effect of Jeremy's presence is that it gave Hallie something else to whine about!

Regards,

John

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2002, 04:49:32 AM »
::)This has been most interesting. I guess I'm not easily disturbed because I really never thought of many of these people as annoying. HOWEVER, I was very much angered at the death of Sarah(1) and it drove me crazy when the Chris Jennings "problem was never solved (2). He just disappeared with Amy. (sorry----spoiler) I thought since the Quentin thing seemed to be taken care of-------well, anyway-------I'm disturbed!!
                            Left hanging, Misty
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!