Author Topic: Most disturbing DS moments  (Read 12086 times)

Offline sheenasma

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Sheena
    • View Profile
    • NancyMck's Dark Shadows Events
Re: Most disturbing DS moments
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2002, 02:51:05 PM »
Upon closer examination, I realized that this thread actually calls for the two most disturbing DS moments. So let me add to my original remarks:

(1) Amanda Harris
(2) Olivia Corey

And Sheenasma will back me up on this.    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I started reading this thread, and had the exact same thing to say....just a dollar short here, agin!
Nancy
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau

Screw Thoreau - sheenasma
GHP

Offline Blue_Whale_Barfly

• Full Poster
  • What do you mean last call!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2002, 03:11:47 PM »
BATHIA MAPES

For that Vam you must go to the house of the curse! ;D

Offline MikeS

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2002, 04:05:55 PM »
Dr. Woodard's murder has little emotional resonance for me--probably because the death scenes were played out by Peter Turgeon instead of Robert Gerringer: the second and best Dr. Woodard.

I agree scout75, the impact of Woodard's death was lessened somewhat by the recast.  Turgeon just couldn't capture the essence of Gerringer's Woodard.  It was almost like watching a different character.
And yet...I still consider Woodard's murder the most disturbing event on DS.  The pure evil of Barnabas' actions, coupled with Julia's betrayal of her good friend (and though she was coerced by Barnabas, it was, ultimately, her choice) was deeply disturbing.  And, when I think of the event, I still think of Gerringer's kindly doctor as the one who was murdered. Had Gerringer actually played out those scenes, I'm sure the emotional impact would have been even more powerful.  

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2002, 04:11:01 PM »

For that Vam you must go to the house of the curse! ;D

ETERNAL PUNISHMENT [angryf]
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2002, 04:48:53 PM »
S
p
p
o
i
l
e
r
s

!Quentin declaring Amamda his one true love and casting Beth aside! Boy that curse affected him more
than was thought!Ick :o
2. Seeing Peter B's ghost come back with that stupid noose around his neckThat was a pretty lame storyline!
#.have to add not solving Chris J's problem made me mad too!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline murph

• Full Poster
  • I love Dark Shadows!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2002, 05:19:30 PM »
S
P
O
I
L
E
R...........................

I know the show is not to be taken too seriously but I do wish Dan Curtis would have hired a continuity person.  
In 1970 we learn that Roxanne is a vampire and became one in 1840.  Soon Barnabus and Julia travel back to 1840 and we learn it was Barnabus that turned Roxanne into a vampire.  The only problem is that in 1840 Barnabus was still chained in his coffin so he could not have bitten Roxanne in 1840 so that in 1970 she is still a vampire.  

I have loved the show since I was a kid and I still do.  I just wish the writers would have done a little more research so the continuity of the stories would have been better.

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2002, 06:11:22 PM »
I know the show is not to be taken too seriously but I do wish Dan Curtis would have hired a continuity person.  

I have loved the show since I was a kid and I still do.  I just wish the writers would have done a little more research so the continuity of the stories would have been better.

Welcome to the club...
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2002, 07:19:09 PM »
Hey gang,

I could say something extremely puerile about Nicholas Blair's hairstyle or Joe Haskell's alleged "taste" in clothes, but I'd like to think that I'm too mature to stoop to that level.

By the way, Blue Whale Barfly, God Bless You!!!  You'll be a saint in Heaven for defending Dark Shadows answer to Mother Theresa, Bathia Mapes.  (And, shame on you, VAM!)

However, my vote for the most disturbing moment and/or plot line on DS has to be Barnabas' unconscionable treatment of Maggie and Sam Evans.  I can't even begin to list all of the truly lousy things that Mr. B. has done to that family.  Suffice it to say, with a friend like Barnabas....

Sincerely,

Bob the Bartender, who, on behalf of the late Mr. Sam Evans, would like to say: "Et tu, Barnabas?"

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2002, 07:36:07 PM »
SPOILERS

My two (first time around as a kid, not having seen the complete series) most disturbing moments were:

The shooting death of Julia in 1897 by an unknowing Barnabas as set up by Aristede. At that time I didn't know death was incidental. I thought she was dead and off the show and I was devastated!

The other was the on-screen (and very graphic) molestation of Maggie Evans by John Yeager (I guess that was 1970 PT?). I was both horrified and physically disgusted. I'd never seen anything like that on TV before and to have it happen to innocent Maggie, well it made me sick to my stomach (especially when he started licking his chops). I just didn't see it coming and I would have never expected to.

Dom (Who was a stupid kid and thought verbal bloopers and flies buzzing the studio were done on purpose to create a realism never before seen on TV.)

Offline ShadowsAtlanta

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2002, 07:45:16 PM »
Wow!  You folks have thrown some really interesting things into the ring -- several things I'd forgotten about but which are definitely, well, disturbing.   :)

I do want to address two things mentioned here, namely Bathia Mapes and Amanda Harris.  I must say that I think the moment with Bathia Mapes forgetting (and being fed) her lines is one of the most hilarious moments not just on DS, but on any tv show I've ever seen!  I have to cut her some slack for that!!   :D

As for Amanda Harris:  there is so much animosity towards this character!  Why?  I don't get it...  I've heard similar sentiments from several people but have never quite identified what is so objectionable about her behavior and/or demeanor.  Thoughts?

Joe   :)

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2002, 07:49:33 PM »
1) Nicholas Blair's Hairstyle
2) Joe Haskell's alleged 'taste' in clothes
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2002, 08:57:32 PM »
As for Amanda Harris:  there is so much animosity towards this character!  Why?  

She is the female equivalent of Jeffy Clark. At least that is how she strikes me and obviously, quite a few others. Of course, we all have our least favorite actors/characters and fortunately, we don't ALL agree on them!
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2002, 10:37:14 PM »

She is the female equivalent of Jeffy Clark. At least that is how she strikes me and obviously, quite a few others. Of course, we all have our least favorite actors/characters and fortunately, we don't ALL agree on them!

And don't forget HALLIE STOKES!                                
"Calamity Jane"

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2002, 10:52:18 PM »
Potential spoilers. . .

The first time I watched Barnabas and Julia murdering Dr. Woodard, I was only 13 and felt as if I were watching something I shouldn't be.  Although the episode was blunted by the use of a totally different actor as Dave Woodard, it was nevertheless extremely disturbing to me.  I had already developed a crush on Barnabas, and wondered how I could care for a man who would do such a dreadful thing to a fellow human being.

David's attempt to murder his father by removing the bleeder valve from his car--that a nine-year-old boy would even think of doing such a thing was terribly upsetting to me.  Along the same line was David locking Vicki in a deserted room in the East Wing of the house, intending for her to die there.  Again, for a child so young, that was quite hard to watch.

Love, Robin      

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2002, 05:23:35 AM »
Willie Loomis is my favorite character.....but I have to admit I always found his relationship to Barnabas Collins deeply disturbing.

When I first watched as a teenager, it was like watching the "slow" kid in class get the crap kicked out of him on the playground by little bastards who thought they were "so tough".

My absolute horror and disbelief  that other people actually  found Barnabas sexy or attractive was really based on my furious (but futile) desire to protect that tormented kid.

Pretty powerful stuff for 'just a soap opera'!!

Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas