Author Topic: "Starring Joan CRAWFORD as Elizabeth Collins Stoddard"  (Read 3230 times)

ClaudeNorth

"Starring Joan CRAWFORD as Elizabeth Collins Stoddard"
« on: August 02, 2002, 05:47:14 AM »
I just finished watching TCM's new documentary on Joan Crawford and found myself thinking what DS would have been like if JC had been cast as Elizabeth instead of Joan Bennett.

I honestly think JC would have made a terrific Liz, although she probably would have been more imperious in the role than JB ever was.  

Also, I suspect that the Blue Whale would have been serving a lot of Pepsi Cola, and that Pepsi would have been the soft drink of choice in the coffee shop, too.

And just imagine JC and Grayson acting opposite each other!!!!!

Regards,

John

Offline kuanyin

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: "Starring Joan CRAWFORD as Elizabeth Collins Stoddard"
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2002, 06:57:21 AM »
It was an interesting show. Have to wonder how the two would or wouldn't get along.

My grandpa used to know Crawford when she was young. Her mother was a waitress then and my grandpa delivered cookies to the restaurant. He didn't like her. That's about all I know of it.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline CandleLighter

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2002, 07:06:58 AM »
I can envision Joan Crawford as Elizabeth confronting Mrs. Johnson..
NO...MORE...WIRE...HANGERS !!!!

(someone had to be the one to say it  ;D )

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2002, 08:41:37 AM »
Just saw that too! now she was scary!
She would have made Liz very interesting to watch!
She could have filled in that time Nancy B was sick
like she did for her daughter
Christina in the Secret Storm Wish they had that tape
on the show tonight That must have been a Hoot to  see! :o

jennifer

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Tanis

• Full Poster
  • I Love Dark Shadows
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2002, 11:07:14 PM »
Picture Mrs. Johnson on her hands and knees on the floor with Liz (Joan) shaking cleanser ( ajax, comet, etc.) all over the place, poor Mrs. Johnson trying to clean it up.

Tanis
There are no strangers, only friends we've yet to meet.

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2002, 05:02:36 AM »
She could have filled in that time Nancy B was sick
like she did for her daughter
Christina in the Secret Storm Wish they had that tape
on the show tonight That must have been a Hoot to  see! :o

I agree.  I would love to see those episodes.  The next time I'm in NY, I'm going to check the Museum of TV and Radio.  It's possible they have them in their archive.

Regards,

John

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2002, 06:44:03 AM »
I agree.  I would love to see those episodes.  The next time I'm in NY, I'm going to check the Museum of TV and Radio.  It's possible they have them in their archive.

oh let me know John i mean how weird was that!
she was in her 60's playing someone in her 20s!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2002, 08:56:56 PM »
There is an "urban legend" of sorts that Miss Crawford was being possibly considered for the part, but her reputation made them nix the thought almost right from the beginning.  But she would've been great as Elizabeth Collins Stoddard.

Gerard

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2002, 09:02:52 PM »
I'm a member of MTR, and I have searched for episodes of "The Secret Storm", but no luck.  I can't believe that CBS was so stupid not to preserve those historic episodes featuring Joan Crawford!  But then again, ALL of the networks were notorious for reusing the videotapes their soaps were recorded on after a period of time, with the rationale of "Tape's expensive, and besides, who the hell wants to see a soap opera rerun?"  This was the practice (even with Proctor & Gamble!) until about 1979, when the networks and P&G finally began preserving its tapes with the new outlet of foreign syndication in mind.  Of course, the success of the DS reruns in the 1970s was also a deciding factor.  We should ALL be lucky that as an independent producer Dan Curtis was able to save his tapes!!  This was also the case with "Strange Paradise" and both "Days Of Our Lives" and "The Young & The Restless", which are partly owned by Columbia Pictures Television.  At MTR, you can see several color 1970s episodes of DOOL and Y&R, as their archives are complete- with DOOL, this goes back to show#1 in November 1965!!  The "Days" folks have been able to use clips from the 60's & 70s in special episodes,, and all in color!!  Back to the Crawford episodes- I do have a suspicion that there MAY be a color tape out there.  Here's why:  until 1969, "The Secret Storm" was owned & produced by its sponsor, American Home Products.  There's every chance there may be some pre-'69 episodes in some tape vault.  

Recently there was a big noise over the discovery of several hundred vintage "Hollywood Squares" shows from the 60s & 70s with Paul Lynde, Peter Marshall, Cliff "Charley Weaver" Arquette, Wally Cox & Rose Marie.  You can thank -SUPRISE!- Jim Pierson for this.  Apparently, he and some people were searching some LA tape vaults for any possible missing DS video masters before the DVD releases began, and came across the long- missing "Hollywood Squares" material.  Since Joan Crawford made her appearances on "TSS" prior to the show's 1969 sale to CBS, there may be a slim chance that someone may have archived these episodes SOMEHERE.  Believe me- stranger things have happened.  Personally, I'm still holding out hope that there are color tapes of "General Hospital" from 1967-77 out there in a vault in either NY or LA.  Let's not forget the miraculous recovery of the lost NODS footage......

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2002, 12:37:45 AM »
a big noise over the discovery of several hundred vintage "Hollywood Squares" shows from the 60s & 70s with Paul Lynde, Peter Marshall, Cliff "Charley Weaver" Arquette, Wally Cox & Rose Marie.  You can thank -SUPRISE!- Jim Pierson for this......

Wow my thanks to JP for sure, and Jim if you are reading this you have made many at the GSN board very happy!  That show has so many fans ~ and so many of the great gameshows got destroyed, more 'time capsules' lost :'(.   This is great Sarah-n-dippity!!

Salute!! :D
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2002, 05:21:02 AM »
Charles thanks for the info
i kinda thought that if that tape was around they'd show it!they did a pretty good job in the movie
with Faye! It would be just interesting to see how
she tried to pull it off!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2006, 10:31:33 PM »
Sorry but I can't see Joan Crawford as Elizabeth, can't stand that woman! From what I've heard she was a very difficult woman to work with and butted heads with a lot of people in Hollywood during her day. I don't think Dan Curtis would have tolerated Joan's "it's my way or no way at all!" attitude that she had.

Joan Bennett was perfect as dear Liz, Judith, Naomi, Flora. She was in my opinion the best actress on the show.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2006, 10:36:47 PM »
While I agree that Joan Crawford could never have been all the characters that Joan Bennett played so perfectly, I can't agree that she was the most talented actress on the show.  Nancy Barrett gets that accolade, in my opinion....hands down.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2006, 12:16:53 AM »
I don't think Dan Curtis would have tolerated Joan's "it's my way or no way at all!" attitude that she had.

Considering that according to several published reports that was also DC's attitude much of the time, it seems unlikely he would have allowed anyone other than himself to have that sort of attitude, much less get away with it.  [hall2_wink]

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2006, 01:01:03 AM »
I can't agree that she was the most talented actress on the show.  Nancy Barrett gets that accolade, in my opinion....hands down.

No problem, we all have different opinions on here. [hall2_smiley]

Nancy was definitely great in every role she played too. I think my favorite Nancy roles are Charity/Pansy and Leticia. I bet Charity, as [spoiler]possessed by Pansy Faye[/spoiler] must have been a real blast for her to play.