Author Topic: RIP Conard Fowkes  (Read 2547 times)

ClaudeNorth

RIP Conard Fowkes
« on: December 17, 2009, 12:06:29 AM »
I'm very sad to report that Conard Fowkes has passed away.  Fans of the pre-Barnabas era will remember Mr. Fowkes as that dreamy young lawyer, Frank Garner, a one-time potential love interest for Victoria Winters.

Playbill.com has an informative article about his life and career, of which DS was only a small part:  http://www.playbill.com/news/article/135346-Conard-Fowkes-Actor-and-Equity-Leader-Has-Died

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Conard Fowkes
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 12:48:39 AM »
How very sad.  In another band of Parallel Time beyond the ones we were ever vouchsafed to see, I like to think of Vicki falling in love with and marrying Frank, who helps her discover the truth about her past--that she is really Elizabeth's daughter by a brief, passionate love affair with Betty Hanscombe's mysterious, ne'er-do-well brother...

Besides his work on DS, Conrad Fowkes, by all accounts, was a remarkable human being.  May he rest in peace.

G.

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 03:15:29 AM »
So sorry to hear the sad news .   Conard was a great actor   .  May His Soul  Rest In  Peace
He will be missed.    Love   Anne [santa_cry]
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 03:38:17 AM »
how terribly sad...

another d.s. passing. mr. fowkes was a nice addition to the show's early days. i just rewatched the laura collins story and was reminded of that. frank was sweet with vicki.

we are fortunate those who got to meet mr. fowkes at the brooklyn fest(i believe his only one)in 2006.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 03:59:04 AM »
How sad! :(  Mr. Fowkes was so charming at the 2006 Festival, and still so youthful.  RIP.

ProfStokes

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 04:16:32 AM »
How very sad indeed. Rest In Peace Mr. Fowkes.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 07:13:36 AM »
It's been a few years now since I've seen those early episodes, but I remember being disappointed when "Frank Garner" disappeared from the story. I'm not sure if it was the character or the actor (probably a combination of both), but his stay was much too brief.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 07:35:18 AM »
There's an interview with Conard Fowkes on one of the pre-Barnabas DVDs, rather long and very interesting.  And the Playbill article about him is well worth reading.  Mr. Fowkes was an intelligent, kind man, and I wish he could have lived longer.  These days, 76 seems likes too young to die.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 10:19:45 AM »
How sad, indeed!  [santa_cry] I'm glad I got to see him at the 2006 Fest. I didn't know he was so old! He still looked great when I saw him at the Fest. Conard Fowkes, our beloved Frank Garner, RIP.

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 08:20:25 PM »
So sorry to hear about Conrad! I truly enjoyed his contribution to Dark Shadows! Only in the last year did I get to finally see all those Pre Barney episodes and I loved Conrad a lot and thought he was certainly dreamy and had the acting chops to go along with it!  In his interviews I would have never guessed his age.  I truly have to get to a Festival!  :(
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 12:27:55 AM »
Considering that Frank Garner was a lawyer, I wonder if DC ever considered bringing CF back to play aspiring lawyer Peter Bradford in 1795. 

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 04:31:03 AM »
I learned about Conard Fowkes's passing Tuesday morning from my supervisor, who learned the sad news late Monday evening.  Connie (his nickname for those of us who knew him) visited the Orlando Equity office in 1997 to set up the VITA tax program for Central Florida actors; I enjoyed conversations with him the last time I had business in our New York office.  He was a very nice man, though his very candid comments could often leave one feeling quite small--but I have to say, he was always right! And he could be very humorous and had a great laugh.  As Carol says in the article, he will be missed--by all of us.

There is more about Connie on the Equity website:  http://www.actorsequity.org/NewsMedia/news2009/dec16.conardfowkes.asp

Brian

Offline quentin-channing

• Junior Poster
  • Where's my milk? Oops, wrong show!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 08:31:36 AM »
Thank you Claude. Ir's always sad when another member of the DS family leaves us. To be honest though I knew next to nothing about him. I'm not sure I have ever seen an episode of DS that he was in. But he was quite handsome and from reading the obit he definitely had a positive impact on the industry and a long and varied career.

As I regularly do now these days, I went to Youtube to find old clips and out of curiosity I looked up Fowkes' name. Well nothing showed up but a career counseling/taxes video for dancers of all things.  As mind-numbing as tax laws are Fowkes was entertaining  to watch. I'm going to have to Netflix his episodes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WyV46MXWvA

(unfortunately the audio is way ahead of the video)

R.I.P. Mr Fowkes

Offline frank b

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 06:57:17 PM »
I must add that I am absolutely shocked at the death of Conard Fowkes. When I met him at the 2006 Fest in Brooklyn, he was remarkably youthful-looking, vigorous, and appeared to be in great health. He looked like he was in his late 50's. It is hard to believe that he is 76. I have a couple of excellent photos of Conard from that Fest. If I can scan them, I'll try and post them here.

Normally, I'm saddened but not shocked when another DS cast member passes, but I confess that this one really hit me by surprise.

Frank

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2009, 08:18:13 PM »
Considering that Frank Garner was a lawyer, I wonder if DC ever considered bringing CF back to play aspiring lawyer Peter Bradford in 1795.

If only! Though at that point I think he was still appearing on The Edge of Night.

The We Love Soaps Web site has two nice photos of Conard - one from his The Edge of Night days, and the other from when he was on Hidden Faces, which attempted to be NBC's version of Edge...