Author Topic: Dark Shadows Movie News!!!  (Read 2195 times)

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Dark Shadows Movie News!!!
« on: July 20, 2002, 01:44:37 AM »
From the Sci Fi Cahnnel Website:

Dark Shadows Lurks Again?

Dark Shadows creator Dan Curtis confirmed that he is developing a new big- screen version of his gothic soap opera, according to TV Guide Online. "We are working on making that happen," Curtis told the site. "We have people who are interested in providing financing, and we're having lots of conversations."

Curtis added, "Will it happen? I can't say, but it's a possibility. Do you want to hear something funny? We'd heard for ages that Johnny Depp always wanted to play Barnabas Collins, so we checked into it, and lo and behold, depending on the script, it is something that he'd like to do." He continued, "I'd also very much like to work with [screenwriter] Steven de Souza, and we've had a lot of fun talking about it. Dark Shadows has an undying audience. The show never goes away. It's running on SCI FI Channel, and 40 episodes were recently put out on a four-disc DVD set. I understand they sold out within days and [Mpi Media Group] had to go back for a second printing. Never in my life did I imagine that the show would still be around."

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Re: Dark Shadows Movie News!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2002, 01:54:49 AM »
I can see Johnny Depp in the role of Barnabas Collins, especially after seeing him in Edward Scissorhands.  He was sensitive and sad in that movie, very introspective.  Perhaps he could be "son of Barnabas."  But who would Mom be, folks?

Love, Robin

Offline Kid_A_Grue

• Incestors?!?
    • View Profile
    • My Diary
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2002, 07:25:03 AM »
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

OH MY SWEET WEEPING JESUS ON THE CROSS!!!

JOHHNY DEPP!!!! HE IS MY PIMP!!!
OMG if Depp is Barnabas then BITE NOW!!!!

I'm a reasonable Grue get off my case get off my case get off my case.  All your Base are belong to us!

Offline Bj

• Junior Poster
  • I've always been quite fond of you, Liz...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2002, 08:09:48 AM »
IMO:  Depp has too much of that pretty-boy, druggie look to play the part of Barnabus.  I could see him portraying Willie, though, just as he would make an excellent Renfield.

My vote for Barnabus:  Christopher Walken!  He may not be sexy, but can he drip with evil! :D
Jason: "There's just one thing I don't understand..."
Willie: "I didn't do it -- I swear!"

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2002, 04:52:29 PM »
Christopher Walken, in my opinion, is sexy.  I think that it (sexy) depends on the person.  Christopher Walken, he can drip that evil on me anytime.  Barnabas, Tommy Lee Jones, Gary Oldman, and the biggest one of all, Robert De Niro, all I have to do is hear there voice and I'm there.  I would do anything.  So call me crazy, call me anything you want to, but just call me if these guys are in town.
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2002, 05:51:13 AM »
I can see Johnny Depp in the role of Barnabas Collins, especially after seeing him in Edward Scissorhands.  He was sensitive and sad in that movie, very introspective.

I hope he gets the role, I like him too. My favorite movie of his is "A Nightmare On Elm Street", first one, I know they made a bunch of them.
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline WileyS

• Junior Poster
  • DS fan and bookaholic :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2002, 10:44:01 PM »
I think Depp would be good in the role too. Actually, regardless of who stars in a new version of DS or if it's going to be on t.v., stage, or film, I just think it's exciting that production/t.v./film people keep TALKING about it! Keeping fingers crossed that something happens. Or if not, that it will show Sci Fi Channel/MPI Home Video that there's enough interest in the show to keep airing the show and keep the DVDs/videotapes available.
Wiley S.

Offline Brad

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2002, 01:32:24 AM »
Hi all:

I just hope this movie happens!  With or without Johnny Depp.  

I just remember as a kid going to HoDS with my friends, at the local movie house, and being blown away by that feature film.  It still holds up well... to this day.

My only thoughts are: What story lines are Steven de Souza and Dan Curtis considering?  Is Bob Cobert going to do the music compositions?  What locations(New England?)are they going to use?

Any thoughts... ideas???  Keep your fingers crossed... Brad

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2002, 01:39:00 AM »
I'll believe this is even remotely possible when some one besides the insufferable Mr. Curtis makes an announcement.  I think he trots that empty promise out any chance he gets because it generates more attention for him.  

Around my house his 'news' would be accompanied by a choral "And Pigs Will Fly!!"  :P

Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline ShadowsAtlanta

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2002, 01:42:05 AM »
If there is a new movie, DC take note:  please, please, PLEASE no more Barnabas-appearing-and-posing-as-a-cousin-from-England!   It's time for something new, and there has never been a better time to breathe new life into DS with a fresh, updated storyline!  Thanks for listening...    :)

Offline Miles

• ** Time Traveling Orphan Governess **
  • Full Poster
  • Witch Hunter Robin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2002, 03:41:27 AM »
If there is a new movie, DC take note:  please, please, PLEASE no more Barnabas-appearing-and-posing-as-a-cousin-from-England!   It's time for something new, and there has never been a better time to breathe new life into DS with a fresh, updated storyline!  Thanks for listening...    :)

It would be interesting to guess exactly what he has in store for a new Dark Shadows production.  I agree with you that it would be pretty stupid to rehash what weve already seen more than once.  Though I didn't mind what the revival series was trying to do (and i think it could have gone new places) I think it showed that DC was still attached to the idea of "Vicki on a train going to New England".  I have to expect he'll include at least some of "his" themes and ideas in any new incarnation of DS.
Three hundred and twenty years have passed since the coven sank in the dark...

Offline Miles

• ** Time Traveling Orphan Governess **
  • Full Poster
  • Witch Hunter Robin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2002, 03:50:39 AM »
Oh, and another thing  :).  I doubt if DC is listening to anything dark shadows fans have to say (well, maybe a little).
Three hundred and twenty years have passed since the coven sank in the dark...

Offline scout75

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2002, 07:15:45 AM »
My vote for Barnabas: Christopher Walken!  He may not be sexy, but can he drip with evil!

I don't know...

I kind of see Walken as a better choice for Nicky Blair.

BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline Raholt

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2002, 09:46:08 AM »
Everytime I hear this come up, I cringe.  I have yet to see a film remake of a classic series that even came close to being as good as the original and in most cases even came close to resembling the original.  

Fan always get excited when this kind of thing comes up, but in the end are usually disappointed by the results.  What they want to see is a remake of what they remember, but what Hollywood wants to give is a remake with a twist and it is those twist that usually end up hurting the film remakes.  

I still remember the 1991 mini series and I am one of those who enjoyed it, but I remember people complaining that it was not like the original.  It was not as good as the original.  It was DIFFERENT than the original.  It was and you really had to judge it on its own merits and as a show onto itself, it was enjoyable.  When compared to the original, it didn't outdue the original and didn't have the charm of the original series.  Most fans end up comparing remake films, especially, to the original product and 99% of the time they are disappointed by what they see in the remake.  

So I know I'm in the minority when I say that I have seen a remake of DS once and don't really care to see another because I think with each one, it is likely to change more and more and degrade and deminish from the original and there is just no way to capture what made the original work and it did.  It was a kind of magic that happens for some shows and films and even with the best writers, actors and story, most times it can not be recaptured again.  

Raholt

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2002, 06:53:31 PM »
Johnny Depp as Barnabas, hmmm, I don't know he doesn't seem exactly right physically - not that he wouldn't make a good vampire - I'm just not sure I can see him as our vampire.  He's more the right age than Frid was though - for instance, it would be more believable to think he had a sister Sarah's age.  

Overall though, I agree with Raholt about this proposed project.

Fan always get excited when this kind of thing comes up, but in the end are usually disappointed by the results.  What they want to see is a remake of what they remember, but what Hollywood wants to give is a remake with a twist and it is those twist that usually end up hurting the film remakes.

So true.  The movie "Lost in Space" was a good BAD example of this.  As for DS it's not that I wouldn't be first in line to see the film.  It's just that, after all this time and my attachment to everything from specific actors to the set of Collinwood, I think (in my case at least) you really can't go home again. Of course, you can look at the old snap shots until enjoy them until your blue in the face!  [grinb]
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad